Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3184647 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3130 on: August 23, 2006, 05:03:01 am »
Here I am, friends, popping up like a bad penny.

What a non-day I have had:  first, the foreign office.  They couldn't find my file and said to come back next week.  And I argued, but I have an operation coming up and my visa runs out at the end of the month.  And the guy laughed and said you wouldn't believe how many people come in late to get their visas renewed, don't worry about it.  They LOST my FILE?

Next, the hospital.  The doctor listened to my pleas to take out that packing GENTLY,and repacked it again, and I am definitely better, even though I have this nagging, constant and ONGOING pain, then I begged him some more for some REAL narcotic so I can have some real relief from pain, and I don't know what he wrote down (since I have never heard of it), but I'm going to give that a try, and when I get so sick of it I'll ration out my remaining drops of codeine.  But I slept okay last night, my operation is scheduled for Monday, my lump is down, and believe it or not...

I'm back at work.  So I might actually have some writing done later.  It must have been that ENTIRE DAY of browsing Hugh Jackman pics because I am certain that guy dancing and squirming around on top of a piano in my dreams had to have been him.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3131 on: August 23, 2006, 06:31:40 am »
Here I am, friends, popping up like a bad penny.

What a non-day I have had:  first, the foreign office.  They couldn't find my file and said to come back next week.  And I argued, but I have an operation coming up and my visa runs out at the end of the month.  And the guy laughed and said you wouldn't believe how many people come in late to get their visas renewed, don't worry about it.  They LOST my FILE?

I'm not surprised. I don't know how it works in Germany, but in Spain when you request a visa for the first time they ask you to provide copies of your documents, and you keep the originals. You have to show the originals there, but they keep the copies. When you renew it you have to show everything again as if it were the first time. The reason is that they have so many visa request to process that everything gets easily lost. Last time I went to renew my visa, I was supposed to show evidence of having a health insurance, but I had forgotten the card at home. So, they told me they'd send me a letter with an appointment for me to go back and bring it over. I never got that so called letter. Instead, I got a letter telling me that my visa had been approved. They totally forgot about the health insurance card.  So I wouldn't worry about it Louise. Just in case, when you go back, bring all of your original documents so they don't have to look for your file. If you can do that, of course.

I'm glad you're doing better already.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #3132 on: August 23, 2006, 06:43:06 am »
It must have been that ENTIRE DAY of browsing Hugh Jackman pics because I am certain that guy dancing and squirming around on top of a piano in my dreams had to have been him.

A scene from your dream Louise?

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3133 on: August 23, 2006, 06:48:41 am »
ah, uh, uh, uh, what a wonderful fit those black pants are!

You know what is sad is that the real Peter Allen was no pretty boy.  He was slender and could certainly dance, but he looked like a longer-nosed Quentin Tarantino.  Hugh is a whole lot prettier, in every way.

A review of the newly revived Sydney show of "Boy from Oz" says that Hugh's personality dominates the show so much that it could just as well be called "The Hugh Jackman show" and nobody would care!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3134 on: August 23, 2006, 09:27:43 am »
I really love him with his Ellery hair...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 09:30:52 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3135 on: August 23, 2006, 09:29:02 am »
Classic Ellery dressing

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3136 on: August 23, 2006, 09:31:53 am »
This is my favorite from that fan site:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 09:35:20 am by louisev »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3137 on: August 23, 2006, 09:39:35 am »
I cannot get enough of this smile!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3138 on: August 23, 2006, 09:44:46 am »

Here is a lovely fan photo, looks like the same night.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3139 on: August 23, 2006, 10:08:01 am »
well thank goodness for Leslie and her sense of time.... Somehow in the midst of my pain-wracked delirium I have Ellery working a 7 day week which means I have to rework chapters 80 through 82.

Please bear with us during our renovations...!