Author Topic: Animals In Our Lives  (Read 1009068 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Animals In Our Lives
« Reply #570 on: September 23, 2010, 10:52:45 am »
How is she?

I dropped her off at 8 a.m., and I can call for an update after 2:30 p.m.  She should be able to go home by 5. 

Her procedures are pretty routine, but I'm a worrier -- especially since anesthesia is involved.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #571 on: September 23, 2010, 06:47:58 pm »
Please keep my Ember in your thoughts tomorrow.  She's going to the animal hospital to be spayed and have her deformed dew claw removed.  (It was removed when she was a couple of days old but it grew back.)  And since she won't feel it, she's also going to be microchipped.

{{{{{{{{EMBER}}}}}}}}

Hope she's up and about soon!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Fran

« Reply #572 on: September 23, 2010, 07:34:59 pm »
The patient is home and resting comfortably -- well, at least I think she's comfortable.  Poor baby.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #573 on: September 23, 2010, 08:41:32 pm »
Yay.  She'll be fine.  My cats were up and around the same day.

LOVE that long dog nose.

It needs to be kissed often.   :-*

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #574 on: September 23, 2010, 09:12:28 pm »
Such a sweet face.  I hope she recovers well.  Lotsa kisses from me!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #575 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:52 pm »
The patient is home and resting comfortably -- well, at least I think she's comfortable.  Poor baby.

Aww! What a Sweetie!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #576 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:57 pm »
Aww, she's so sweet. My mother has an Italian greyhound, elderly at 12 years old, but still peppy. We received some bad news this week. "Coco" has diabetes, and needs twice-daily insulin shots. My mother seems to be of the opinion that the dog should be "put down" even though she is her loyal and constant companion. Privately, I am heartbroken about this decision, and am hoping I can talk my mom into keeping Coco and administering the injections. After all, it's my mom's fault that the dog has diabetes, since she has fed her table scraps and all manner of bad stuff, so much that Coco didn't even look like a greyhound any more (of course, I didn't bring this up with my mom). Has anyone had experience with a dog who has diabetes? How much trouble is it, actually?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Fran

« Reply #577 on: September 23, 2010, 10:47:53 pm »
Aww, she's so sweet. My mother has an Italian greyhound, elderly at 12 years old, but still peppy. We received some bad news this week. "Coco" has diabetes, and needs twice-daily insulin shots. My mother seems to be of the opinion that the dog should be "put down" even though she is her loyal and constant companion.

FRiendLee,

So sorry to hear about Coco.  :(

I don't know anything about canine diabetes, but I imagine lots of monitoring is involved and, as you said, the twice-daily insulin shots.  Maybe your mom feels that it's more than she can handle right now.  Poor Coco.  Poor Mom.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #578 on: September 24, 2010, 02:47:01 am »
Aww, she's so sweet. My mother has an Italian greyhound, elderly at 12 years old, but still peppy. We received some bad news this week. "Coco" has diabetes, and needs twice-daily insulin shots. My mother seems to be of the opinion that the dog should be "put down" even though she is her loyal and constant companion. Privately, I am heartbroken about this decision, and am hoping I can talk my mom into keeping Coco and administering the injections. After all, it's my mom's fault that the dog has diabetes, since she has fed her table scraps and all manner of bad stuff, so much that Coco didn't even look like a greyhound any more (of course, I didn't bring this up with my mom). Has anyone had experience with a dog who has diabetes? How much trouble is it, actually?

I just talked to my best friend on Wednesday. She has 8 dogs and learned last week that her Yorkie will have the same--2 insulin shots for the rest of his life. She has been giving them and she said it's not hard. The insulin is human insulin. If the dog is still able to get around and eat, she should have good quality of life with the meds.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #579 on: September 24, 2010, 09:38:31 am »
That's reassuring to hear, Shasta! Thank you! I'll continue to try to talk my mom into it. Honestly, if she didn't have the dog to take care of, she wouldn't have hardly anything to do!
"chewing gum and duct tape"