Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772451 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5270 on: May 19, 2008, 05:29:43 pm »
Cheers, Heathens!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5271 on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:51 pm »

This is such a sweet picture.

Strangely - and sadly - in the context of The Patriot, it reminds me of Wilfred Owen's description in the famous and harrowing WWI poem "dulce et decorum est". He's describing the horrors of war as visited upon soldiers that lately were no more than "children, ardent for some desperate glory".  And that's just how Heath looks in that picture - and how he was depicted in the beginning of the film, too....  :-\

~~~~~

Good night, Heathens!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5272 on: May 19, 2008, 07:07:13 pm »
"Gay villain"?  This guy's an idiot.

Agreed.

"That could cement the super-talented Aussie’s place on the 2008 time capsule scale."

Hunh? ???

Is he living in a box?  I would say Heath Ledger's place is cemented. Period.  No ifs, no year, no decade...it just IS.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5273 on: May 19, 2008, 11:06:40 pm »

Got tired of your dumbass missin'...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5275 on: May 20, 2008, 02:16:07 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

Wow, you were having a Patriot party yesterday evening :D Great pictures everyone.

So while you were having a Partiot party, I was having a 10 Things party, all to myself. I saw the movie yesterday evening (for the first time in OV) on DVD. It's really an enjoyable and entertaining movie, I like it for itself, not only for Heath.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5276 on: May 20, 2008, 02:20:04 am »
So while I enjoyed the movie and really had a good time, I officially lost it at this scene (and after the movie ended; I do feel a bit silly, but I guess many of you understand).

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #5277 on: May 20, 2008, 02:46:16 am »
Thank you Penthesilea!
10 Things I hate about you that's a Heath's movie I haven't seen yet and I really look forward to.
And I do understand you, I do that with all his movies.
BbM, I swear

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #5278 on: May 20, 2008, 02:56:39 am »
Don't know about him playing Gabriel, but I agree about Jake's period drama suitability. Judging by the latest biking pics of Jake, I'd say someone should get him a men-in-tights era costume drama role pronto.

I know!!! He shold play Laurence (the main character)  in "Temeraire" when/if they put that on the big screen. The uniforms of the officers back in Napoleon's day didn't leave much to the imagination.  :P Not that such prurient considerations ever enter my mind when thinking of roles for Jake. No. Of course not. I'm merely a history and fantasy buff. So there.  :-X
That makes two of us!  ;D
BbM, I swear

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5279 on: May 20, 2008, 06:15:04 am »

About the accents.. I was thinking while watching the film, how strange it was to have the two leads in a film about the American War of Independence both played by two Aussies. Not being a native English speaker myself I was utterly unable to judge how well they spoke the proper accents for the roles, but knowing Heath I'm sure he did so to perfection!

Actually, Mel Gibson is American. He was born in Peekskill, NY. His mother was Australian and they moved to New South Wales when he was around 11 or 12 (I think. I can't find an accurate source right this second). His acting career began in Australia and he picked up an Australian accent for the Mad Max movies and Tim, but seemed to lose it pretty quickly when he re-settled in the US and moved his career to Hollywood.

I suspect that at the the time of the American Revolution, all the colonists/revolutionaries/patriots (whatever you want to call them) all spoke English with a decidedly British accent. I doubt that southerners sounded southern and "y'all" probably hadn't been invented.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!