Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1006479 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #580 on: September 24, 2010, 02:16:14 pm »
What a cute photo of Ember. I hope she's up and back to being fit as a fiddle today!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #581 on: September 24, 2010, 02:20:30 pm »
I'm sure it's an awful thing when a beloved pet becomes ill, especially chronically ill. I watched my friend John go through this when his Dalmatian, Amadeus, who was about Coco's age, developed, er, incurable bladder problems. It was sad for John and sad for Amadeus.  :(

Based on my observations of his experience, I can sympathize with you and your mother, Lee, but, again based on my observation, there are difficult questions to be addressed here. This isn't just a matter of your mother giving Coco a shot twice a day.

Can Coco's vet offer any guidance as to what her life expectancy is now? What about her quality of life? What kind of an emotional burden would it be on your mother to administer the injections twice a day--or can you stop by twice a day and give Coco her shots? And what kind of a financial burden would this place on your mother if she has to pay for twice-daily insulin for Coco for an indefinite period?

Or can you take Coco into your home and care for her?  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #582 on: September 24, 2010, 02:22:08 pm »
Lee, I have no first-hand experience of canine diabetes. But I used to be in a dog owners' forum, and what I heard there matches what Shasta says.
In any case, it's at least worth a try. As long as the vet thinks it's ok, then it is.
Didn't your mother already want the dog to be put down earlier this year?

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #583 on: September 24, 2010, 02:54:11 pm »
FR-Lee, if your mom is adamant about "putting down" Coco, is there room for her at your house?  (Coco, not your mom.  :))

It seems that the lifespan of Italian greyhounds is 12-15 years.  Of course, there are always exceptions.

Offline Fran

« Reply #584 on: September 24, 2010, 03:17:39 pm »
Ember is much improved from yesterday but still quite sleepy thanks to her pain meds.  She goes back to the vet tomorrow to get her leg bandage changed.  The sutures from the dew claw removal will be removed in two weeks.  She's been good about not chewing/licking her bandage...so far.  I did put a little Bitter Apple on it so it is less appealing.  I also have the plastic E-collar -- one of these things:

-- she wore home from the vet's office on display, so she has a visual reminder of what she will be wearing if she's unable to leave her bandage alone.

Offline Fran

« Reply #585 on: September 26, 2010, 11:06:08 am »
The vet thinks that Ember has been licking her spaying incision, so it's come to this:

If looks could kill....

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #586 on: September 26, 2010, 11:13:44 am »
The vet thinks that Ember has been licking her spaying incision, so it's come to this:

If looks could kill....

Poor sweetie! She'll heal fast and the collar will be soon forgotten! :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #587 on: September 26, 2010, 12:06:03 pm »
Poor Ember!

She looks like Queen Elizabeth I

We are NOT amused.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #588 on: September 26, 2010, 12:17:00 pm »
Personally, I think the owners tend to take the collar harder than the dogs. I believe if you don't make any ballyhoo about it ("Oh my poor, poor doggie, that stupid, horrible collar..." - you get the picture) dogs get used to it very quickly and are barely bothered by it. But then, sighthounds are said to be sensitive - and who doesn't like to make some ballyhoo about their dog from time to time? ;)
Tell us how Ember takes the collar, willya, Fran?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #589 on: September 27, 2010, 10:08:13 pm »
Personally, I think the owners tend to take the collar harder than the dogs. I believe if you don't make any ballyhoo about it ("Oh my poor, poor doggie, that stupid, horrible collar..." - you get the picture) dogs get used to it very quickly and are barely bothered by it. But then, sighthounds are said to be sensitive - and who doesn't like to make some ballyhoo about their dog from time to time? ;)
Tell us how Ember takes the collar, willya, Fran?

That is so true, friend! My mother makes a big fuss over her dog, and her dog in turn makes a big fuss over my mom. But when I'm with her dog, it's just very straightforward. I tell her what I want her to do, she does it, and I pet her and say, "good Coco." Simple as pie!

The good news is that I think my mom has decided to put off "putting down" Coco and is waiting to see how she does. Coco seems to be doing just fine. Ember reminds me so much of Coco, but with darker coloring.
"chewing gum and duct tape"