Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1006506 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2007, 08:16:35 pm »
I got a whippet.  Ten years old.  Sleeps a lot.  :)

Her name is Madison, and she's a real sweetheart.  She loves the sofas and the beds!

I love whippets and the other sight hounds.  SOOO classy looking (you notice my oriental shorthair cat Kabuki, I'm very fond of that slender, slinky look in animals).

My older brother told us about a famous Whippet - Ashley Whippet - he saw once who used to be a champion/amazing Frisbee catcher.

But alas, I've read that if one has cats, one should avoid getting a sight hound as they tend to chase things.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2007, 11:07:24 pm »
Hi Fran,

Stuart and Nutmeg are both hampsters.  Don't mention the words "Guinnea pig" to me ... my littleist one's been begging us to let her have one!!

Charlie adores Robbie ... Robbie tolerates Charlie!!

Susie 

Of course, hampsters.  I always get them confused.  LOL

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2007, 11:12:51 pm »
Of course, hampsters.  I always get them confused.  LOL

What are "hampsters"?  Are they the same thing as hamsters or a different breed?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2007, 11:19:43 pm »
Hamsters, a bird, a dog, a bunny!!!! I would love it around your house, Susie! Now if you just had a miniature horse or one of those little fainting goats. LOL  

Since the hamsters have passed on---(they had the cutest little faces)---then I think you should get the guinea pig that your little one wants!!   ;D  No cats tho--the bird and the rabbit might be too tempting.  :P

I love the names ya'll picked--Joey, Robbie, Charlie, and Stuart---those could just be your other 4 children.   ;)  I love the name Nutmeg too.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2007, 11:20:17 pm »
What are "hampsters"?  Are they the same thing as hamsters or a different breed?

Susie lives in England, Delalluvia. Maybe that's how they spell it over there. I think I've seen it spelled that way before.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2007, 11:23:16 pm »
Hamsters, a bird, a dog, a bunny!!!! I would love it around your house, Susie! Now if you just had a miniature horse or one of those little fainting goats. LOL  

Since the hamsters have passed on---(they had the cutest little faces)---then I think you should get the guinea pig that your little one wants!!   ;D  No cats tho--the bird and the rabbit might be too tempting.  :P

I love the names ya'll picked--Joey, Robbie, Charlie, and Stuart---those could just be your other 4 children.   ;)  I love the name Nutmeg too.

I had a guinea pig when I was little. He was jet black. I named him Tribbles because he sounded like one of those tribbles from Star Trek when he cried. He was so cute and a very nice little pet. He lived an unusually long time for a guinea pig too.  :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2007, 11:23:44 pm »
I've had hamsters, turtles, snakes, chickens, calves, dogs, cats, and goldfish for pets, but I have never had a bird. I'd like to have a bird one day, but the girl who comes and lets my dogs out is deathly afraid of birds--so I'd better pass for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2007, 11:26:19 pm »
I had a guinea pig when I was little. He was jet black. I named him Tribbles because he sounded like one of those tribbles from Star Trek when he cried. He was so cute and a very nice little pet. He lived an unusually long time for a guinea pig too.  :D

Awwww...I remember those tribbles. I have a plant in my flower bed that I call my pet plant--it kinda looks like a tribble, but it's green. LOL.  I've never had a guinea pig either, but I think they are cute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2007, 11:29:40 pm »
Awwww...I remember those tribbles. I have a plant in my flower bed that I call my pet plant--it kinda looks like a tribble, but it's green. LOL.  I've never had a guinea pig either, but I think they are cute.

They are cute Shasta. They are very gentle and loving animals. Very affectionate and quite smart too. At least my little Tribbles was!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2007, 11:34:07 pm »
I love whippets and the other sight hounds.  SOOO classy looking (you notice my oriental shorthair cat Kabuki, I'm very fond of that slender, slinky look in animals).

My older brother told us about a famous Whippet - Ashley Whippet - he saw once who used to be a champion/amazing Frisbee catcher.

But alas, I've read that if one has cats, one should avoid getting a sight hound as they tend to chase things.

Delalluvia,

Your Kabuki is one gorgeous cat.  I guess I like my animals long and lean, too.

As for sighthounds and cats, I know there are some ex-racing greyhounds that are cat-friendly.  Maybe it depends on the dog.  

Ashley Whippet is famous.  He even has an entry in Wikipedia.  How cool that your brother got to see him in person!

I found this at wwwcoloradodiscdogs.com:

In 1974, 50,000 spectators at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles jumped to their feet and cheered when an uninvited canine athlete named Ashley Whippet ran 35 miles an hour, leaped nine feet in the air, and caught Frisbee discs from his owner Alex Stein for eight uninterrupted minutes between innings. But neither that audience, nor the millions watching the pennant-crucial game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Cincinnati Reds on television, could have predicted they were witnessing the birth of a canine competition that would soon thrill legions of dog lovers throughout the world. Ashley's national stadium debut was engineered by his owner Alex Stein, then a student at Ohio State. When Hollywood talent scouts failed to return Stein's calls, he took matters into his own hands and smuggled Ashley into Dodger Stadium on the evening of August 4, 1974. Ashley went on to break all records, winning the Canine Frisbee Disc World Championships three times.

Later, Ashley starred in a television commercial, entertained Amy Carter and her friends at the White House, performed at halftime at Super Bowl XII, and was a guest with Stein on such television programs as: "Wide World of Sports," "Good Morning America," "The Tonight Show," and others. He entertained at practically every NFL and Major League Baseball stadium in the United States and Canada, and starred in "Floating Free" -- a film documentary nominated for an Academy Award.