Author Topic: An American Girl in Paris  (Read 38451 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: An American Girl in Paris
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2007, 12:44:51 am »
On the "Bitch, Bitch, Bitch" thread Natalie asked me about the problems I have with my lactose-intolerance.  I'm also suspected of having a gluten-intolerance (protein found in grain products).

Now, send me to the land of cheese and bread and you find a tourista rapidly in need of a bathroom on the streets of a foreign city.

I tried to watch everything I ate to avoid this problem, but I was not very successful.

London had public restrooms in every Underground station we were in.  It was easy to find a bathroom when needed.

Paris does not have this convenience.

The Parisiennes have a strange attitude toward the needs of the tourists to find a bathroom.  You go in anywhere and ask if they have a toilet and they will say, "Non."  When you know dang well that they very likely do, if only for their own employees!

The guy at the Internet cafe we went to was amused at my request,

"You ave no idea how many tourists come in here looking for ze bathroom.  Is it zumtheeng we put in di food?"

Hardee har har.

Considering the cafe was down the street from Notre Dame - which has public restrooms with restrictive hours - open 10am-noon, closed noon to 1 pm, then open again 1-4pm - when there are 500 tourists at the place at any hour of the day, I found his attitude to be just this side of bizarre.

Luckily, the only time I was in agony, about to have a terrible accident, we found these:

These were like the best things since sliced baguettes.  Not only are they relatively clean being self-cleaning, they are free and all the ones I used actually had toilet paper!!!  They look like porto-potties, but they are much better, attached to the sewer system so you don't have that lovely smell of plastic and everyone-who-has-come- before-you's personal effluvia asphyxiating you while you are trying to do your business.  It was also a great place to chit-chat with your fellow tourists while standing in line to use one.

Because when you go to places like this:

or this

The number of available bathrooms - especially for women - is a joke.

These European tourist destinations are not for the less than mobile or people with weak bladders.  At Versailles, there were two bathrooms for the great unwashed at the Chateau.  Four - FOUR - stalls for women to a side.  I can't imagine how long the lines were during the summer season.  We were there during the off-season and the crowds were still unbearable.

As an aside - I noticed this at many touristy places - France doesn't seem to have Fire Marshall regulations.  Doesn't matter if there is standing room only, if you have to fight elbow to elbow to see an exhibit or get trampled by herds of tour groups, if you have a ticket, you get in.

We wandered further down the Gardens at Versailles, about half-way down, we took a left turn and found a maze, a cafe and a bathroom.  I suggested we use the bathroom first as we might get lost in the maze and really get in trouble.  The wait for women was 20 minutes.  There were only TWO stalls for women there.

The gardens were magnificent.  I'd seen the movie "Marie Antoinette" before we left and I was more amazed, awed and thrilled by the gardens than the Chateau which itself was exquisite.  It took us 45 minutes to walk to the far corner of the gardens to see an exhibit.  We got there and noticed there are no facilities whatsoever.

My sister was flabbergasted.

Her:  I can't believe there isn't anything here!  What if people had small children with them?  You know little kids have to go the bathroom every 10 minutes.

Me:  Do you see anyone here with small kids?

Believe it or not, there were no families with small children.  Only adults or teenagers.  There were no young families with children, or babies in carriages, no old people in wheelchairs or walkers or little scooters.  You are able to walk and keep yourself to yourself or you obviously don't go to Versailles.

Note:  Weather was blustery and sprinkling when we mounted the Eiffel Tower.  It held off long enough for us to explore and take pictures to our heart's content, then as we wafted back to earth it started to pour rain!!  We did not have our umbrellas.  Blasted with strong winds and cold rainwater, my sister spotted a quartet of plexiglass phonebooths and we outraced some homeless guys to dodge inside one.  There we stayed, hoping this was just a cloudburst, surrounded by others who'd had the same idea.  We all huddled around, including the soldiers with automatic rifles who walk a beat around the Tower!

Sorry, I didn't get a picture.

The weather was also blustery at Versailles.  It was raining as we left Paris to travel to Versailles, but held off the entire time we were there.  I was so happy.  The gardens were definitely one of the highlights of my trip.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:04:47 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2007, 01:00:41 am »
Del, you rock, girl!

Loving your stories. So down to earth but funny and interesting! you have a real knack!

XX

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2007, 01:20:14 am »
Loved the newest installment of your story. You had me laugh heartily. About the bathrooms, I mean  :laugh:.

Thanks for the pics. I never would have pictured you with dark long hair. I don't know how I've pictured you, but I guess with short hair.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2007, 08:40:10 am »
Thanks for the pics. I never would have pictured you with dark long hair. I don't know how I've pictured you, but I guess with short hair.

That's funny! I was just thinking that's exactly how I would have pictured Del. Well, a little different face, maybe (I imagine her as having a nose), but otherwise just like that.

injest

« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2007, 10:32:47 pm »
she looked real happy though!!

;D ;D

come on Del!! We are waiting for our bedtime story!!

Offline delalluvia

Alas children
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2007, 10:49:16 pm »
I shall have to send you to bed bereft.

I'm exhausted, haven't eaten dinner yet and need to get up early tomorrow.

Fear not, I have some topics you can look forward to -

"Moods and Foods"

"Terrorists and Taxis"

injest

Re: Alas children
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2007, 10:52:05 pm »
I shall have to send you to bed bereft.

I'm exhausted, haven't eaten dinner yet and need to get up early tomorrow.

Fear not, I have some topics you can look forward to -

"Moods and Foods"

"Terrorists and Taxis"

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

(for tonight)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(for the future topics!!! They sound very good!)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2007, 05:23:42 am »
Good point. But I think there's another reason: portion size.

I've had my first taste of nothern american food when we were in Canada this summer and the portions of food we were served in the restaurants were a lot bigger than what I'm used to. There was always food left in my plate after I was finished.

I kept telling my kids not to overeat!

One thing I really liked though, and it's something we should do over here too, we always got a glass of ice water, as soon as we were seated. That is a very healthy habit.

In Spain portion sizes are quite large. And it is always two plates! Some people are overweight but generally the population is thiner than in America. In fact, I have a friend from Chicago who's amazed at how people here eats fried food all the time and aren't overweight. I suppose in Spain's case it is the exercise. Most buildings have no elevators so you're forced to go up the stairs. I have a friend who lives in the 7th floor and no elevator! Also, supermarkets are at a walking distance so a lot of people (including me) go and come back on foot carrying all the groceries.  I have strong arms because of it!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2007, 12:37:55 am »
patio 
1828, “inner court open to the sky,” from Sp. patio probably from O.Prov. patu, pati “untilled land, communal pasture,” from L. pactum “agreement”. Another theory traces the Sp. word to L. patere “to lie open.” Meaning “paved and enclosed terrace beside a building” first recorded 1941.

Maybe it’s because Texas has over 250 days of sun per year, maybe it’s the Spanish and thus European influence of patios, maybe I’m just a creature of my generation, but the street-side café culture was one of the biggest shrugs of my Paris trip.  They existed in profusion, you couldn’t turn a corner without tripping over one, they were just as charming as you imagined they might be.

In Texas we call it patio-dining.  The only major difference is the enclosure, otherwise I’d been dining in ‘street-side cafés’ all my life.  We just call them different things.  And I think in some ways, patios are superior.  You’re not actually right next to the street.  On some days, the Paris traffic was so gridlocked on the streets, the car exhaust fumes sucked out all the oxygen.  I can’t imagine trying to eat through that.  My sister worried that the local cars were in poor condition, since we never saw the local version of a Jiffy Lube or Brake Center.  “How good are their brakes?  What keeps them from jumping the curb and running everyone down?”

I figured that since the traffic was so incredibly stop and go, there was no real distance to gather up speed, so the cars’ brakes were not overly stressed.

Maybe.

Being close to the street certainly has its downside.

A few years back, an ex-coworker very reluctantly accompanied her husband when his job transferred him to Paris.  Trying to get into a good mood about the move, they ate at a street-side café.  Unfortunately, just as they began to eat, a small pigeon alighted in the road and promptly got run over by a car.  The dying bird twitched in the street next to their table all through their meal.

It was an omen, she was sure.

Now we couldn’t actually dine outside during our rainy Paris sojourn, mind you (jaundiced glance at sister). But that first night in Paris, we managed it for dinner. 

We found a charming café near the Pantheon whose main waiter was so effusive in his greeting and welcome that he made you wonder about the score on their last health inspection.  He so rapidly switched between English, French and Spanish that we had a hard time keeping up with him.

Now people have been saying that the French and Italians are slim due to all the exercise they get walking up and down streets and stairs.  I most heartily agree.

Our hotel had an elevator.  This was a requirement for my sister.  In searching for our hotel, “chaming” and “quaint” and “19th century” were buzzwords I looked for that warned me that a hotel might not have an elevator.  But our hotel did have one.  I guess you could call it that.  I called it a glorified dumb waiter.  It could just fit me and my suitcase if I shoved the suitcase in, got in in front of it and lay on top of my upright suitcase so the door could close.  You were so uncomfortable, you didn’t have time to be claustrophobic.

Luckily for me, I only rode the elevator twice, when I arrived with my suitcase and when I left with my suitcase.  We were only on the 2nd floor (1st floor European), but the very narrow, low-grade rising winding staircase could only fit one person abreast and certainly wasn’t wide enough for a suitcase.  I considered it a challenge to climb every single day I came home from a long day of walking (my sister had no such compunctions.  She rode it every single day back up to our room).

So I definitely see French people staying in great shape by doing this daily.  However, I must disagree about someone’s post that the food portions are small in France/Europe.

OK, we’re at this charming street-side café our first night in Paris.  The night is fine, the moonlight fierce

Pantheon on the walk back to our hotel

and we’re dining al fresco
- on metal chairs
- on slanting pavement, so I had to balance on the edge of the chair all evening.

I wanted to order something light.  I leaned over to my sister’s French friend and whispered, “How do you say soup in French?”

“Soup.” He grinned.

*sigh*

Anyway, I ordered a crepe first, then after it arrived – the first one I ever had – I decided not to order anything more.  The thing was the size of a large dinner plate.  I couldn’t believe this massive slab of food was a typical or single serving!!

This was not an isolated example.

Hot dogs were not in the hand-sized buns like in the U.S., they were extra long – what we called “foot longs” - in long baguettes, covered in cheese and toasted.  The snails I ordered in a restaurant could have fed 3 people.  Sandwiches were in the form of what are called hoagies/sub sandwiches here in the States.  Fried potatoes were heaped in a pile next to a monsieur .

The smallest or most ‘normal’ servings I saw was when I ate a Royale with Cheese at the McDonald’s on the Champs Elysees. (don’t look at me like that.  It was the only place we could afford on that street).

The deluxe potatoes came with a ‘special sauce’ that looks like mayonnaise a la Pulp Fiction.

Still, I’m impressed that the French stay so slim with such portion sizes, the crowded McDonald’s restaurants, pastry and chocolate shops AND their biggest food passion.

You read about tulip-mania the 17th century Netherlands.  People going mad for tulips.  In the late 20th century it was exotic coffee at Starbucks in the U.S..  Now London was mad for Starbucks.  There was one on every street corner, sometimes across the same street from each other!! 

In Paris it was gelato.

Gelato – Italy’s version of ice-cream.

Paris was mad for gelato.  There were gelato stands on every street, even the little bodegas and delis had a gelato cart.  Every day, I saw people walking around eating cones or cups of gelato.

Normally I’m a chauvinist when I travel.  I want to experience the country and its traditions and culture, so I’m basically,

“I didn’t fly 3000 miles to eat Tex Mex food in Paris.”

“No, I don’t want to stop on the bridge and listen to a jazz band.  We’re Americans, we invented jazz.  If I want to listen to jazz, it’s better at home.”

And

“No, I don’t want Italian ice cream.  I’ll eat that when I go to Italy.”

I tend to want to eat and experience things like the locals but not if it includes eating food I could easily find at home or a different country, ya know?

I did listen to and give a tip to an old guy on the Pont de Artes bridge who, early one morning, was playing an accordion.  The music wafting over the Seine was every clichéd soundtrack about France and Paris you’d ever heard.  I loved it.

injest

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2007, 12:54:58 am »
If I had worn white pants....I would have sit in something nasty before I had left the hotel! (you brave woman!)

You look good too! so happy.... ;)