Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3771806 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5760 on: July 09, 2008, 04:45:39 pm »
Thank you for explaining, Meryl!  :-*

I hope that the four hosts at least made some sound critical comments and common sense objections, as well as mentioned the level of fraud that has been exposed as relates to medium(s) and their activities.

Mostly, they were polite, made some jokes and some offhand comments that showed they were skeptical.  Barbara especially asked pointed questons and was clearly not a believer.  When Van Praagh did readings for some audience members, they made sure to ask the subjects whether he was indeed bringing up true information for them.  Frankly, I was glad they didn't include one of those professional skeptics as a guest.  Their aim was presumably for the show to be entertaining, and it was.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5761 on: July 09, 2008, 04:58:20 pm »
does it make me a bad Brokie if I didn't know they used the f word 23 times in Brokeback Mountain?

???

:P

I can't imagine you as a bad Brokie, Bel.  :-*  Hey, fly to Seattle and get up at the crack of dawn Sat July 19th and see TDK with us!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5762 on: July 09, 2008, 05:00:34 pm »
Okay here you go....  (I edited out a few ands, ums, etc...)

--Jay says that Heath “had been coming here since he was a teenager.  He was just a nice kid.”

And then Aaron talks about working with Heath: “The time that I spent with him (Heath) was amazing, and as an actor, to act with somebody who really loves their craft, who really loves their character, who enjoys the process of acting so much… It was a pleasure to work with him.”

“When he came in, we did a scene, I didn’t have much to do in the scene, Heath really takes over the scene, but when he came in there, it was, you know, I had to hold on to my shirt because he was going a hundred miles an hour, he was doing all this great stuff with his character and every time was different.  I’ve never seen an actor come on stage, or come on to the movie set, and the crew perks up.  He electrified the crew.  Every single time that I hadn’t been working, I would come in and I would say to Chris Nolan, the director, and say ‘What’s going on?  What’s been happening’ and his eyes would light up and he would say ‘Oh my gosh Heath did this’ and ‘Heath did this’ and ‘His character he did this.’ He gives an amazing performance in this movie.”--

It was really nice and heartfelt.

I LOVE this!  Thank you SO much for going to the effort of transcribing this!  I should be TiVoing for TDK cast and main crew, I just realized. 

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5763 on: July 09, 2008, 05:03:23 pm »
Their aim was presumably for the show to be entertaining, and it was.

Well, as long as they didn't come across as endorsing it.... Still a pity that poor Heath's memory got dragged into it. I suppose Elvis and John Lennon are too old news by now for the mediums to garner any attention, being visited by them!

ETA: Oh, and if anyone has a YOUTUBe clip link to the interview on that talk show with AE, I'd love to have it!  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5764 on: July 09, 2008, 05:06:02 pm »
does it make me a bad Brokie if I didn't know they used the f word 23 times in Brokeback Mountain?

???

:P

I'm frankly surprised that there are only 23 f-bombs in BBM.  I would have guessed a higher number.

I wonder how many times the word "hunh" or "huh" is in the movie.
 ??? ;D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5765 on: July 09, 2008, 05:10:49 pm »
So it's OK that a film contains loads of scary and sadistic murder and mayhem, as long as the villains don't scream "fuck" while they're killing people?  ???

Thank you for explaining, Leslie.  :)  But it still doesn't make sense to me, personally.

I'd never have let someone who wasn't well past 15 watch this film, from what I'm reading over here, - in fact, I've started worrying again how it will impact *me*. I do my best to stay away from having my mind polluted by too much human pain and horror displayed for entertainment purposes and from having my empathy numbed down by strong depictions of cruelty and sadism.... and the NFB's comment concerning "massive depiction of cruelty and violence in a threatening and very dark universe" worries me. Now none of the film reviews I have read comment on that aspect at all, even when it comes to the Joker it's all reviewers' screams of joy, and noone bothers about what he is shown getting up to, just that Heath is so good at making it believable.... so I had actually stopped worrying. But of course they are all American reviewers and used to films with massive violence being viewed by all and sundry, and so probably saw no problem as long as nobody said "fuck".  ::)

Please guys, once you've seen it - let me know if the violence is over the top and of the kind that might leave a somewhat sensitive person sleepless.  :-\

Mikaela, I agree with your main point here hunnerd per cent.  When I first started hearing about TDK, I assumed it was a Heath movie I just was going to have to skip.  But when he died, and it became clear that his body of work was finite, I knew I was going to see TDK (and Candy and Monster's Ball, which I had assumed I would never, ever see).   And I started getting excited to see TDK, reading what people were saying about Heath.  But yeah, "massive depiction of cruelty and violence in a threatening and very dark universe" sounds very grim.  I'm going to see it, but it is why I decided to not go for the IMAX experience, which engulfs a person.

And just to say - and to just be honest about how something is striking me - it's not that I disagree with your depiction of some American popular movies having massive violence that might tend to make people become complacent and inured to horror, but I just want to say that I am an American, born and bred, and I'm not into those movies, and I know plenty of other Americans who aren't. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5766 on: July 09, 2008, 05:14:28 pm »
Hey, I just remembered what Heath said in that first TDK interview I found and posted within the last two weeks - something about how the violence in the movie is more threatened and implied than overt and gory.  Anybody remember that, and has the time to find it?

Not that threatened violence isn't damaging.   :-\

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5767 on: July 09, 2008, 06:01:44 pm »

I can't imagine you as a bad Brokie, Bel.  :-*  Hey, fly to Seattle and get up at the crack of dawn Sat July 19th and see TDK with us!

Well, you know, I would, but a) don't have $$$ to travel, and b) I have to move that weekend!!!!

:)

Mikaela - regarding the violence of TDK.  Did you see Batman Begins?  How was that for you?  What about Point Break?  (old Keanu Reeves/Patrick Swayze movie - honestly, i just asked that b/c of the masked robbers scene)  I am anticipating that TDK will be violent, but not gory.  How do you want us to let you know without giving away spoilers?  (trying to be helpful, not nosey or pushy or anything)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5768 on: July 09, 2008, 06:03:58 pm »
ps Elle - I see that you are staring down at 10,000 posts!!!

:o :o :o

;D
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5769 on: July 09, 2008, 06:26:49 pm »
ps Elle - I see that you are staring down at 10,000 posts!!!

:o :o :o

;D

Wow, hadn't noticed.  Just 560+ posts to go!  :laugh:  Should take me a week or so.  :laugh: