Author Topic: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind  (Read 90171 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I can't resist.  I feel that BetterMost needs and deserves its very own version of a "Jack and the Wind" thread (especially since this topic has been sneaking into other threads a lot lately).  I would love to respark more discussion about this.  Those of you who know me, know how much I love this topic.

One of the most beautiful (and to me one of the most romantic) metaphors that has come out of discussions of symbolic aspects of BBM is the idea that Jack comes to be represented by the wind or, that his nature symbol is the wind/ air.  This parallels Ennis's nature symbol which many see as earth (or sometimes fire)- topics for another thread perhaps.  Thinking about these symbols seems particularly important in relation to the film's official tag line, "love is a force of nature."

The clearest moment in the film that nearly spells out the idea that Jack= Wind is in Aguirre's trailer when Jack returns to see if Aguirre has a third summer of work for him (and is really there to see if Ennis has been around).  As Jack steps into the trailer, the vent above Aguirre's desk starts to spin (it had been still up to the moment Jack enters) and Aguirre says "well, look what the wind blew in".   Electic fans and vents also seem to be evocative of Jack and the wind, especially in Ennis's trailer at the end.

There are all sorts of moments throughout the film where Jack seems to be evoked by the visual or audio presence of the wind.  The wind often seems to be brought in as an element in the film to signify that Ennis is thinking about Jack.

Here are two of the most important aspects of the wind to me. 

The first moment is directly following the first tent scene.  As Ennis mounts his horse and rides away, we see Jack watch him disappear into the distance.  Just at this moment the wind kicks up rather dramatically.  It's as if the wind is coming from Jack or Jack's gaze and follows Ennis up the mountain.  The wind blows strongly against Ennis and his horse as if Jack is tormenting him or overwhelming him.  We know that Ennis is consumed by thinking about Jack and what the two of them have done.  It's at this moment that Jack takes on slightly, oh so subtle, magical quality.  And this makes sense, Jack is the *beloved* to the protagonist Ennis in this story. So Jack through Ennis's eyes would be seen as this particularly special figure who has a lot of power over him.  Jack from this point on haunts Ennis's thoughts (especially in his daily life in Riverton, through the wind and through the constant presence of men with black hats).

The second most moving aspect of the wind idea, for me,  comes following Jack's death.  The symbol of the wind allows Jack to persist as an extremely subtle ghostly presence after he dies.  The wind rustling in the grass at the very end seems to me to be Jack acknowledging Ennis's "I swear..."  To me the best example of the air symbol is in the Lightning Flat scene when Ennis is in Jack's bedroom.  It's only after Ennis opens the window to allow the air into the stagnant room that he notices the closet.  There is no real noticeable wind here (the curtains don't flutter for example).  But, the air seems to signify that Jack has been given entry into the scene.  When Ennis is in the closet and discovers the two shirts, it's slightly spooky to notice that the sleeves of the coats in the closet continue to sway after Ennis had fondled them (as if Ennis is being proded by the motion of Jack's old clothes to find those coupled shirts).

It's interesting that the wind idea seems much more subtle in the film than in the book.  Proulx hits the reader over the head with it.  From the first paragraph:

"Ennis Del Mar wakes before five, wind rocking the trailer, hissing in around the aluminum door and window frames.  The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.... He... pulls on his shirt and jeans, his worn boots, stamping the heels against the floor to get them full on.  The wind booms down the curved length of the trailer and under it's roaring passage he can hear the scratching of fine gravel and sand.  It could be bad on the highway with the horse trailer. He has to be packed and away from the place that morning.  Again the ranch is on the market... He might have to stay with his married daughter until he picks up another job, yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream... [He] lets a panel of the dream slide forward.  If he does not focus his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.  The wind strkies the trailer like a load of dirt coming off a dump truck, eases, dies, leaves a temporary silence."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:06:46 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

Re: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 12:59:29 am »
My two favorite Jack-as-wind moments are:

When Ennis and Alma are sitting on the bed, and he's longing for Jack, and just after Alma says "not all lonely like you was raised" we hear the whooooooo of wind outside.

When Ennis is wretching in the alley, the little tree visible between the buildings is practically being blown over by wind. In fact, I suddenly realize, the posture of the tree echoes Ennis'.

Was there wind blowing in the tar-spreading scene? Because that's one of my favorite "Ennis thinking about Jack during their four-year separation" moments.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 09:33:06 am »
I can't wrap my brain around this whole topic just yet, so I just wanted to comment on the "control the weather" part. Aguirre (society) not only held Jack responsible for the weather but also intimated that he could cure pneumonia too. This presents parallels to the life of Jesus, who was predicted to be a messiah who would come and literally save the Jews from their persecutors. In actuality, Jesus had a more abstract mission to save humans through love. I don't want to dwell too much on the Christianity aspects but sometimes they are too strong to ignore.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 10:21:55 am »
I can't wrap my brain around this whole topic just yet, so I just wanted to comment on the "control the weather" part. Aguirre (society) not only held Jack responsible for the weather but also intimated that he could cure pneumonia too. This presents parallels to the life of Jesus, who was predicted to be a messiah who would come and literally save the Jews from their persecutors. In actuality, Jesus had a more abstract mission to save humans through love. I don't want to dwell too much on the Christianity aspects but sometimes they are too strong to ignore.

Very nice observations Front-Ranger.  I quite like the pneumonia idea.  Yes, he seems to expect the impossible out of Jack.

Sure, the religious imagery is all over the place.  The film begins with the image of three crosses silhouetted against the sky (the electric wire poles) and sure, the water-walking Jesus connection with Jack is very strong.  I think Casey and others back on the old board used to discuss the connection between the hymn and the image that we see of Jack near the beginning when they're first ascending Brokeback.  We see Jack walking through the water of a shallow creek carrying a lamb and he's gesturing to Ennis to follow him.  Also, during the "prayer of thanks" discussion Jack is clearly framed by the image of the rushing water.  And, in a way, Jack "saves" Ennis emotionally, etc.... especially in the end with those shirts. 

I'm not even slightly religious myself, but I find all of this extremely interesting and poignant.

cheers!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 10:39:01 am »
I love the Jack as wind and Jack as Christ references, too.  As I said on another thread, the wind symbolism became so powerful to me during the period immediately following my seeing of this movie twice in succession in February (I took a month off from seeing it, then - the second time had rocked me to the core and I couldn't bear going through that grief again at that time), that I believed Jack and therefore his ghost was real and that he was manifesting himself in the howling wind around me at that time.  (Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you... still do...).  On a somewhat side note, the wind here in South Florida has been relentless for three months.  Everyone I talk to says just about every day, "Geez.  Can you believe this wind?"  Always makes me smile and think "He lives" to myself.  But seriously, it is unprecedented and I think gives us all a feeling of impending doom considering last year's hurricane season and the prediction that this one would be as bad or worse.

Back to the subject at hand - I of course also love the scene with Ennis whittling the lamb, and the wind and rain raging outside as he does it.  To me, this mixes all the symbolism together - Jack is the lamb, but he is also the wind and the rain - it represents the storm of passion swirling in Ennis' heart as his love for Jack grows but he isn't in touch with the fact that that's what he's feeling.

And Amanda - I love all the references you've mentioned - I never thought about that wind kicking up behind Ennis and Cigar Butt on the mountain that morning as being Jack following him, nor as the wind in the grass at the end being Jack acknowledging Ennis' "I swear."  I had thought about the others you and others here have mentioned.

God, I love this movie.  Here I thought I wasn't gonna watch it again for a while, but I just might have to tonight and look specifically for all those references.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 10:40:32 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:00:00 am »
Thanks for your comments ednbarby,

I know what you mean about reacting to the wind, etc. in real life sort of differently after thinking about his movie so much.  Things like pick-up trucks have entirely new meanings to me these days... things I've very rarely thought about much in the past.

Anyway, that strong wind following the first tent scene seems particularly important.  In this case the wind seems to actually be emanating from Jack.  I mean, I know it's not.  But, it feels like it comes right from him as he watches Ennis leave.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 11:49:13 am »
Lots of good observations.

Ednbarby, I think of Ennis as carving a horse in that scene, but either way your interpretation of it is interesting! I had always wondered a bit about its significance and I think you have it exactly right.

I missed the imdb religious thread, or maybe I skipped it out of skepticism, but now I'm sorry I did. Those images sound very meaningful and undeniably deliberate.

Slightly OT, but speaking of the scene of Aguirre telling Jack about his uncle. I've always found that scene a bit mysterious -- why bother putting in all the stuff about the uncle? why not just have Aguirre stopping by for a routine check? -- but just over the past 12 hours I have learned two things about it. One, and I can't remember where I saw this last night (for all I know it was back a ways on this thread!), was that Jack felt threatened when he saw Aguirre looking at Ennis through the binocs -- not so much because he felt protective of Ennis just then, which is the way I'd always looked at it, but because he realizes that Aguirre could have been watching them through the binocs at any time. Well, duh! Now it seems obvious. But somehow that had never occurred to me.

And the other sprang from reading the post above about its being Jesus allusion. Aguirre's line, "not much you can do about it down there, either, not unless you can cure pneumonia" can also be interpreted as a foreshadowing reference to Jack's inability to do anything "down there" in society (or down there on earth if you take the Jesus perspective), about Ennis and the way his life winds up going -- not unless he can cure, well, homophobia.

Another reminder that if a scene doesn't quite make sense, or if there's something going on that seems a bit unnecessary, there's probably a good reason.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 12:51:25 pm »
Slightly OT, but speaking of the scene of Aguirre telling Jack about his uncle. I've always found that scene a bit mysterious -- why bother putting in all the stuff about the uncle? why not just have Aguirre stopping by for a routine check? -- but just over the past 12 hours I have learned two things about it. One, and I can't remember where I saw this last night (for all I know it was back a ways on this thread!), was that Jack felt threatened when he saw Aguirre looking at Ennis through the binocs -- not so much because he felt protective of Ennis just then, which is the way I'd always looked at it, but because he realizes that Aguirre could have been watching them through the binocs at any time. Well, duh! Now it seems obvious. But somehow that had never occurred to me.

And the other sprang from reading the post above about its being Jesus allusion. Aguirre's line, "not much you can do about it down there, either, not unless you can cure pneumonia" can also be interpreted as a foreshadowing reference to Jack's inability to do anything "down there" in society (or down there on earth if you take the Jesus perspective), about Ennis and the way his life winds up going -- not unless he can cure, well, homophobia.

Heya,
I'm glad you brought up the topic of the scene where Aguirre comes to tell Jack about his uncle.  It is confusing when you first think about it.  I think your explanation of Jack's realization that the binoculars are a threat is a good one.  It reminds me of the placement of those binoculars in Aguirre's trailer at the very beginning and then in the "look what the wind blew in" scene.  In the beginning the binoculars are in their case hanging behind Aguirre as he's explaining the tender/herder jobs (in fact we don't know they're binoculars until later).  Then, in the scene where Jack comes back for a job alone the next summer we see those binoculars hanging outside their case... still positioned behind Aguirre's head.

It seems important that it's only Jack who knows about the binoculars and is the only one to have to deal with the "stemming the rose" comment.  If Ennis knew about either of those two things... it's hard to imagine how he'd react.  Jack can handle all of this for some reason, while Ennis's insecurities would run wild with the knowledge of either of these things.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 12:57:09 pm »
True -- if Jack had told Ennis about the stemming-the-rose remark on the night of the reunion, Ennis would have had to run out and try to beat someone up, and perhaps get beat up himself. And that would have put a damper on the evening.

Seriously, though, it's touching the way Jack protects Ennis from stuff like that. And I think the difference is a real key to Jack's character. Unlike Ennis, he is able to let people's disapproval roll off of him -- he might be bothered by it, but not demoralized -- which makes him better equipped to challenge society's prejudices.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 01:06:27 pm »
True -- if Jack had told Ennis about the stemming-the-rose remark on the night of the reunion, Ennis would have had to run out and try to beat someone up, and perhaps get beat up himself. And that would have put a damper on the evening.

LOL  :laugh: :laugh: