Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3229038 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2990 on: August 18, 2006, 10:32:50 am »
Now ya done got me started! I just have to say a little more about that photograph of my inner Ellery. If we can keep the depth, kindness, wisdom and humor in the eyes, while making them slate grey in color, we have Ellery exactly as I see him.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2991 on: August 18, 2006, 10:49:36 am »
I am sitting here in the office, staring out the window when a truck pulls up to the fish place downstairs (my office is on top of a wholesale fish business). It's a little refrigerated seafood truck, here to pick up their supplies for the fish market and on the side it says: CANTRELL SEAFOOD. LOL, I am not making this up! I wish I had a camera...

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline pastorfred

• spirituality handbook
« Reply #2992 on: August 18, 2006, 10:58:48 am »
I am sitting here in the office, staring out the window when a truck pulls up to the fish place downstairs (my office is on top of a wholesale fish business). It's a little refrigerated seafood truck, here to pick up their supplies for the fish market and on the side it says: CANTRELL SEAFOOD. LOL, I am not making this up! I wish I had a camera...

Leslie

Well, Leslie, let's allow our imaginations to run wild. Didn't Ellery's father have a cousin in Maine? I was thinking he went into the seafood business. It's nice to think that the business has stayed in the family, or at least kept the family name.

;)
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2993 on: August 18, 2006, 11:01:48 am »
I don't wish to alarm anyone...

Over the past day, my tooth infection, which is supposed to be slated for root resection surgery in the immediate future (but is not yet scheduled) has reached a point of extreme discomfort.  My dentist wrote me an antibiotic prescription (I wish he had done that a week ago!) which we are both hopeful might bring the infection down some, but I am at a point where the anti inflammatories are just barely keeping me able to sit.

My point in telling you all of this depressing news is that when the pain gets to a certain point, I can't concentrate at all, and that means I may lose my ability to write.  Which means there may not be any updates.  I am hoping the antibiotics help and that I reach the surgeon on Monday, but if they don't... please bear with me, and look for me in chat, because one thing I tend to do besides eat anything in sight, is chat compulsively when I am in pain.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Scott6373

« Reply #2994 on: August 18, 2006, 11:06:35 am »
Ouch...been there Louise.  The antibiotics will help, but it may take 24-48 hours.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2995 on: August 18, 2006, 11:07:32 am »
I don't wish to alarm anyone...

Over the past day, my tooth infection, which is supposed to be slated for root resection surgery in the immediate future (but is not yet scheduled) has reached a point of extreme discomfort.  My dentist wrote me an antibiotic prescription (I wish he had done that a week ago!) which we are both hopeful might bring the infection down some, but I am at a point where the anti inflammatories are just barely keeping me able to sit.

My point in telling you all of this depressing news is that when the pain gets to a certain point, I can't concentrate at all, and that means I may lose my ability to write.  Which means there may not be any updates.  I am hoping the antibiotics help and that I reach the surgeon on Monday, but if they don't... please bear with me, and look for me in chat, because one thing I tend to do besides eat anything in sight, is chat compulsively when I am in pain.

Don't worry about the updates Louise. Just take care of yourself, get some rest and take the antibiotics. The story can wait, don't worry.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline pastorfred

• spirituality handbook
« Reply #2996 on: August 18, 2006, 11:25:40 am »
Thanks for those good words, Natali! Those are my sentiments exactly, and, I'm sure, the sentiments of all Louise's loyal fans.

Also, Natali, did you notice that yours was the first post on our thread's PAGE 200?!

Yee Haww!
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2997 on: August 18, 2006, 11:42:17 am »
Morning folks!

Louise ~ Do focus on getting better, there will be plenty of updates when you are well and comfortable again.  We can all wait, your tooth can't.  Take care of yerself!  :-*

Happy 200 pages folks!
We are only a coupla posts away from 3000 posts here!  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2998 on: August 18, 2006, 11:56:40 am »
okay.  Antibiotics in hand, as well as some refreezable ice packs, which my dentist tells me will help with the pain.  So I have this pack strapped to my neck, and my pharmacist told me just how much of these ketoprofens I can take, and I'm battening down the hatches.  I sure hope I survive the weekend.

So now I am in chat, making spaghetti bolognese, and preparing to go ahead with the next chapter.  Come see me if you are around folks!  When it gets to be too much I'll retreat to the bedroom with ice.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
« Reply #2999 on: August 18, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
Louise,

I second what everyone else has said.  Your health and comfort are more important than updates.  Take care of yourself.  We can wait.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Laurel
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)