Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3184483 times)

Offline alexisg

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2850 on: August 13, 2006, 10:40:58 am »
One thing I do wish to make clear:  one of my super-pet-peeves in fan fiction is "evil ugly Alma" and "evil ugly Lureen."  While Ennis certainly never had the same feelings of deep passion toward Alma as he did toward Jack (he had sex with Jack before he did with Alma, LOTS OF IT,) he did feel a great affection for her, enough for him to stay married to her despite the fact that he knew he wanted Jack in a completely different and much more powerful way.

One of my goals in my story is to illustrate what I thought was the original intent of Annie Proulx in portraying Alma AND Lureen as wives who were loved, as people, but not truly desired, because their husbands were already passionately in love with one another.

This is one of my pet peeves as well, Louise.  I believe that Ennis cared an awful lot about Alma, and was wracked with a lot of guilt for not being able to love her the way he should.   I don't buy into Alma going crazy on his ass (as is seen in a lot of fics) - any woman would be broken to discover her husband was not only gay, but that and maybe even more painful, that he is passionately in love with someone else.  I think that's what hurt Alma more, seeing Ennis display that passion that she never had with him.  It's part jealousy, part confusion and it just ends up in a whole lot of hurt.  Alma obviously wasn't an evil person - she was simply a woman who lost what she wanted most and perhaps realised she never really had it. 

Offline CarolK1943

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2851 on: August 13, 2006, 11:15:55 am »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/91763.html  "Chapter 63:  100%"

Warning:  Queer Sex

Well, DUH! After about a million chapters that should be clear by now.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2852 on: August 13, 2006, 11:16:49 am »
None of this applies to Ellery, of course, whose own temperament and psychology makes it completely impossible for him to imagine even kissing a woman, and in fact pull the potentially dangerous stunt of stealing Lance Wayland's drawers from gym class in high school.  If that means he gets a different number in the Kinsey scale then so be it... but it could also be chalked up to temperament and the early recognition of his homosexuality, which from all accounts, does vary between individuals.

Ellery and Lance went to high school together?  Did I miss something?  Or is that upcoming info?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2853 on: August 13, 2006, 11:17:24 am »

Thanks for the warning Louise!!!
 :D
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2854 on: August 13, 2006, 11:21:09 am »
Ellery and Lance went to high school together?  Did I miss something?  Or is that upcoming info?

different Lance.  But as a result of his early lust for Lance Wayland Ellery is very partial to men named Lance.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2855 on: August 13, 2006, 11:26:53 am »
*typity type type type*

I am here all by my lonesome in chat... Leslie is off to have a lobster meal with her neglected husband, Natali is cleaning up and doing errands, and here I am... chained to my keyboard, typing!

Anyone who wants to join me in chat, come on down!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
« Reply #2856 on: August 13, 2006, 11:31:54 am »
One thing I do wish to make clear:  one of my super-pet-peeves in fan fiction is "evil ugly Alma" and "evil ugly Lureen." 
I totally agree with you and alexisg on this, Louise.  I see Alma and Laureen as victims of circumstance, and of the times in which they lived, just as much as Ennis and Jack were victims.  They both started out as idealistic young women in love, and slowly became bitter disillusioned middle-aged women.  They wasted some of the best years of their lives trying to gain the love of men who were incapable of loving them, at least in the way they wanted to be loved.
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
« Reply #2857 on: August 13, 2006, 11:42:08 am »
Great chapter, Louise!
Okay, okay, I take it all back, Ennis gets a six! :laugh:
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2858 on: August 13, 2006, 11:59:53 am »
hahahahah!

I think it is possible that Ennis, by virtue of his own denial, may have functioned adequately in a heterosexual relationship... but I would take this to the bank, I don't think he ever had that kind of pleasure in sex with Alma.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2859 on: August 13, 2006, 12:35:32 pm »
Greetings folks!!

Got a few chapters to go catch up on.. :)

Errr...I dint think there would be another kind in any chapter Louise .. ;D
Off to read ..