Author Topic: Jake Jake Jake!  (Read 3175115 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jake Jake Jake!
« Reply #4970 on: April 17, 2010, 03:57:37 pm »

Thanks for the kind thoughts! Sorry, it is taking me a long time to transcribe, as it is quite a long article and I cannot find the text on the web.

I am posting pretty much only the pieces relating to Heath; there are lots more about Jarhead  and (brother-in-law) Peter Sarsgaard, as well as other things. There will be at least two more posts from the interview after this one, maybe three; in the meanwhile, I do hope others get copies of GQ,  the photos are really special, some of them full page or full two-page spreads. Nice!

From Jake Is Huge  by Chris Heath, GQ  Magazine, May 2010, page 110:

Between courses at the Ravagh Persian Grill in Manhattan....(continues)

Did Heath never do anything that annoyed you?

"No, I already admired Heath. I always was kind of enamored by him, you know. I mean, yeah, sometimes it was hard to sit with him. He moved..... He was a mover.

People have since suggested that he was really, really troubled by having to do all that promotion and campaigning. Was that your sense?

"Yeah. He was very sensitive. He didn't always really have a sense of performance in his everyday life. He was who he was. I think actors very often, they know how to present something, and that's part of their job.
6 I think he was who he was. I think he was just really sensitive. We often used to do a lot of things together, because people were very interested in him and I think we felt safe together."

[6]
For example, he says that when he and Ledger had to introduce Ang Lee at the Directors Guild awards. Ledger refused point-blank to say anything jokey about Lee, as might have been expected at such an event. Their introduction was consequently so serious and earnest, says Gyllenhaal, that when Lee came up to the stage, he told them,
"That was so gay."
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4971 on: April 17, 2010, 04:23:18 pm »
THANK YOU JOHN!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4972 on: April 17, 2010, 04:25:10 pm »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4973 on: April 17, 2010, 04:26:41 pm »

From Jake Is Huge  by Chris Heath, GQ  Magazine, May 2010, page 110:

Between courses at the Ravagh Persian Grill in Manhattan....(continues)

Still, he also remembers how much they'd be laughing backstage at events: "For such a serious actor as Heath was, he was crazy funny. Dark funny, but funny." Out front, they came to be sobered by people's reactions, as they realized that the movie was bigger than all of them, bigger than they'd realized. Gyllenhaal tells me a strange thing about the filming, an experience he'd just rhapsodized about as so magical: "In retrospect, it just was a painful process." As though there's no reason why both memories should not be equally true.

"I don't think any of us can watch it to this day," he says. "I remember talking to Michelle very recently and her being like, "I didn't know if it was any good or not.'"

(More to come much later this evening....)

"Camping Out"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4974 on: April 17, 2010, 05:16:34 pm »
You're typing all thos, John? Wow, thank you so much! :-*

Wow also for Jake. Seems the question about Heath at the Oscar's really opened a gate which he had kept anxiously closed before.
It is wonderful to hear all those comments from him.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4975 on: April 17, 2010, 06:17:58 pm »

Wow also for Jake. Seems the question about Heath at the Oscar's really opened a gate which he had kept anxiously closed before.

What Chrissi said.

John; thank you, thank you, thank you! :-*

I'm already pondering whether there might possibly be anywhere they sell GQ here where I live...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4976 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:08 pm »
Well, maybe 'wonderful' isn't the best choice of words. It's in a strange way reassuring. Feels good.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4977 on: April 17, 2010, 06:31:01 pm »
I'm already pondering whether there might possibly be anywhere they sell GQ here where I live...

You and me both :D.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4978 on: April 17, 2010, 08:25:31 pm »

Yes I agree with all of this!  These comments by Jake seem so substantial and thoughtful.  It really is nice to read this.  I'm going to go out to see if I can find a copy of GQ tomorrow.  And, yes, thanks John!  :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4979 on: April 17, 2010, 11:17:58 pm »
This is great to finally hear Jake talking about Heath and Brokeback and his own process.  It's strange to have something new to read about BBM, even after four f*ckin years.  Strange but good.  Thanks, John, and Eric, too.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...