Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1006490 times)

Offline keller

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #270 on: October 05, 2008, 01:45:55 pm »
and you love him so much you're screenname is named after him!

Hah! I had forgotten that.

Katie, mine is also broad through the chest. Don't know if it's related to the mutation or  just the breed.

Deaf dogs do tend to bark at shadows and pretty much anything that moves. But I don't know about the circling the tree thing.

Keller seems to have good vision in one eye. He is able to play fetch, when he's not too lazy.

The dog before him that I rescued was chronically underweight, runt of the litter probably. So I have a hard time knowing normal weight.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #271 on: October 05, 2008, 02:14:39 pm »
I like your dog's name---is it in honor of Helen?

The vet will tell you a good weight for the dog.

Last month at the vet, four of mine were supposedly "overweight" and the other three were "perfect".  :P

The perfect ones run all the time. The others nap. I don't overfeed them. They all seem to be happy anyway!  ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline keller

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #272 on: October 05, 2008, 07:56:24 pm »
I like your dog's name---is it in honor of Helen?

The vet will tell you a good weight for the dog.

Last month at the vet, four of mine were supposedly "overweight" and the other three were "perfect".  :P

The perfect ones run all the time. The others nap. I don't overfeed them. They all seem to be happy anyway!  ;D

That was my challenge. I took him to the vet annual for shots and check up and they never said anything, so I figured he was fine. Then I moved and they got on my case for his obesity.  :-\

He naps a lot these days, but is always eager and energetic for a walk. So I figure he's okay, even if he is round about the middle.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #273 on: October 06, 2008, 04:19:19 am »
A vet told my mum one time, because she had an overweight dog, was to feed him twice a day, only leave the feed dish out for him for 20 minutes, then take it away, until the second feed of the day.

Apparently it is when they "graze" all day, by having food in front of them that they often become obese.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #274 on: October 06, 2008, 07:35:41 am »
A vet told my mum one time, because she had an overweight dog, was to feed him twice a day, only leave the feed dish out for him for 20 minutes, then take it away, until the second feed of the day.

Apparently it is when they "graze" all day, by having food in front of them that they often become obese.

I had a cat that I would feed 'at will'...just leave the food down for him. and he never overate at all.

I have a cat now though that would kill himself if I let him....he scarfs up his food then shoves the other cat off her bowl and eats hers....

he also eats EVERYTHING he can get his paws on...newspaper, tissues, papertowels, anything with glue on it...he digs in the garbage..

I think he needs an intervention! maybe a couple of weeks in rehab...a therapist!

Now I feed him seperately and only leave food down for a half hour. so he eats his up as quick as possible then lays on the floor and stares at the other cat thru the crack at the bottom of the door, just crying like a baby....

Offline Katie77

« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2008, 07:55:45 am »
hahhahaa.....cats are funny......i love em........

we have a cat that lives at the pet shop......lays all over the stuff we have for sale, like he owns it all......but everyone loves him, and he follows them around the shop, and then usually someone picks him up and carries him as they walk around the shop....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2008, 04:42:57 pm »
I had a cat that I would feed 'at will'...just leave the food down for him. and he never overate at all.

I have a cat now though that would kill himself if I let him....he scarfs up his food then shoves the other cat off her bowl and eats hers....

he also eats EVERYTHING he can get his paws on...newspaper, tissues, papertowels, anything with glue on it...he digs in the garbage..

I think he needs an intervention! maybe a couple of weeks in rehab...a therapist!

:laugh: Sounds like my kitty cat - who goes for his annual injections tomorrow - I'm dreading the weigh in!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #277 on: October 07, 2008, 07:36:44 am »
:laugh: Sounds like my kitty cat - who goes for his annual injections tomorrow - I'm dreading the weigh in!!

well how did it go?  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #278 on: October 07, 2008, 02:32:17 pm »

Okay actually! He just meowed a lot to and from the vets in the car and was very inquisative and miewoy in the vetrs room.... but hes fine now - and shje said he was healthy and that at 4.6kg he wasn't too bad with the weight...
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

« Reply #279 on: October 07, 2008, 05:16:57 pm »

and how did YOU go.....??