Author Topic: "A hundert times" in four years?  (Read 11685 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: "A hundert times" in four years?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 12:58:04 pm »
Testie?!  I wrang it out 100 times per day since seeing BBM!  Each and every time I checked for lumps!

SUCH a bad boy!  Spank!

Hundred times is just an expression, I'm sure.  Otherwise it's not a lot.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 03:05:35 pm »
Ray-

Don't make me tell another story...

O0

Heathen

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 01:54:26 am »
Testie?!  I wrang it out 100 times per day since seeing BBM!  Each and every time I checked for lumps!

Wow Ray, watch out for friction burns!  You really are a naughty boy – I love it.  And "Ray Nasty", that's a moniker worth holding on to!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 02:38:41 am »
Back to the topic for just a moment, here's a theory I threw out recently on another thread and got some support for. Let's see what you guys think.

Movie Ennis, of course, never says "I must have wrang it out a hundred times thinking of you" -- it would be way out of character. But did anyone else notice a scene in the movie that might possibly be alluding to that line?

I'm referring to the moment right after Ennis gets Jack's first postcard. He reads it (eyes lit up, lips moving -- so cute!) and hastily explains to Alma they used to be fishing buddies ... and then BOLTS OUT OF THE KITCHEN, sort of tucking in his shirt but actually just wiping his hand on it, and heads toward the back of the house.

OK, so it's subtle. But, um, there's no doubt he's thinking of Jack right then ...

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 05:04:28 am »
Wow, Katherine, and I thought I had a dirty mind!

RouxB, don't start what you can't finish: now you have to tell us the "other story"  :P
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 07:51:44 am »
I'm referring to the moment right after Ennis gets Jack's first postcard. He reads it (eyes lit up, lips moving -- so cute!) and hastily explains to Alma they used to be fishing buddies ... and then BOLTS OUT OF THE KITCHEN, sort of tucking in his shirt but actually just wiping his hand on it, and heads toward the back of the house.

Hi Katherine.  I sometimes like to think of the parts of the book that are not in the film as still existing, just in between the scenes that we do see.  This also works the other way around when I read the book, so that the two are intertwined in my mind.  So I don't have a problem with Ennis running off after receiving the first postcard to "take care of business" – and now that you mentioned it, I'll never look at this scene in the same way – so thanks for that!  Also, this is just about my favourite Ennis moment (so cute and endearing), and continues right up to when he sends up a prayer of thanks.  It's the only time we really see Ennis as hopeful.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 11:21:07 am »
I agree, the half hour or so from the postcard to the prayer of thanks is probably my favorite half hour of the movie.

As for my theory, to clarify, it's not just about what Ennis is up to (in the sense that the characters have minds and lives of their own beyond what we see onscreen) but I also what I believe the filmmakers intended to suggest. You think?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 01:38:01 pm »
As for my theory, to clarify, it's not just about what Ennis is up to (in the sense that the characters have minds and lives of their own beyond what we see onscreen) but I also what I believe the filmmakers intended to suggest. You think?

Actually, I'm afraid I think he's just running out of the room to avoid having to answer any more questions that Alma might ask while the subject is foremost in her mind.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:30:45 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006, 02:27:11 pm »
Obviously Alma wasn't giving him the level of sexual pleasure that Ennis enjoyed while masturbating thinking of those time he and JACK made love.  Well they certainly made love in tent scene #2. Who wouldn't want to be Ennis in that second tent scene. How can Alma compete with that.. :)

I suppose the sexual encounters shown between Ennis and Alma don't strike me as particularly tender, more "mechanical," going thru the motions. Suppose Ennis had someone else on his mind :D  The wonder he j/o with such frequency.

Hey, Kevin Spacey was straight in AMerican Beauty and he used to J/o (that's how he started his mornings), so evidently he got more pleasure from that, then from sex with his wife. ANd Annette Benning was a bit prettier then Michelle Williams character.  I sometimes notice these things.  Just one of those things...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2006, 09:15:39 pm »

Actually, I'm afraid I think he's just running out of the room to avoid having to answer any more questions that Alma might ask while the subject is foremost in her mind.

Oh well, Jeff. Once again, we differ. Your interpretation, I'll admit, is more logical and more soundly based on solid evidence. But mine is more fun AND at least somewhat plausible, and for me both those traits earn high scores when I'm deciding on my interpretation of an ambiguous scene.