Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165387 times)

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5350 on: October 11, 2006, 07:47:32 pm »
  Not sure about Rage...  Ennis hasn't been threatened and no one has impuned his character... and no one has pestered his daughters... 

I would expect that Ennis would go 'parental'... and Lance's ass would become intimately familiar with one of Ennis's boots a number of times... 

You may call it parental---I would come closer to ballistic----most any FATHER I know--could handle his own character being impuned much easier than he could handle his Daughter being exposed to naked men in bed---you may not think of it as pestering, and maybe you are right---BUT I'll bet in Ennis' mind it comes real close to sexual misconduct and child abuse-- someone with a trigger temper like his would be contained about anyone upsetting his daughter??---I mean look at Curt, he was flinching away when Ennis made a fist at him--and he never actually hurt JR.   I see total overreactionary rage.   Ennis sort of lives in a La la land about what his daughters actually know anyway.  They are still first and formost his little girls.
Maybe I am wrong, but Ennis strikes me as a total protectionary parent, always has.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 07:51:38 pm by ranchgal »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5351 on: October 11, 2006, 08:04:42 pm »
Whoa! .. lol .. As Sergio might say:

"Cálmate, RanchGal ..cálmate!"  ;D

Speaking of Sergio ..

What about this guy to play Sergio, Lucise? This is Alejo Sauras, a spanish actor.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5352 on: October 11, 2006, 08:09:48 pm »
Or better yet GAEL GARCIA BERNAL!!! (to play Sergio) He's so hot. ;D

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 08:13:50 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5353 on: October 11, 2006, 09:42:51 pm »

It seems to me that his role in the bar is 'parental' to a great extent and that that is why the younger men respect him and give place to him...  Yes, he can back up anything he says... but mostly they respect him as an older man exercising a measure of care and protection. 

I’ve got different, actually mixed feeling about this. Yes, his role is in some measure “parental” in the bar and in the same moment he is good looking Man in gay bar ( not that old), he is bar- owner man, and with his charisma and principles literally one inaccessible object of desire or just quite admiration as a man – great guy, which brings him also considerable amount of respect.
I don’t think they consider him mostly an older caring daddy.

And there is a fear factor too ;)

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5354 on: October 11, 2006, 10:35:21 pm »
Yes there is all that---and Ennis is also guilty emotionally when it comes to his daughters, because he really wasn't there for alot of their time--supported yes, but until they were older, he really didn't do alot with them, take that factor--and then figure how fast he flew to Riverton when he felt Jr needed his help, and now think about his youngests newest education---that is where I get my feelings on Ennis' reaction to ANYTHING or ANYONE supposedly threatening his children.
Ennis has never worried about things happening to himself-and I don't think it is relevant when discussing the girls.--but something happened to Jack, and took Jack away, now he worries about Ellery a lot more than himself----AND His daughters are maybe even more of a concern to him because they are so young yet even if only  in his mind.

He has come a long way, but in my opinion, he would never treat this as an improper mistake---he would look at it more like Lance was weanie wagging, and Francine was the victim--that is why I believe he would be VERY parentally protective.   So I may be  wrong, and it certainly may never even actually enter into this at all- we are just speculating anyway--but I have seen parents go ballistic defending their children before, not pretty, but that mentality certainly still exists.  And Ennis is old world deep down.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:41:03 pm by ranchgal »

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5355 on: October 11, 2006, 11:02:19 pm »
  This is quite interesting.  The term 'daddy' wouldn't, I think, apply here...  To the girls yes, of course, but not to those in the bar. 

I find it interesting that the same reasons you put forth as to why they wouldn't see him as a parent or father figure... are the reasons I would suggest that they would... 

Hmmm...  What to do with this one?

This is quite interesting.  The term 'daddy' wouldn't, I think, apply here...  To the girls yes, of course, but not to those in the bar. 

I find it interesting that the same reasons you put forth as to why they wouldn't see him as a parent or father figure... are the reasons I would suggest that they would... 

Hmmm...  What to do with this one?

Honestly, I don't know.
I just recently went through all the story so I've got freshly in memory his interactions with boys and men in the bar and  I only assume those  two POV ( your and mine) about Ennis dominate and coexist within bar company.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #5356 on: October 11, 2006, 11:11:59 pm »
Or better yet GAEL GARCIA BERNAL!!! (to play Sergio) He's so hot. ;D

mmmmmmm YUM! If this is what Sergio looks like, then can you really blame Lance???  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5357 on: October 11, 2006, 11:52:25 pm »
What about this guy to play Sergio, Lucise? This is Alejo Sauras, a spanish actor.

I like this guy as well!  We'd have to give him longer hair but that hasn't stopped me before .. lol  ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5358 on: October 11, 2006, 11:55:10 pm »
I also agree that Gael Garcia is yummy .. !
Damn!  ;D  He can be Sergio any day! ..lol

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5359 on: October 11, 2006, 11:59:29 pm »
"Cálmate, RanchGal ..cálmate!"  ;D

Guess I haven't mellowed too much in my old age yet. :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;)

Phew ..It is good to see you laughing Patty .. for a second there I thought you were gonna strangle Lance if given half a chance!   ;D