Author Topic: Heath's new movie: Candy  (Read 4082 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Heath's new movie: Candy
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:34:25 pm »
Heath's newest movie, Candy, just had its premiere in Australia. The little bit I've read, it's getting good reviews but they are saying it's small, art house. It is supposed to open in the US eventually but I suspect that it will not come to the towns that many of us inhabit. In the spirit of the news sleuth from the old Chez Tremblay, here is an interesting article:

Stars fail to come out for premiere
Dan Box
02may06

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,18996267,00.html

THE movie posters either side of the red carpet promised Heath Ledger, Abbie Cornish and Geoffrey Rush, but all three stars failed to appear last night at the national premiere of the Australian film Candy.

Only one of the film's leading actors, Noni Hazlehurst, attended the show at Sydney's Dendy Opera Quays cinema.
And apart from a few film heavy-hitters such as Oscar-winning director Jane Campion and actor Rachel Ward, the celebrity contingent was a touch light on.

Movie critic Margaret Pomeranz was pointed out as a celebrity guest.

Russell Crowe had also been flagged as likely to attend, but was a no-show.

"It's really disappointing for the film," said Hazlehurst, 52, who plays the title character's mother in the movie.

"Most American movies have promotion budgets bigger than our movie budget, so we need all the help we can get."

The film's director, Neil Armfield, said Ledger, 26, decided against risking another run-in with photographers, some of whom squirted him with water at the premiere of Brokeback Mountain and later chased him to his family home in the city's eastern suburb of Bronte.

"Heath would have been here. In fact, Heath would have lived here but for the paparazzi," Armfield, 51, said.

"He wanted to live in Australia but felt so humiliated by what happened with the opening of Brokeback Mountain he said it was clearly too early to move back. I think that is a statement."

Cornish, 23, was due to return for the premiere but has been held up in Europe filming Elizabeth: The Golden Age alongside Rush and Australian Oscar winner Cate Blanchett. The film is the sequel to Blanchett's 1998 hit Elizabeth.

Rush, who plays a drug manufacturer in Candy, has also stayed with the Elizabeth project, which is now in its last week of rehearsals before filming.

Candy is both the name of Cornish's character and slang for heroin, while the intimate film depicts her descent into madness because of addiction to the drug.

It is based on the semi-autobiographical novel by Luke Davies, 44, himself addicted to heroin for more than a decade.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
Re: Heath's new movie: Candy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 05:38:56 pm »
I found this on contact music if anyone is interested and seeing as we are talking Candy(eyecandy and the film of course) I thought this was relevant:

LEDGER SNUBS HOMELAND OVER WATER STUNT

HEATH LEDGER refused to attend the Australian premiere of his latest movie, after being squirted by water pistols carried by members of the paparazzi at his BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN premiere in January (06). The Australian star passed on attending the launch of new movie CANDY in Sydney, because of the "appalling" behaviour of the paparazzi. Candy producer MARGARET FINK has lashed out at the photographers saying, "I know Heath would want to be here, but he was put off by those jerks behaving so appallingly at the Brokeback Mountain premiere. "Why would he want to come out here when people behave like that towards him? He was quite rightly infuriated." Ledger made an appearance on behalf of the film when it debuted at the Berlin Film Festival earlier this year (06).
01/05/2006 09:38
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:58:22 pm »
I must say that I am shocked and appauled by the water stunt, and I feel embarrased that this happened in Australia and at the BBM premier.  Even without the fact that this was an attack on our Heath/Ennis, what the hell were they thinking for goodness sake???  Here's a link to an Australian artical on the event back at the time, but I can't understand how this came to be:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/01/14/1137119005601.html%3Ffrom%3Dtop5&e=10384

I don't blame Heath for not wanting to risk another stunt.  I just wish I could apologise or something, make it better, tell him we love him...
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:08:11 pm »
There's actually an interesting interview over on heathbaby.com--the 10 days he spent in Australia during the BBM premiere were pure hell, apparently. Came back to the US and put his house in Australia up for sale. Up until then, the story was that he, Michelle and the baby were going to divide their time between the two countries. Now, I guess, he considers himself a Brooklynite.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 06:38:33 pm »
There's actually an interesting interview over on heathbaby.com--the 10 days he spent in Australia during the BBM premiere were pure hell, apparently. Came back to the US and put his house in Australia up for sale. Up until then, the story was that he, Michelle and the baby were going to divide their time between the two countries. Now, I guess, he considers himself a Brooklynite.

Ah thanks for this, now I understand how this came about.  But now I'm more angry with the paparazzi and the "publicity machine" in general.  And I certainly have a lot more respect for Heath.  All of those fumbling speaches and the horrible Golden Globes introduction to BBM worried me, although in my heart I had already given him the benefit of the doubt.  Now my loyalty has been rewarded, the world makes sense again.  Heath is amazing and beautiful, I'll never doubt him again.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 11:20:22 am »
I want to see this movie!

Interesting synposis and some nice photos can be found here

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/c/candy.shtml

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 11:25:06 am »
I want to see this movie!

Mmmm! I want to see it now, too!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 09:10:16 pm »
I am not one to fawn over "celebrities" but for some reason Heath Ledger just resonates with me. There is something about him that is so soulful and real. I feel, with him, as though what you see is what you get which allows us to, I think, know him (ridiculous). I confess to fantasies about Jake but Heath is my real obsession-well, as obsessed as I can get. Uh, Brokeback Mountain 20 times, CT for hours on end-okay, I can be pretty obsessive...

O0

Heathen

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 11:51:34 pm »
I am not one to fawn over "celebrities" but for some reason Heath Ledger just resonates with me. There is something about him that is so soulful and real. I feel, with him, as though what you see is what you get which allows us to, I think, know him (ridiculous). I confess to fantasies about Jake but Heath is my real obsession-well, as obsessed as I can get. Uh, Brokeback Mountain 20 times, CT for hours on end-okay, I can be pretty obsessive...

I also take celebrity journalism with a boulder of salt, but there are some objective facts that show Heath has real integrity. 1) When he apparently could have been taking high-profile roles in blockbusters about blowing things up or comic-book characters (at least one article mentioned him being considered for Spider-Man, or maybe something LIKE Spider-Man) he instead chooses to be in a movie that, at best, was not expected to be seen by many people. 2) He's a really, really good actor. 3) He seems very gallant with Michelle. 4) He's cute. OK, I guess that last one isn't about integrity.