Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3184708 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3340 on: August 30, 2006, 06:37:06 pm »
come on Lucise, you can do it, I want to stay up for your 4,000th post!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3341 on: August 30, 2006, 06:57:58 pm »
I did it Louise!  :D
Kell threw me and Lee and Paul a party .. we are still partying it up over there.. :P

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3342 on: August 30, 2006, 07:05:52 pm »
Excellent job with Calico, very nice touch up too!! Just like I imagined her.  LOL
Thanks for all the work of bringing the story to visual life with your gallery updates.

thanks Louise, for getting another chapter up today.   Just what I love finding/reading when I get in.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3343 on: August 30, 2006, 11:22:21 pm »
Okay, I am just dying to hear pastorfred's wise summary of the most recent chapter...

Fred?  (I would imagine you've shared this in chat... share on the thread as well?)

;D
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #3344 on: August 30, 2006, 11:51:43 pm »
Okay, I am just dying to hear pastorfred's wise summary of the most recent chapter...

Fred?  (I would imagine you've shared this in chat... share on the thread as well?)

;D

Whoa, Kelly! It sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on the most recent chapter, yourself, probably better than anything I could have to say.

Snow at the higher elevations of the northern rockies is not unusual any time of year, but it's to be expected in September. Warm, pleasant days are also a possibility. Ennis is clearly showing a lot of care and concern for Ellery, and as ever, wishing he had done more of that for Jack.

The chapter is an important transition between family time in Riverton and the time Ennis and Ellery will share on the sacred ground of Brokeback Mountain. Mother nature has given them a little more time to get ready, and my guess is that they need it. They will get up to the summit at the right time, and they will be ready for the experience they need to have there. It might be of interest to note that "summit" in this context means the highest place on a road or trail, not the highest peak.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3345 on: August 31, 2006, 12:12:52 am »
Ah, Fred, that was just lovely.  Thanks!  Did you notice that it was your 111th post?  I'm sure that has some meaning in numerology...

I like what you said about Mother Nature, and them reaching the summit at the right time... reminds me of this, from a poem called Desiderata...

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

We should also sum up all of your wise sayings... your sayings, and Ellery's wise-cracks, would provide one a lifetime of material for thought, I would think.
 ;)

(Is it your experience in sermonizing that enables you to do these summaries so well?  Or just natural brilliance?  lol)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3346 on: August 31, 2006, 05:47:08 am »
well guys, one thing to remember is that I have sort of "set aside" this volume as a departure from Laramie and the relatively predictable day-to-day of Ellery and Ennis's life and work there.  And that means a different "pace" for this story.

Believe it or not, it is already over 10,000 words, and we haven't gotten to the trailhead yet.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3347 on: August 31, 2006, 06:38:58 am »
This is where Ennis and Ellery will stop tonight:

Lander, WY

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3348 on: August 31, 2006, 06:45:21 am »
Yes indeed, the last bastion o' civilization before they head on up to Brokeback.

now hold on... mapquest tells me Lander is south of Riverton. I thought Riverton was a lot further south than it is.

Change of venue, folks:  Dubois.  Please check the edited chapter!  Whew, good thing I was bored and doing map checking today.

Dubois is where  Ennis and Jack stopped to eat on their way back from Brokeback on their way to Signal.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 07:12:30 am by louisev »

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3349 on: August 31, 2006, 06:48:24 am »
Downtown Laramie. I guess Ellery's office and the Red Stallion is around here.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.