Author Topic: Movie: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry  (Read 18793 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Movie: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 11:29:08 am »
"...like the widespread delusion that Scarlett Johansson can act."

I thought I was the only one who felt like that!  (Especially after watching her deer-in-headlights performance in the Black Dahlia, yikes!)

The review was certainly entertaining, thanks for posting it. 

I do have to confess that I've enjoyed most of Adam Sandler's movies, even Little Nicky. (Please don't ostracise me!) I guess they are a guilty pleasure but for low-brow entertainment I appreciate the conspicuous lack of anti-gay jokes. (Same goes for the Jackass films) 

I don't think I'll see Chuck & Larry at the cinema but it looks like it's worth a rental. If only for sociological reasons, lol!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2007, 12:29:33 pm »
I'm really on the fence about what to think about this movie.  Hmmmm...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 12:40:39 pm »
That Village Voice piece was really interesting. Thanks for posting it!

I probably won't see it because I'm not a big fan of Adam Sandler movies. In fact, the movie I liked Adam Sandler best in was Spanglish, and I absolutely hated Spanglish. But I hated it for other reasons -- Adam Sandler himself was less obnoxious than usual in it. I haven't seen any of the others where he is "acting," like Punch Drunk Love or that one with Don Cheadle. But I think he seems better off trying to be a good actor than trying to be a good comedian.

That said, I now have a much more optimistic opinion of the movie than I did before!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 12:55:42 pm »
Thanks for posting that review, Leslie! 
It was very fun to read..  ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 01:10:29 pm »

That said, I now have a much more optimistic opinion of the movie than I did before!

Now keep in mind, it is at 20% over on rottentomatoes.com. There are plenty of reviewers who are ripping this to shreds and others (the New York Times) who aren't even bothering to review it. I just found the Village Voice reviewer's perspective (a gay man, obviously) interesting.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 04:49:52 pm »
Now keep in mind, it is at 20% over on rottentomatoes.com.

You can't always go with the pack though.  For example, Terry Gilliam's Tideland rates a measly 29% and as far as I'm concerned it may well be his masterpiece.
I'm certainly not comparing the two films or saying Chuck & Larry might be a masterpiece, not at all, but sometimes the majority opininion, even from professional critics, can be misleading.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 04:58:26 pm »
Now this is remarkable.

So far the SFs on this thread (myself included) are like "WTF?" about the boob-touch-request thing.  And the GMs seem to be confirming that yes, it's pretty common.

So what is up with this?

Yeah, it sometimes happens Laura. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. But I have no idea why.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2007, 05:10:15 pm »
I'm certainly not comparing the two films or saying Chuck & Larry might be a masterpiece, not at all, but sometimes the majority opininion, even from professional critics, can be misleading.

I have to agree with you on that.  :)
I generally don't read critics' reviews .. rather prefer to decide for myself, but some are interesting to read.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 05:11:51 pm »
You can't always go with the pack though.  For example, Terry Gilliam's Tideland rates a measly 29% and as far as I'm concerned it may well be his masterpiece.

Actually, one of the things I have come to love about the Internet is the ability to read multiple reviews. I can compare/contrast, find reviewers who I generally agree with, etc. Reading reviews for Chuck & Larry, they all more or less agree that Sandler & Co. are trying to convey a somewhat positive attitude towards gay marriage, negative attitude towards homophobia, and so on. What seems to be at issue is whether the movie is successful in doing this or not.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 07:55:36 pm »
Now this is remarkable.

So far the SFs on this thread (myself included) are like "WTF?" about the boob-touch-request thing.  And the GMs seem to be confirming that yes, it's pretty common.

So what is up with this?

Not really.  What this seems to have explained is that women with boob jobs like to show them off.  I've had straight women friends drag me to bathrooms to show me their storeboughts and ecouraged all and sundry to touch them.

Felt like a silicon bag under warm skin ugggggggggggg :P

That still doesn't explain the standing there in one's panties.