Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131975 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5070 on: October 06, 2006, 04:53:55 am »
Mornin all. Mornin June. ;) ;) ;) Right, it,s raining and it,s miserable her in the UK at the moment so we need lots of hot stuff please to warm us up.  ;D ;D

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5071 on: October 06, 2006, 05:55:55 am »
Morning everyone.  I feel the same as you Souxi, the weather in the UK is rubbish and only a bit of hot loving between E&E will cheer me up and warm me up.  ;)

Had a bit of a E&E moment earlier - was taking the kids to school, walked past a shop that had "winter bird food hampers" and I thought of Ennis and his little fascination with the bird feeder in their garden. 

I know, I've lost the plot.   ::)

Offline christie wood

« Reply #5072 on: October 06, 2006, 05:56:36 am »
thanks Jo, for that vote.  London is looking like a good option for me at this point, at least for a short-term situation.

Best of luck Louise,  hope all goes well.  Kazza will be pleased if you end up in London!

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #5073 on: October 06, 2006, 05:59:17 am »
Much as I love Ennis and find his jealous streak quite sexy I have to say that he does go overboard - to the extent that poor Ellery has no privacy. Under Ennis' relentless questioning everything comes under the spotlight including incidental conversations, the subject of telephone calls and even what he happened to be dreaming - hence he learned that Dupree had a cameo appearance in a dream. So if Ennis finds out something he is unhappy about whose fault is that?

If I were Ellery I would be working out some defensive stonewall tactics - not that that would work as Ennis seems to zero in like a heat-seeking missile to anything unspoken.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:03:14 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5074 on: October 06, 2006, 06:03:15 am »
I will indeed. Always good to welcome talent to our shores. And of course I can put into action my dastardly plan to ensure that the Laramie Saga continues forever...... MMMWAAAAAA HAAA HAAAA HAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

BTW I second Souxi - it is a miserable day here.

Karen
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:07:24 am by Kazza »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5075 on: October 06, 2006, 06:13:28 am »
Much as I love Ennis and find his jealous streak quite sexy I have to say that he does go overboard - to the extent that poor Ellery has no privacy. Under Ennis' relentless questioning everything comes under the spotlight including incidental conversations, the subject of telephone calls and even what he happened to be dreaming - hence he learned that Dupree had a cameo appearance in a dream. So if Ennis finds out something he is unhappy about whose fault is that?

If I were Ellery I would be working out some defensive stonewall tactics - not that that would work as Ennis seems to zero in like a heat-seeking missile to anything unspoken.

yes, he does go overboard.  However, in Simon's situation Ennis wasn't worried about Ellery being sexually interested in him - he thought it had something to do with the bar and was sticking his nose into the gossip.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline christie wood

« Reply #5076 on: October 06, 2006, 06:14:57 am »

I do agree with you in a way. Ennis' jealous streak is very very sexy imho, but it can get a bit much sometimes.  But at least Ennis has told Ellery that he is a jealous man, he's not hiding that aspect of his personality.  Ellery knows it, so whatever Ellery chooses to tell him, he has to expect some kind of reaction depending on what it is.  

Loved how you described Ennis, "zero in like a heat-seaking missile to anything unspoken".  You are absolutely right, its quite unnerving sometimes.  I think its partly because Ellery is normally so open and honest about stuff, that when he isnt, or is appearing a bit vague, then Ennis homes in on that and will not let go.

A bit like a coyote when he comes a-biting.  

Talking of coyotes, is anyone else missing Mr Coyote.  I know I am.   ;D

Offline christie wood

« Reply #5077 on: October 06, 2006, 06:16:25 am »
yes, he does go overboard.  However, in Simon's situation Ennis wasn't worried about Ellery being sexually interested in him - he thought it had something to do with the bar and was sticking his nose into the gossip.

You are right in that aspect Louise.  And Ellery was being a bit vague too, which didn't help.  I felt for Ellery then though, because he knew that he'd probably have to end up telling Ennis his surprise when he really didnt want to. 

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5078 on: October 06, 2006, 06:24:51 am »
Ellery dropped a big hint that he likes surprises and I'm intrigued to see what Ennis decides to do. I think that he will prove expert at playing his cards close to his chest. Mmmm... sounds like a nice place to be.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5079 on: October 06, 2006, 06:39:05 am »
You are right in that aspect Louise.  And Ellery was being a bit vague too, which didn't help.  I felt for Ellery then though, because he knew that he'd probably have to end up telling Ennis his surprise when he really didnt want to. 

Actually, Ellery seemed to cave in pretty easily about telling the surprise, so I don't think he really minded. Remember, he has a job where he has to keep information to himself and reveal things a bit at a time, so if he really wanted to keep his surprise a secret, he could have.

In fact, I think this is part of what Ellery likes about life with Ennis...he doesn't have to keep everything private and can be open and honest. I am a bit like Ennis in this way...I don't really like surprises, either. My husband has learned to involve me in "surprises" and it really makes us both happier, in the long run.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!