Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772053 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5250 on: May 19, 2008, 11:18:39 am »
Thanks for posting that, Mel.

Respectfully to all of us, if we read articles written about Heath, they are going to mention Heath, his work, his past, his now-impossible future.  Getting mad at the writer for bringing those things up doesn't make sense to me.  Sure, get mad and disagree with some perception the writer has, but the fact that he acknowledges the loss - "this ain't his fault."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5251 on: May 19, 2008, 11:23:07 am »
I think he would have made an excellent Gabriel too. Jake hasn't appeared in any period drama yet, has he.

Don't know about him playing Gabriel, but I agree about Jake's period drama suitability. Judging by the latest biking pics of Jake, I'd say someone should get him a men-in-tights era costume drama role pronto.

I know!!! He shold play Laurence (the main character)  in "Temeraire" when/if they put that on the big screen. The uniforms of the officers back in Napoleon's day didn't leave much to the imagination.  :P Not that such prurient considerations ever enter my mind when thinking of roles for Jake. No. Of course not. I'm merely a history and fantasy buff. So there.  :-X

Offline optom3

« Reply #5252 on: May 19, 2008, 11:26:19 am »
Thanks for posting that, Mel.

Respectfully to all of us, if we read articles written about Heath, they are going to mention Heath, his work, his past, his now-impossible future.  Getting mad at the writer for bringing those things up doesn't make sense to me.  Sure, get mad and disagree with some perception the writer has, but the fact that he acknowledges the loss - "this ain't his fault."

You know,I guess you're right.
I think I just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.I still think the gay villain is an idiotic thing to say,however I take back my comments about the films we never got to see,due to his early demise.
I had one of those heads on,where everything the author wrote was going to get on my nerves and rub me up the wrong way. Time for a caffeine fix I think!!!!!!

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #5253 on: May 19, 2008, 11:36:16 am »
More about "The Patriot"

This image bears repeating. Thank you, Paul.  :)

I loved the costumes and the *look* in this role.

And thank you so much, Shasta for the link to the historical facts side.  :)

I have looked at it some, and shall have to read more. It's interesting, and it also confirms that the British weren't quite as villainous and the Americans not quite as heroic as the film would have it seem, - but on the other hand, what movie of this type doesn't (over)simplify and leave ambiguities out in order to draw a clearer and more readily accessible picture?

One thing I left out of my bullet-point review yesterday that I *have* to mention: The Patriot reminded me of what an excellent rider Heath was. There were a couple of scenes where he was riding hell-for-leather, and in those gorgeous costumes too - and what a sight!! No wonder so many of his roles had him on horseback a lot. Many actors couldn't have done that with such ease and grace and screen presence.

If Jake auditioned for Gabriel Martin, perhaps their respective riding abilities were one element that tipped the scales in his disfavour? I remember Jake talking in one Brokeback feature of being really nervous about having to learn to ride and to have to be seen on horseback so much in the Jack Twist role, and especially being daunted because Heath already was such an outstanding rider...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5254 on: May 19, 2008, 11:58:09 am »
Oh !

Offline optom3

« Reply #5255 on: May 19, 2008, 01:54:58 pm »
Mikaela,
 I'm glad you discovered the British weren't quite the villains they were portrayed as.Now I can go and watch the dvd and see Heath in all his period costume loveliness. I was getting a little unsure up till your post.
As a Brit. in the states, it was getting a little warm in this seat!!!!!
Much in the same way I love the celebrations on July 4th, it seems strange watching the beach fireworks as a Brit.
Also it is interesting to hear some of the versions of certain historical events, my kids are being taught,as opposed to what I was taught at school.
I guess the truth lies somewhere in between.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5256 on: May 19, 2008, 01:55:27 pm »
I forgot another good reason to watch "The Patriot."  Heath was around 18 in that movie.  It's like getting a glimpse of the freshness and vulnerability of the Ennis del Mar of the summer of '63.

Regarding the use of "gay" to describe The Joker, I'll give the writer the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant "gay" in its original sense, as in "carefree and upbeat."  The guy does seem cheery.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #5257 on: May 19, 2008, 02:23:49 pm »
Mikaela,
 I'm glad you discovered the British weren't quite the villains they were portrayed as.Now I can go and watch the dvd and see Heath in all his period costume loveliness. I was getting a little unsure up till your post.
As a Brit. in the states, it was getting a little warm in this seat!!!!!

Oh, I never for a moment thought they were... that kind of villains, I mean. Although of course, in war, any war, especially as that war progresses and intensifies, there's not much room for humanity or dignity or restraint. And....  well, the film is a Mel Gibsom vehicle. He's the most unsubtle guy since....oh, I don't know, - Attila the Hun? Things are either black or white, no shades of grey.You're with us or against us. You're all good, or all bad. That kind of perspective.  :-\

Although I was a bit uncertain about a certain church burning depicted in the film. I found it nearly incredible that that scene would have been included if it wasn't historical fact. But it was bogus. Turns out (from Shasta's historical site) that in fact, it is based on the worst atrocities of the Nazis towards the end of WW II.  ::)

Do go forth and watch the film!  :) I am almost embarrassed to admit that despite the pathos and OTT bloodshed and improbabilities I did find it entertaining. Not just Heath or the grand costumes and scenery either. It's a rippin' tale. Just don't think it portrays Brits in a kind or truthful light, is all. Especially Colonel Malfoy, he's a real devil, he is. Until our pal Mel and his not-so-merry men perform the proper exorcism.  ::)

And yes, Meryl, you're so right.  :-* Though it's interesting.... in much of the film Heath looks older and more mature than those 18 years. An unusual  occurrence, when actors are normally required to play High School kids till they're passed 25! (Thinking Jake in Day After Tomorrow, for instance...)

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #5258 on: May 19, 2008, 03:00:20 pm »
Here's a nice thing I thought I'd share. Nice, as in bittersweet, I suppose...

The UK Film Mag Total Film (which I really like) has a section where they interview someone who's relevant for an opening film, by means of lobbing film quotes at them and getting their off-the-cuff response. In the June issue they interview Mackenzie Crook (probably most known to the general filmgoing public as the pirate who keeps losing his eye in "Pirates of the Caribbean"), and this is one of the questions and his answer:

Q: You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?
A: A quote from the Joker. I partied with the Joker in 2003 while making Brothers Grimm. Heath Ledger was a brilliant and impressive man and the world is a sadder place without him. I wish I'd known him better.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5259 on: May 19, 2008, 03:09:57 pm »
the film is a Mel Gibsom vehicle. He's the most unsubtle guy since....oh, I don't know, - Attila the Hun? Things are either black or white, no shades of grey.You're with us or against us. You're all good, or all bad. That kind of perspective.  :-\

Hmm ... I can think of a certain U.S. president he'd be well suited to play!  :laugh: