Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167292 times)

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4210 on: September 21, 2006, 12:40:51 pm »
Hi NavyVet. I have to say that the idea of Ennis and Ellery having intentional quiet sex would be VERY hot and erotic.  My mind is thinking all kinds now - all kinky and naughty things.   ;)   

Me likes the way you think!   ;)
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #4211 on: September 21, 2006, 02:25:29 pm »
I was at a Big Band concert last night and heard this song performed by a wonderful male vocalist.  I thought I'd share it, coz the lyrics remind me of Ennis and Ellery (though they could work for Jack and Ennis, too.)

My One True Friend   

And now, is it too late to say
How you made my life so different in your quiet way?
I can see the joy in simple things,
a sunlit sky and all the songs we used to sing.
I have walked and I have I prayed.
I could forgive and we could start again.
In the end,
you are my one true friend.
For all, all the times you closed your eyes,
allowing me to stumble or to be surprised,
by life, with all it's twists and turns.
I made mistakes, you always knew that I would learn.
And when I left, it's you who stayed.
You always knew that I'd come home again.
In the end,
you are my one true friend.
Though love may break, it never dies.
It changes shape, through changing eyes.
What I denied, I now can see.
You always were the light inside of me.
I know, I know, I know, I know it was you.
I have walked and I have I prayed.
I could forgive and we could start again.
In the end, you are my one true friend.
My one true friend.
I always, always knew,
I always knew that it was you,
my one true friend. 

*sigh*  I thought it was a beautiful and fitting song, but it was hard being on the audience end of things.  You see, I'd been in this band for the past 3+ years until very recently.  I had to quit playing sax due to dental problems flaring up again.  I left 2 other perfoming groups in the past couple of weeks, as well. Since being a musician is the only thing I've ever known how to do in my life, I miss it.  So, I've decided to learn the flute.  It arrived the other day.
Wish me luck! 8)
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4212 on: September 21, 2006, 02:50:10 pm »
Me likes the way you think!   ;)
Me too!  ;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #4213 on: September 21, 2006, 02:54:48 pm »
I was at a Big Band concert last night and heard this song performed by a wonderful male vocalist.  I thought I'd share it, coz the lyrics remind me of Ennis and Ellery (though they could work for Jack and Ennis, too.)

*sigh*  I thought it was a beautiful and fitting song, but it was hard being on the audience end of things.  You see, I'd been in this band for the past 3+ years until very recently.  I had to quit playing sax due to dental problems flaring up again.  I left 2 other perfoming groups in the past couple of weeks, as well. Since being a musician is the only thing I've ever known how to do in my life, I miss it.  So, I've decided to learn the flute.  It arrived the other day.
Wish me luck! 8)
This really was beautiful. Thank you so much  :)

I'm really sorry you had to quit playing sax  :( Hopefully playing the flute will be just as much fun  :)

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4214 on: September 21, 2006, 03:14:22 pm »
On a more subdued note, 

When reading the last chapters, where Ennis and Alma were arguing about Ennis and Ellery’s relationship, I wanted Ennis to just tell Alma to “Grow Up”. But I had to remind myself that the story takes place in 1984, not today.  Sometimes I read the story with  2006 sensibilities. 

Also, I need to remember that this all takes place in the mid-west which is much more conservative than either of the coasts.  Ennis is sometime correct in his concern about what people think and what they might do. Ellery is sometimes very cavalier in his attitude and disposition of self.  Confident in a way that money and position afford.  I don’t think he fully appreciates yet Ennis’s position, or how much he has overcome. 

Has anyone else had readjust their thinking to 1984?

I live in the midwest-my state shares a border line with WY-(midwest and west at least here is determined by the Missouri River--East of it is Midwest and West of it is West River and people say that is where the west starts-but we are pretty close-and was living here in 1984---people would have been some shocked, but even back then---consenting adults---means consenting adults, and what happens between them is no bodys business but theirs---especially no business of anyone's EX wife!!
Even in the sticks-life is like anywhere else-drugs were here then--adultery is common, and affairs happen, and so does living in the midst of a few same sex couples. My hubby and married in '77 and we used to go to a special theater with midnight matines that showed XXX of all sorts on any given Saturday night.     I am still for telling her to mind her own business!!
We were in  the sticks and won't say it is common in any given county--but it was here just like it was everywhere only the numbers are lower due to lower population levels in general.
People may have been alittle more open about sniggering about it back then, because no one really understood unless you really knew people actually involved, and those were brave souls--but they were here too.      And in '84 there had started to be a lot more education about things like that.
After the 70s and Viet Nam, no one was truly innocent anymore, even out here.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 03:23:42 pm by ranchgal »

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4215 on: September 21, 2006, 03:27:05 pm »
Well you know, where someone is keeping horses there's usually a barn.  ::)

Outside for real is better than the barn!!!  Manure builds up in barns, and there is always loose dirt, straw, hay and the occasional burr, etc etc, its a pain in the butt!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4216 on: September 21, 2006, 03:34:15 pm »
Leave it to a real Ranch gal to describe what REAL barn conditions are like!  Not the kind of place you want to take a man with a bruised rib for a little nookie on the sly!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #4217 on: September 21, 2006, 03:44:18 pm »
Here is an interesting article regarding current recommendations for AIDS testing from the CDC... (this is on topic because I was recently discussing whether E and E should really breathe a sigh of relief regarding their own status...)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14938109/
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4218 on: September 21, 2006, 03:45:41 pm »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/117938.html  "Chapter 57:  Warpath"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4219 on: September 21, 2006, 04:02:31 pm »
Chapter 57 Spoiler
I think it is time that Alma junior got out of Riverton.