Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1006440 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2010, 10:24:44 am »
Thanks, Kelda, Chrissi, and Rich.  

Are you crate training her, Fran? I think I see some crates in the background.

Yes, she is being crate trained. (That one wall in our dining room is mirrored, so it looks like there's more than one crate in the second photo.)

The first photo was taken at the breeder's house.  Imagine those two crates in the background filled with Ember and four other whippets with her same coloring.  What a sight that was!

Offline Fran

« Reply #441 on: January 26, 2010, 02:04:36 am »
Here are some photos of Ember from her breeder.  There were eight puppies in the litter:  seven girls and one boy.  This was taken on September 1st, the puppies date of birth:

A close-up of Ember taken on September 2nd:

I'm not sure how old she was in the next one.

In other news, tomorrow I get to find out how much a replacement power cord costs for an Apple laptop.  I'm also investing in a baby gate because not-so-little Ember is sneaky...and fast.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #442 on: January 26, 2010, 10:01:10 am »
Whoa, sorry about the power cord, Fran! I just had to buy one of those myself and I was able to get a good deal at Micro Center...$80, about half the price of an Apple power cord. I hope you can break Ember of that bad habit soon, or else she will actually BE an ember!  :-\

Thank you for sharing the pictures, friend! Whippets are so loveable! My mother has had two of them, and now she has an Italian greyhound. Coco is SO devoted to my mother and such a sweet dog. She has been very long-lived too...14 years and going strong!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Fran

« Reply #443 on: January 26, 2010, 07:28:31 pm »
Whoa, sorry about the power cord, Fran! I just had to buy one of those myself and I was able to get a good deal at Micro Center...$80, about half the price of an Apple power cord. I hope you can break Ember of that bad habit soon, or else she will actually BE an ember!  :-\

Yep, FRiend Lee, you sure know your prices.  The replacement power cord was $80.  I told my daughter that we were replacing the first one, but that's it.  She's now been warned that Ember is attracted to cords and if she leaves something lying around, it's her problem, not Mom and Dad's.

But in the meantime, I also picked up some Bitter Apple to hopefully make all the things Ember's not supposed to be chewing less appealing.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #444 on: January 26, 2010, 07:46:22 pm »

A close-up of Ember taken on September 2nd:

I think I can identify Ember in that top photo. It looks like she is under the hind leg, just above another pup. I think that is her because I can see an arrow-like marking on the puppy, just like the one she has on her fur. :)

Hopefully she will learn to stay away from those cords! I hope the Bitter Apple helps you in her training, Fran.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #445 on: January 26, 2010, 07:49:32 pm »
Or maybe she is up at the top! The puppy up at the top also looks like he/she has similar markings to Ember!

Offline Fran

« Reply #446 on: January 26, 2010, 11:55:05 pm »
David, I think your first guess is correct.  And yes, that mark on her does resemble an arrow.

I'm amazed at how the pigment has faded, especially around her face.

Offline Fran

« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2010, 07:31:32 pm »
Ember now weighs 19.4 pounds, up from 18.2 on January 20th.  The vet, who used to raise Afghan hounds, says that she's coming along nicely and that she has a nice temperament.  

Look at those pretty teeth!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2010, 02:00:00 am »

Did you choose the dog matching to your corridor? ;)
Sweet picture of sweet Ember :).

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #449 on: January 29, 2010, 02:15:20 am »
Ember now weighs 19.4 pounds, up from 18.2 on January 20th.  The vet, who used to raise Afghan hounds, says that she's coming along nicely and that she has a nice temperament.  

Aww! She wants to come down and join in the fun! She probably sees that camera you are holding and wants to investigate it! :laugh:

Look at those pretty teeth!

She DOES have pretty teeth! And a pretty smile! She could even be in the movies! :-*

I love that blue collar she's sporting. Cody has a glow-in-the-dark collar. Purplish blue. So I don't trip over him at night. lol

He caused me to fall down the stairs... ALL the way down the stairs a few months ago, and I won't be having any more of THAT just now! :laugh:
:P