Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375726 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2009, 03:54:49 pm »

I wouldn't call it cowardly, I think it's nothing but common sense and manners.

:-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
I'm sure Annie Proulx wouldn't take kindly to any kind of Brokeback fics, and who can blame her - it's her creation, and one at that which made a particularly strong impression even on her - of course she's possessibe of them, even beyond the intellectual right/copyright legalities.

But nevertheless I cannot imagine any of the good fic writers being stupidly senseless (and inconsiderate) enough to write Ms. Proulx and tell her "here's how your story *should* have gone". Which means that what she *has* actually received and looked through probably is the very definition of badfic. Which is sad on more than one count: 

If she were to read any BBM fics I'd much rather those were some of the fandom's finest, in terms of writing style, plot, theme and characterization. At least that way she would have gotten a better and (hopefully) more favourable impression of how her work and her 2 beloved characters have impressed and inspired her readers.

Also, sending a published author badfics to annoy her seems as good a way as any to have a C&D crackdown happen. So these "writers" were inconsiderate not only to Ms Proulx but to the fandom at large.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2009, 09:57:17 am »
Has anyone read "Got Me Good" by jen_wcugirl?  It was just updated recently (currently has 21 chapters and was begun back in 07) and, over the weekend I started reading it when I was hunting around for something new to begin. 

Wow!  It's certainly intense and not for the faint-hearted.  I've read about half of the story at this point.  The scenario involves the "army getting" Jack and he winds up a POW.  And, its a lot about the repercussions of his experiences, Ennis's response, etc.

The writing is quite strong and she's a good storyteller.  But, again, the scenario is pretty brutal.  I'd be curious to hear other folks' reactions if they've read this one. 

Here's a link to the beginning of the story:
http://jen-wcugirl.livejournal.com/8868.html

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2009, 03:57:30 pm »
Chapter 10 of Bus Stop is up
http://bcatjr.livejournal.com/20330.html

This story really has picked up pace and this last chapter was very tense and sexy.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2009, 04:27:13 pm »
But nevertheless I cannot imagine any of the good fic writers being stupidly senseless (and inconsiderate) enough to write Ms. Proulx and tell her "here's how your story *should* have gone". Which means that what she *has* actually received and looked through probably is the very definition of badfic.

what I remember [Annie Proulx] saying was that she had received some fanfic written by gay men, that were telling Annie that her being a woman, could not possibly understand the truth in the story she had written.  . . . My idea is
however, I have seen very few stories that are written by gay men, and she may well have been mistaken on that item.

One thing I don't believe I've heard discussed is the assumption that these were gay male fanfic writers. Annie Proulx referred to them as such but judging from the whole context she never met any of these people -- they just wrote to her.

In other words, we have only the word of the sender or senders that they were gay. Or male. Or even fanfic writers.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2009, 04:39:40 pm »
One thing I don't believe I've heard discussed is the assumption that these were gay male fanfic writers. Annie Proulx referred to them as such but judging from the whole context she never met any of these people -- they just wrote to her.

In other words, we have only the word of the sender or senders that they were gay. Or male. Or even fanfic writers.

Or that the work she was sent was their own work.  They could have sent her chapters from my series, for example, just to get a comment.  Or cause trouble.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2009, 04:53:01 pm »
That would have been easy to do -- all it would take was knowing how to cut-and-paste. And there are some real clunkers out there!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2009, 07:19:17 pm »
Has anyone read "Got Me Good" by jen_wcugirl?  It was just updated recently (currently has 21 chapters and was begun back in 07) and, over the weekend I started reading it when I was hunting around for something new to begin. 

Wow!  It's certainly intense and not for the faint-hearted.  I've read about half of the story at this point.  The scenario involves the "army getting" Jack and he winds up a POW.  And, its a lot about the repercussions of his experiences, Ennis's response, etc.

The writing is quite strong and she's a good storyteller.  But, again, the scenario is pretty brutal.  I'd be curious to hear other folks' reactions if they've read this one. 

Here's a link to the beginning of the story:
http://jen-wcugirl.livejournal.com/8868.html

Amanda, I've never read it, but if the writing is good, I'll look into it! 

Chapter 10 of Bus Stop is up
http://bcatjr.livejournal.com/20330.html

This story really has picked up pace and this last chapter was very tense and sexy.

I just caught up with "Bus Stop" tonight.  I thought this chapter was really well done.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2009, 08:03:11 pm »
Hi Marie,

I actually stopped reading that story.  I haven't read too much more of it since I made that post asking about it a while back.  It got too bleak and way too grim for my taste.  The writing is strong, I'll certainly say that.  But, I just couldn't bring myself to keep reading it.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2009, 01:52:38 pm »
Hi Marie,

I actually stopped reading that story.  I haven't read too much more of it since I made that post asking about it a while back.  It got too bleak and way too grim for my taste.  The writing is strong, I'll certainly say that.  But, I just couldn't bring myself to keep reading it.

Ah, okay.  That's not what I'm in the mood for right now, so thanks for the heads-up on that, Amanda. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain