Author Topic: On Diamonds  (Read 11608 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
On Diamonds
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:31:19 am »
We're seeing AVATAR this week, and although I think I know what it's about, I've not done any additional reading.

I agree that BLOOD DIAMOND was somewhat forumulaic, but nonetheless, I found it very powerful.  I can't imagine myself ever owning another diamond and I keep entertaining thoughts of getting rid of the ones I have and making donations to an appropriate charity.   :-\

I can't imagine ever wanting another diamond and being thrilled about it the way I was my first one, when I was innocent of how that market operates and exploits.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:29:41 pm by Front-Ranger »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: On Diamonds
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 02:05:43 am »
We're seeing AVATAR this week, and although I think I know what it's about, I've not done any additional reading.

I agree that BLOOD DIAMOND was somewhat forumulaic, but nonetheless, I found it very powerful.  I can't imagine myself ever owning another diamond and I keep entertaining thoughts of getting rid of the ones I have and making donations to an appropriate charity.   :-\

I can't imagine ever wanting another diamond and being thrilled about it the way I was my first one, when I was innocent of how that market operates and exploits.

The Blood Diamond issue is tragic, but considering very few people are consumers - who buys diamonds? - that it seems a drop in the bucket compared to the same sort of human rights abuses over something much more impacting - like oil.  Which no one is willing to stop using.

But this is a topic for another thread.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 04:52:57 am »
Almost everybody who gets married owns a diamond or several. Most same sex couples I know have plain gold bands, but a diamond in the ear is fashionable.

I've had an avatar for four years now, named Front-Ranger!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:33 am »
Almost everybody who gets married owns a diamond or several. Most same sex couples I know have plain gold bands, but a diamond in the ear is fashionable.

Only adults, only those who can afford them and only those whose marriage traditions include getting rings as nuptial symbols.  That's mostly the affluent West, isn't it?  How about the 5 billion other people on the planet?

[shrug]

As I said, it doesn't impact as many people as does the oil business.  I used to work for a scholarship service for Angolan students sponsored here in the U.S.   Well, not Angolan students per se, only the children of the wealthy oil executives of Angola who worked for Sonangol Oil.  Angola still was divided, had rebels and was trying to recover from their massive civil war.  What resources supported each side?  Diamonds and oil.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:50:17 pm by delalluvia »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:51:07 pm »
Only adults, only those who can afford them and only those whose marriage traditions include getting rings as nuptial symbols.  That's mostly the affluent West, iisn't it?  How about the 5 billion other people on the planet?

It may not constitute a majority of Earth's inhabitants, but it's millions of people. Plus, I have two small diamond ear studs unrelated to my marital status.

However, the movie suggested that it is possible to buy diamonds that aren't "blood diamonds." It probably takes some careful consumerism, just as when you buy a foreign-made rug you want to make sure it wasn't made by children.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:07:28 pm »
It may not constitute a majority of Earth's inhabitants, but it's millions of people. Plus, I have two small diamond ear studs unrelated to my marital status.

However, the movie suggested that it is possible to buy diamonds that aren't "blood diamonds." It probably takes some careful consumerism, just as when you buy a foreign-made rug you want to make sure it wasn't made by children.

I don't want to get too far OT from this thread, but IMO, it's a minor issue.  Any guarantee that one might get probably isn't worth the paper it's written on.  How could you possibly verify it?  And IMO, it's more meaningful to give up something that really hurts one - not a luxury item - to show one's disgust and protest human rights abuses.

Like I said, Angola used the sale of their oil to fund atrocities as well.  Human rights abuses happen in Saudi Arabia, too.

It's easy to give up diamonds.  See anyone lining up to give up their oil yet?  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:51:11 pm by delalluvia »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:17:11 pm »
It's easy to give up diamonds.  See anyone lining up to give up their oil yet? 

Well, yeah, actually, from all appearances lots and lots of people are doing what they can to reduce their use of oil, from buying high-mileage cars to turning down their thermostats to eating local produce. Are many Westerners giving up all use of oil entirely? No. That's close to impossible for most people in industrialized countries. But obviously the issue of reduction is very much on the table.

As for giving up diamonds vs. oil, I don't see that it has to be either/or. Sure, many billions of people may never buy a diamond -- but SOMEBODY is buying them, and whoever that is holds some influence over the industry and its practices.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 02:03:54 pm »
Well, yeah, actually, from all appearances lots and lots of people are doing what they can to reduce their use of oil, from buying high-mileage cars to turning down their thermostats to eating local produce. Are many Westerners giving up all use of oil entirely? No. That's close to impossible for most people in industrialized countries. But obviously the issue of reduction is very much on the table.

As for giving up diamonds vs. oil, I don't see that it has to be either/or. Sure, many billions of people may never buy a diamond -- but SOMEBODY is buying them, and whoever that is holds some influence over the industry and its practices.

OK, but I don't see that.  In a recession, no one is giving up their old cars to buy expensive hybrids.  People are buying cheap foods, local produce is limited in winter and why spend the gas to drive to a farmer's market when the grocery store is 5 blocks away?  If you are lucky enough to have a thermostat and central air (the majority of houses in my mother's neigthborhood, including hers do not) , people are turning them down to save money, not to protest human rights abuses.

Someone does buy the diamonds, but not enough to make much of an impact, IMO, in the fight against human rights violations.  I think it's an empty gesture for most people.  The people who might make the biggest impact on blood diamonds are the buyers - not the retail buyers - the DeBeers people, the Cartier people.  Have them cut off buying such gemstones and a difference might be made.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 02:09:06 pm »
This is an interesting discussion, but not related to movies per se. Care if I split this off into Anything Goes??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 02:11:16 pm »
This is an interesting discussion, but not related to movies per se. Care if I split this off into Anything Goes??

Good idea, FRiend, thanks!