Author Topic: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind  (Read 89488 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: "I was supposed to control the weather"... Jack and the Wind
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2006, 02:27:31 pm »
Last time I saw the movie on the big screen, it seemed to me that Jack had the car window open, rolled all the way down when he's driving north to the post-divorce scene. Hence the clear view out the window; - he does at any rate have that window all the way down as his car comes into view at Ennis's place. Then, as he drives back, it seems he's rolled the window up - that would be a realistic sort of reason for the blurry view and the "seen through tears" visual impact.

But it's hard to tell for sure - especially with the way he supports his elbow against (or on) the window sill in both scenes.

Anyway, the use of open window/closed window in those scenes would fit perfectly and poignantly  with the wind symbolism that has been discussed in this thread and also with the later scene where Ennis opens jack's window to let the air in.

oh man! the details of opened/closed windows is yet another thing to look for and analyze. I think you are on to something with this.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2006, 07:45:24 pm »
oh man! the details of opened/closed windows is yet another thing to look for and analyze. I think you are on to something with this.

Sure, it seems like a really important topic.  Thanks for noticing the truck window detail Mikaela!  Yet another detail that I've somehow missed during my many viewings.  The window issue seems to reach it's greatest moment of importance in Jack's room during the Lightning Flat scene.  It's just so sweet that it's Ennis who opens that window to let the air in.  It's almost like he's letting Jack enter the room a bit (even though I've noticed there's no indication of actual wind... the curtains don't flutter).  It's also been pointed out that it's only after the window is open that Ennis looks to the closet.  Also, I love that we see that window still open when Ennis walks out of the house with the paper bag.  Amazing. 
 :'(

It would be interesting to think of other window moments.  I think Ennis's window at the very end (the last shot) with the wind in the grass is also probably really important.

About Jack driving in general... and the wind that would come in his open truck window... I like to think of Jack's willingness to travel all the time as part of his "wind" association.  He seems content to drive for hundreds of miles to get to Ennis.  I love that he doesn't complain to Lureen about the driving... he seems annoyed that she would even question why he'd want to be in motion, be the one who travels.  It's like Jack as the wind is blowing back and forth over the plains/ earth (i.e. Ennis's symbol) and is truly happy about it.  I also love that we see him whistling and so happy in his truck as he's driving up to surprise Ennis in the post-divorce scene.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2006, 08:30:49 pm »
A sequence of windows....and it was sitting there all this time....thank you, Mikaela!
How about this one -
  During Jack's Thanksgiving, all the windows are obscured by white curtains, except right behind him, where they're slightly parted to show sections of two large, closed windows, with no handles for opening them visible. What we see through them isn't a 'way out', it's just the patio and yard, enclosed by a tall solid fence.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2006, 10:54:12 pm »
My favorite window moment is the one Ennis gazes through after asking Alma Jr. if Kurt loves her.

And of course he does the same with the phone-booth window.

Oh! And the window of his apartment in the reunion scene.

moremojo

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2006, 08:54:52 pm »
Dunno if some variant of this thought has been expressed yet, in these parts or elsewhere, but just the other day the following metaphor entered my mind: The wind is free, "blowing where it listeth", yet wherever it roams, the earth is always below it, ever within sight. Wherever life took Jack, Ennis was always there, in his thoughts and his heart. These two beautiful souls could not, nor would want to ever sever the exquisite union that bound them together.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2006, 09:00:39 pm »
THat's beautiful, Scott, and so true. Lat, another window moment I love is when Ennis comes in the house while Alma is washing clothes in the sink and washes his hands, he takes a moment to look out the window. I think he is looking at the sky, and certainly know what he is thinking about!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2006, 10:13:46 pm »
Awww.... lovely ideas Lee and Scott!  Everything about this thread makes me happy and weepy all at the same time.
 :) :(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2006, 12:03:16 am »
Lat, another window moment I love is when Ennis comes in the house while Alma is washing clothes in the sink and washes his hands, he takes a moment to look out the window. I think he is looking at the sky, and certainly know what he is thinking about!!

Oooh, good one, F-R! Is that the scene with the runny-nosed girls, or the one where Alma says "Ennis, do you know someone named Jack?"

And speaking of that postcard scene -- this may not be the thread for it, but what the hell -- I'm always amazed at how well Ennis keeps his composure when Alma says that. Just calmly finishes washing his hands, finally says "Maybe ... why?" Is he afraid to reveal anything untoward? Afraid to get his hopes up? At the very least, I think it's interesting that when telling Alma about his summer on Brokeback he obviously not only didn't give details but never even mentioned the name of the guy he worked with. What are your thoughts?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2006, 12:08:55 am »
I was thinking about the runny nose scene, but he also looks out the window that other time, I think both he and Alma look out the window together. It's like a little ritual, wash hands, glance out window, dry hands on butt.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:14:55 am by latjoreme »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2006, 12:19:07 am »
I was thinking about the runny nose scene, but he also looks out the window that other time, I think both he and Alma look out the window together. It's like a little ritual, wash hands, glance out window, dry hands on butt.

... head off to the back of the house to wring it out.

PS I actually did not modify your post above, F-R -- sorry! I wanted to hit "quote" but accidentally hit "modify" instead. The dangers of having those amazing moderator powers when you're posting late at night ...