Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131870 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5290 on: October 11, 2006, 09:16:46 am »
I admit that I find the girls annoying sometimes. However, I agree with David that Ennis needs them in his life. Despite their annoying ways, behaving like brats or showing up unannounced, deep inside both Ennis and Ellery are happy that Junior and Francine accept their relationship. This is very important for men like Ennis, to know and feel that their own kids love them regardless of whom they go to bed with. We have to keep in mind that Ennis spent half his life hiding away in the mountains ashamed of himself and afraid of being discovered. So Junior and Francine's way to show him that it is okay with them that he is in love with a man ought to make him and Ellery immensely happy. Perhaps, E&E should consider planning out some weekends with the girls. Fix the apartment above the stallion so they can have a place to stay, next time they come to visit. But as TH said, Ennis has to find away to set some boundaries without making them feel unwelcome.

Yep agree with everything you said there. I just wish they,d learn to use a phone lol.   ::)

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5291 on: October 11, 2006, 09:19:29 am »
Exactly right June. I,ts not so much that they turn up that annoys me, it,s that they turn up unanounced. They didnt even have the manners to phone first and ask if it was ok. They just assume that they,ll be welcome. God forbid Ennis and Ellery should have had something planned for the weekend. And like you said June, Ennis worries so much about hurting their feelings he always feels he has to give in to them They dont seem to consider his feelings atall. I find them both extreemly immature tbh. Hard to beleive they are supposed to be adults.

I totally agree Souxi.  Ennis is very eager to please them both and he is also conscious of Ellery too, who has made it clear about how he see the girls - Junior in particular - manipulating Ennis and he doesnt like it.  So I think Ennis is actually caught in a difficult situation.  But it isnt helped by them turning up unannounced like that.  Like you say, what if they had something planned?  Its not like they've just come from round the corner.

And things were just getting interesting before they turned up.....

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5292 on: October 11, 2006, 09:20:24 am »
Good idea!

This is Hugh...

But this is... ELLERY!

;D  ;D  ;D

Oh both pics are very yummy......Ellery wins every time though for me.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #5293 on: October 11, 2006, 09:20:53 am »
I admit that I find the girls annoying sometimes. However, I agree with David that Ennis needs them in his life. Despite their annoying ways, behaving like brats or showing up unannounced, deep inside both Ennis and Ellery are happy that Junior and Francine accept their relationship. This is very important for men like Ennis, to know and feel that their own kids love them regardless of whom they go to bed with. We have to keep in mind that Ennis spent half his life hiding away in the mountains ashamed of himself and afraid of being discovered. So Junior and Francine's way to show him that it is okay with them that he is in love with a man ought to make him and Ellery immensely happy. Perhaps, E&E should consider planning out some weekends with the girls. Fix the apartment above the stallion so they can have a place to stay, next time they come to visit. But as TH said, Ennis has to find away to set some boundaries without making them feel unwelcome.

I most definitely agree Ennis needs them in his life and I couldn't be more happier that Junior and Francine accept their relationship and it's not that I don't like them, far from it, they've given me plenty of good giggles; I really enjoyed those chapters where they were giggling over Ennis and Ellery ( although I think I was the only one  :D) it's just that I would have enjoyed reading about their nice and relaxed Saturday morning quality time with each other  :D

I guess there will be plenty more chapters with lovely E and E stuff like that coming up  :)

But before you know it,  this book will be finished too  :'(  I don't even want to think about that  :(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5294 on: October 11, 2006, 09:28:11 am »
you know what is funny about those long-hair pictures:  Hugh had that done in the studio for "Van Helsing" and because it was so time-consuming, he left the hair extensions in between shoots, and that included a lot of guest appearances and interviews, as well as being a long-hair at home.  One interviewer commented on the hair, and he said "Yes, I'm a rock star!  Now my son calls me Mummy."
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #5295 on: October 11, 2006, 09:28:31 am »
In the film I felt irritated with the girls (probably unreasonably) because they seemed as screaming babies to be part of that dreadful domestic chaos that Ennis was plunged into and later appeared as a factor keeping Ennis and Jack apart (eg the post divorce kiss-off). They seemed part of what was tying Ennis down in an external sense although we know he was tied down in an internal sense as well.

In summary, I identify them with a bleak period in Ennis' life and this colours my attitude to them now.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #5296 on: October 11, 2006, 09:32:09 am »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5297 on: October 11, 2006, 09:33:39 am »
In the film I felt irritated with the girls (probably unreasonably) because they seemed as screaming babies to be part of that dreadful domestic chaos that Ennis was plunged into and later appeared as a factor keeping Ennis and Jack apart (eg the post divorce kiss-off). They seemed part of what was tying Ennis down in an external sense although we know he was tied down in an internal sense as well.

In summary, I identify them with a bleak period in Ennis' life and this colours my attitude to them now.

Yeah well but it isn't their fault, is it? I didn't find them annoying. They loved their daddy and they made it very clear in the movie. I felt bad for them in the thanksgiving scene, when Ennis storms out of the house, and they follow him to the porch saying "goodbye daddy", and Ennis doesn't even notice.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:36:01 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5298 on: October 11, 2006, 09:36:54 am »
you know what is funny about those long-hair pictures:  Hugh had that done in the studio for "Van Helsing" and because it was so time-consuming, he left the hair extensions in between shoots, and that included a lot of guest appearances and interviews, as well as being a long-hair at home.  One interviewer commented on the hair, and he said "Yes, I'm a rock star!  Now my son calls me Mummy."

If he only knew how hot he looks with long hair!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5299 on: October 11, 2006, 09:48:28 am »
If he only knew how hot he looks with long hair!

You don't think he does? LOL

Maybe we can get him to lurk on this thread for a day or two. That would be an enlightening experience!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!