Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375772 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2009, 10:22:20 am »
Is it "Once Was Lost."?  Oddly enough, I never got around to reading this story either - I may have read the first chapter, I'm not sure.  But I'm thinking I remember a synopsis that they each think the other is dead.

Yes, that was it! Good memory Marie :).

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2009, 03:51:09 pm »
I thought I'd give a heads up that Chapters 14a, 14b and 15a of The Tenderfoot have been posted.  She originally forgot to post them to Brokebackslash so they may have been missed.  I know I didn't see them until today.

Chapter 14a:  http://lv2walk.livejournal.com/7558.html
Chapter 14b:  http://lv2walk.livejournal.com/7891.html
Chapter 15a:  http://lv2walk.livejournal.com/7992.html

And a guessing game (you need to read the chapters first):

http://lv2walk.livejournal.com/8240.html
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2009, 03:32:49 am »
Thanks for the update Mariez!

I´ve been re-reading "Portrait of a Farmer" - again. It´s breathtaking. How can somebody actually write this good? I´ve read it I don´t know how many times now, and it´s flawless. Reading it always makes me wish I were a painter, cause then I´d paint Ennis the way Jack sees him in this story

"Young man, ‘bout my age maybe, and tall; and as he approach, my blood begin to hum as I see he got the same still quiet in his face as the other three, but with somethin’ within it that speak to me of the quintessential American icon: cowboy limberness and sinew; his face, shaded ‘neath his cowboy hat, tough as leather, but sad, somehow; and a strange wistfulness in his dark eyes that now look into my own and which make me want to get down on my knees in gratitude.

Him. This one. He is the very essence of the thing that I seek, the dead dreams of this country, the beauty of the land that has withered in the face of promises unkept."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2009, 09:11:17 pm »
I just thought about recommending Tenderfoot here, LOL :laugh:.

Marie is absolutely right with her comment. I enjoy the lightheartedness of the story very much. Lovely and entertaining; no serious, dark or angst stuff for a change. :)

Thanks for these recs about Tenderfoot.  I've been watching the postings of that story come in and have been wondering about it.  With this encouragement, I'll definitely give it a look.

I'm stopping by tonight to ask folks about Wave on Wave.  I'd really like to hear some discussions/ recommendations about this one. I read the first several chapters when she first started posting the story.  And, I was impressed by the quality of the writing, but I grew frustrated with the pace and some of the angst, so I stopped reading it a long time ago.  I'm wondering if I should give it another shot.  Words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2009, 09:47:37 pm »
Thanks for these recs about Tenderfoot.  I've been watching the postings of that story come in and have been wondering about it.  With this encouragement, I'll definitely give it a look.

I'm stopping by tonight to ask folks about Wave on Wave.  I'd really like to hear some discussions/ recommendations about this one. I read the first several chapters when she first started posting the story.  And, I was impressed by the quality of the writing, but I grew frustrated with the pace and some of the angst, so I stopped reading it a long time ago.  I'm wondering if I should give it another shot.  Words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Hey Amanda!  I just read the latest update of "Wave on Wave" tonight.  Not to give too much away, but the pace picks up nicely and the angst is not prolonged.  In fact, I'd say it's probably one of the least angsty fics I've read in a while - at this point anyway - I know there's always ups and downs with these things, but I like that the issues that arise come from outside their relationship.  It's not a story where Jack and Ennis themselves are always at odds with each other, which is enjoyable.  And the writer has a very pleasant way of giving nice homey details that draw me in. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2009, 09:57:13 pm »
Hey Amanda!  I just read the latest update of "Wave on Wave" tonight.  Not to give too much away, but the pace picks up nicely and the angst is not prolonged.  In fact, I'd say it's probably one of the least angsty fics I've read in a while - at this point anyway - I know there's always ups and downs with these things, but I like that the issues that arise come from outside their relationship.  It's not a story where Jack and Ennis themselves are always at odds with each other, which is enjoyable.  And the writer has a very pleasant way of giving nice homey details that draw me in. 

Thanks Marie!  That's very helpful. :)

retropian

« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2009, 11:02:20 pm »
Thanks for the update Mariez!

I´ve been re-reading "Portrait of a Farmer" - again. It´s breathtaking. How can somebody actually write this good? I´ve read it I don´t know how many times now, and it´s flawless. Reading it always makes me wish I were a painter, cause then I´d paint Ennis the way Jack sees him in this story

"Young man, ‘bout my age maybe, and tall; and as he approach, my blood begin to hum as I see he got the same still quiet in his face as the other three, but with somethin’ within it that speak to me of the quintessential American icon: cowboy limberness and sinew; his face, shaded ‘neath his cowboy hat, tough as leather, but sad, somehow; and a strange wistfulness in his dark eyes that now look into my own and which make me want to get down on my knees in gratitude.

Him. This one. He is the very essence of the thing that I seek, the dead dreams of this country, the beauty of the land that has withered in the face of promises unkept."

Are there links to "Portait of a Farmer"?

Is there a link to "Wave on Wave" too? I'm intrigued.

Thanks. Ian

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2009, 11:33:13 pm »

Is there a link to "Wave on Wave" too? I'm intrigued.

Thanks. Ian

Here's a link to Wave on Wave's first chapter: http://the-boys-n-me.livejournal.com/652.html#cutid1

Chapter 31 was posted today, so there's already a lot to read for this story.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2009, 05:06:28 pm »
Another great story has an update today (in addition to Tainted Evidence).  Chapter 18 of the Bus Stop was recently posted:
http://bcatjr.livejournal.com/24792.html

Is there a thread for the Bus Stop?  It's one of my favorite stories in progress at the moment.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2009, 07:47:47 am »
FINALLY!!

Another chapter of Propinquity by Lolitaray. (Chapter 12)

http://lolitaray.livejournal.com/76928.html?view=3245696#t3245696

In this story Ennis and Jack are halfbrothers (by blood), so things are...complicated. One of my favorites.

By the same author I also wanna mention "The Moments Between" (finished).  It´s canon and amazingly interesting and well-written. If I´d have to chose, I´d chose Propinquity because it´s edgier, but TMB in a must-read in my opinon.