Author Topic: In Plain Sight by Victopet  (Read 75071 times)

mvansand76

In Plain Sight by Victopet
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:21:10 am »

In Plain Sight is a crossover between the movie Witness and BBM. It's got great dialogue and an interesting storyline with Ennis as an Amish man and Jack as a streetwise cop.

http://victopet.livejournal.com
Her journal is friendslocked now, so you have to ask her to be friended...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: In Plain Sight by Victopet
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 04:24:34 pm »
Chapters 11 and 12 are now up. 

Yes, the dialogue is very strong - whether its Amish!Ennis, toughcopwithsoftheart!Jack or even little Samuel.  And she gives Ennis's character such respect - he's naive, but very smart.  And his feelings and struggles are never treated with condescension.   I find the idea of this Ennis being drawn to this Jack especially enticing. 

Not to mention the murder and the mystery surrounding Ennis's brother, K.E. which are interesting by themselves

Marie
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:59:33 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

yb

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:20:07 am »
Chapter 13 is now up. 

Marie, a little correction there.  Vic has posted 2 chapters today - chapter 11 & 12.  It may be a while until we get another update because Vic is starting a new job.  But great chapters as always, and she left us with a cliffhanger.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:50:28 pm »
Marie, a little correction there.  Vic has posted 2 chapters today - chapter 11 & 12.  It may be a while until we get another update because Vic is starting a new job.  But great chapters as always, and she left us with a cliffhanger.

Thanks for catching that, yb!  I'll correct my post. Yes, she took me by surprise when I saw that she posted another chapter so quickly. 

SPOILERS

It was a great cliffhanger, wasn't it? - we are off and running with this story now.  Wonderful characters and a suspenseful plot.  I imagine that being forced into hiding with a wounded Jack can't help but bring more of Ennis's feelings to the surface.... and Jack's too.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 01:03:18 pm »
Thanks for catching that, yb!  I'll correct my post. Yes, she took me by surprise when I saw that she posted another chapter so quickly. 

SPOILERS

It was a great cliffhanger, wasn't it? - we are off and running with this story now.  Wonderful characters and a suspenseful plot.  I imagine that being forced into hiding with a wounded Jack can't help but bring more of Ennis's feelings to the surface.... and Jack's too.

Marie

Have you guys seen Witness? I have, about 10 times, so I can't think of this story without thinking of:

* Harrison Ford singing Sam Cooke's What a wonderful world this would be to Kelly McGillis.
* The building the barn scene
* Rachel bringing Book the lemonade while he is all sweaty and building a new birdhouse...

:D

yb

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 07:47:22 pm »
I haven't watched Witness, but I did watch the dance clip on youtube that Vic provided, I can totally see Jack in Harrison Ford's character, and Ennis laughing heartily while dancing with Jack will definitely be a charming scene.  I'm anxiously waiting to read how Vic will write this scene.

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 07:23:46 am »

A new chapter has been posted and it's wonderful! Anybody who is not reading this story yet, should start now. It's one of my favorites right now....

yb

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:36:10 pm »
Quoting Maggie, this is by far one of the best stories out there.

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 01:38:15 am »
Quoting Maggie, this is by far one of the best stories out there.

I agree! So happy to see a thread here for it. I haven't read Chapter 15 yet (I think its chapter 15?) but I plan on doing so first thing in the morning. Can't wait!  ;D
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 12:20:47 pm »
The setting in Amish land is intriguing - an interesting layer to the story. 

SPOILER

I admit to being amazed at Ennis's extreme naivete.  Yikes.  Reading through some the comments and the author's replies, I guess it makes sense.  It's hard to get into the mindset of someone who's been so restricted and sheltered  - not only from his own body, but from having his own thoughts, as well.  I think it's a combination of denial and fear on top of his innocence.   I felt so sorry for him, though, thinking that perhaps he's caught some "English" disease or infection. 

The contrast between Ennis and Velda is fascinating.  She is clearly not afraid to be a rebel.  I wonder why she hasn't had her own Rumspringa?  Or maybe she has?   

I'm enjoying this story very much ...

Marie

Offline victopet

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 06:18:30 am »
Wow!
I am flattered that you've started a story thread for IPS.

I'm working on the next chapter now. 
One thing you ned to keep in mind that the Amish people -- and Ennis probably more than average -- are sheltered from the mass media.  By choice, they do not watch TV or go to the movies, and many of them don't read English newspapers or magazines -- though some do listen to battery-operated transistor radios for local emergency news.  They get most of their information from their communities -- and in restrictive, ulta-Christian cultures such as this,  their knowledge of sex and related topics is very restricted.  For instance, when a man and woman "court," many times it is done in secret -- and when they announce their engagement, it's supposed to be news  to the community.  Bedroom details are rarely discussed openly.

That said -- of course you're going to have people like Velda.  And there's more to what's going on with Ennis (as we shall see) than just being Amish.  He knows himself better than he thinks.  And he is also able to deny more than he realizes.

Thanks you guys for reading!!

yb

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 06:30:37 am »
Hello, Vic

Great to see you here, and good to hear you're working on the next chapter, hope we don't have to wait long for it.

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 06:38:04 am »
Wow!
I am flattered that you've started a story thread for IPS.

I'm working on the next chapter now. 
One thing you ned to keep in mind that the Amish people -- and Ennis probably more than average -- are sheltered from the mass media.  By choice, they do not watch TV or go to the movies, and many of them don't read English newspapers or magazines -- though some do listen to battery-operated transistor radios for local emergency news.  They get most of their information from their communities -- and in restrictive, ulta-Christian cultures such as this,  their knowledge of sex and related topics is very restricted.  For instance, when a man and woman "court," many times it is done in secret -- and when they announce their engagement, it's supposed to be news  to the community.  Bedroom details are rarely discussed openly.

That said -- of course you're going to have people like Velda.  And there's more to what's going on with Ennis (as we shall see) than just being Amish.  He knows himself better than he thinks.  And he is also able to deny more than he realizes.

Thanks you guys for reading!!

Wow, this is all very intriguing! Thanks for joining us here, Vic and telling us about the story. Can't wait to read the next chapter! This really is one of my favourites out there!

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 01:49:39 pm »
Oh how I hope this will be updated soon!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 08:28:58 pm »
Oh how I hope this will be updated soon!

This is getting spooky, Mel! A couple weeks ago you hoped for CY and it appeared the next day ...and now..... Chapter 16!: :D

http://victopet.livejournal.com/16411.html?view=769307#t769307

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 08:30:08 am »
This is getting spooky, Mel! A couple weeks ago you hoped for CY and it appeared the next day ...and now..... Chapter 16!: :D

http://victopet.livejournal.com/16411.html?view=769307#t769307

Marie

:o Really? Can't wait to get home and print it!  :P

yb

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 08:58:19 pm »
And another chapter is posted - chapter 17:

http://victopet.livejournal.com/16824.html

This chapter features the long-awaited moustache shaving scene, highly erotic and extremely well-written.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 01:58:23 pm »
And another chapter is posted - chapter 17:
This chapter features the long-awaited moustache shaving scene, highly erotic and extremely well-written.

Well written, indeed!  There are many things I appreciate about this story, and one of the things I like the most is the author's way of showing Ennis's naivete in such a respectful way.  We always see how smart Ennis is, and how thoughtful, in spite of his inexperience and ignorance of sexual matters. 

I said in my comment that The Education of Ennis del Mar has begun - but it occurs to me that The Education of Jack Twist has also begun!   A great chapter in a great story.

Marie

Offline victopet

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 11:27:28 pm »

I said in my comment that The Education of Ennis del Mar has begun - but it occurs to me that The Education of Jack Twist has also begun!   A great chapter in a great story.

Marie
Yay!
I think, more than anything, what I am setting out to accomplish with this is that both of them have something to learn AND something to teach.  And that neither way is right or wrong.  It just happens to be what you need to do to find your place in the world (and it's not always the place you're born into -- sometimes it takes some searching.)

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 06:37:54 am »
Yay!
I think, more than anything, what I am setting out to accomplish with this is that both of them have something to learn AND something to teach.  And that neither way is right or wrong.  It just happens to be what you need to do to find your place in the world (and it's not always the place you're born into -- sometimes it takes some searching.)

I love that about your story (one of the many things I love about it), they are both going to learn the things they need to learn in life to grow as human beings, for themselves and for each other!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 01:47:47 pm »
Yay!

Yes, I can see that clearly in the story.  I really love that give-and-take, that balance - both their "educations" will go far beyond sex. 

Thanks,
Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 05:01:55 pm »
Hey, isn't it time for a new chapter?

::)

;D

yb

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 12:46:58 am »
I'm not sure if you're also reading Brokeback Redemption, Vic just replied to my lj comment that the next update will be BR.  I am really excited about this news, I miss BR so much.

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 07:21:55 am »
I'm not sure if you're also reading Brokeback Redemption, Vic just replied to my lj comment that the next update will be BR.  I am really excited about this news, I miss BR so much.

I never really completely got caught up in that story, so I am a bit sad she won't be updating IPS first, but I understand, the muse does what it does! I literally check my lj every day to see if there is an IPS update, so I guess I can stop doing that for a while! Great that she is still writing though!  :)

yb

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 02:10:05 am »
A surprise update of IPS as I was expecting one of BR, here's the link to chapter 18 of IPS:

http://victopet.livejournal.com/16955.html?view=832059#t832059

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 04:28:35 am »
A surprise update of IPS as I was expecting one of BR, here's the link to chapter 18 of IPS:

http://victopet.livejournal.com/16955.html?view=832059#t832059

*faints*

Marrrrrriiiiiiiieeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 01:52:31 pm »
Yay!  Thanks for the heads-up, yb!

And, yep, Mel, I saw it!   :laugh:

SPOILERS

Great talk between J&E - it was very realistic to me, and very touching, also.  Ennis is so intrinsically honest - I think that will end up being his salvation (eventually - he's got a long road ahead of him). 

Velda - I can't say I was too terribly surprised by her outburst - I've sensed her resentment, frustration and anger - but I am anxious to hear more of her story. Why can't she have a rumspringa?  I like that I'm able to feel so sorry for her, but, at the same time, find her kind of annoying.  I like that complexity. 

Okay, these two have to find a way to ditch Velda and Alma - they've both got more learning to do! 

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 02:16:32 pm »

Okay, these two have to find a way to ditch Velda and Alma - they've both got more learning to do! 

:P

mvansand76

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 02:00:46 pm »
I hope there will an update for this soon... I remember Vic said in her author's note that she had the next chapter almost ready....

:-\

yb

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 09:22:27 pm »
I am waiting for an update, too. 

yb

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 10:38:05 pm »
Finally, here comes the updates, and 2 chapters in a row, links are in below:

chapter 19 - http://victopet.livejournal.com/17295.html

chapter 20 - http://victopet.livejournal.com/17490.html

Enjoy!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2008, 06:09:49 am »
Thanks for the link yb. What a treat on the first day of the year!

*off to read*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008, 04:50:14 pm »
Thanks, yb!

SPOILERS

That was exceptionally well done - sublime, in fact.  As much as I enjoyed Ennis's "lesson" I must say that I'm looking forward to what Ennis can eventually teach Jack - his "lessons" will be of a different kind, for sure - probably not so obviously "lessons" at all - but no less important, I don't think. 

Will Jack leave today - and will this be the start of their "separation" period?  I can't figure out what will happen next. 

Marie

yb

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 10:57:42 pm »
I concur with every word you said.  They are so worth waiting for.

From Vic's response to one of the comments, I get the feeling that Jack is not leaving yet. 

SPOILERS

That was exceptionally well done - sublime, in fact.  As much as I enjoyed Ennis's "lesson" I must say that I'm looking forward to what Ennis can eventually teach Jack - his "lessons" will be of a different kind, for sure - probably not so obviously "lessons" at all - but no less important, I don't think. 

Will Jack leave today - and will this be the start of their "separation" period?  I can't figure out what will happen next. 

Marie

yb

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 10:11:36 pm »
FWIW, if anybody is also reading Brokeback Redemption, Vic has posted chapter 23:

http://victopet.livejournal.com/17697.html#cutid1

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 06:39:27 pm »
Chapter 21 of IPS is up!

http://victopet.livejournal.com/18373.html

SPOILERS

Excellent pacing.  Despite the awkwardness, these two can't help but fall into a comfortable rhythm as they start to open up with, and learn from, each other. An intriguing conversation about Kurt - and an intriguing and troubling conversation with Randall.

And, yes, it looks like Jack will be staying with Ennis a while longer!

Marie

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 09:42:32 pm »
I was so happy tp see IPS  :D I  had been wondering what was to become of it so-yippee. That cliff hanger we were left on was high and heady-one of the hottest chaps ever written. Yikes! I am truly curious about how this story will resolve itselft.

O0

Heathen

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 01:31:04 am »
I hadn't expected this update. What a wonderful surprise!

I agree about the pacing. It feels right, very comfortable, just like Jack feels with Ennis. How sad that Ennis didn't understand how anybody could be comfortable around him  :-\.

And the conversation about Kurt had me thinking too. Was there any reference earlier in the story that Jack might have met Kurt? I don't think so...

Maybe I should go reread a few chapters  :)

This is a great read!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2008, 12:41:57 pm »
Chapter 22 is up!   

http://victopet.livejournal.com/18499.html

And victopet said "More is on its way....."   :)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 12:58:38 pm »
As promised....Chapters 23 and 24!

http://victopet.livejournal.com/18756.html

http://victopet.livejournal.com/19172.html

Authors' Note:  Hi again.  Here's yet another update to IPS.  I'm finding that writing shorter chapters is easier to manage, so I am trying something new.  Yes, there's still more after this. 

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 10:20:35 pm »
Chapter 27 is up (and the promise of "more on the way")!

http://victopet.livejournal.com/19767.html

SPOILERS

This story keeps getting better and better.  I thought the dialogue in this chapter was masterful.  And the closing paragraph is gorgeous - they're falling in love.   :)

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 06:32:05 pm »
Chapter 28!

http://victopet.livejournal.com/20033.html  :)

Author's note:...I've got the next chapter almost ready and I hope to be posting it shortly....

Another terrific chapter - her pacing is spot on.  They're just about to have "the talk" about Kurt so the next chapter should answer some questions (and maybe raise a few more?) 

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2008, 11:40:26 am »
Chapters 29 and 30 are up!

Authors' Note:  Hi everyone -- It's been very slow going for me with the writing -- work and the family are quite hectic.  But I have 12 days off between the holidays and am hoping to crank out a few chapters.  This one is probably rated PG, but this and the next will go far to explaining a lot of different things and setting the stage for how our boys relate from here on out.  Happy Reading -- and once again, sorry for the long delay. For those of you still reading,  let me know what you think.

Vic

http://victopet.livejournal.com/20488.html?#cutid1

http://victopet.livejournal.com/20848.html?#cutid1

Marie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2008, 06:41:15 pm »
as well as chapter 31!

http://victopet.livejournal.com/21134.html?#cutid1

You could cut the tension between them with a knife...

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2008, 07:28:14 pm »
I sure hope Victopet will update soon....she´s driving me crazy! :laugh:

I´ve been refreashing my friends page on LJ several times today. I´m a bit eager ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 08:58:27 pm »
I sure hope Victopet will update soon....she´s driving me crazy! :laugh:

I´ve been refreashing my friends page on LJ several times today. I´m a bit eager ;D

LOL.  You and me both.  What a place to leave us  - and them - hanging! 

Marie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 02:27:01 pm »
Chapter 33 of In Plain Sight is up!

http://victopet.livejournal.com/21548.html

It really feels like she´s working her way up to an action packed chapter....*bite my nails*

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2009, 02:15:06 pm »
Chapter 34:

http://victopet.livejournal.com/21772.html

SPOILERS

We learn more about Velda's boyfriend and what their plans are for the night.....

You can almost see the wheels turning in Ennis's head in this chapter, and the puzzle pieces shifting into place...

And we finally (kind of) meet Kurt/K.E. in person.... another cliffhanger. 

Marie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 08:13:29 pm »

I really love this story.  I just wish we didnt have to wait so long between updates.

Beautiful mind

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »
and chapter 35 is up

http://victopet.livejournal.com/22256.html

Ennis finally comes face to face with his brother Kurt

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2009, 02:10:37 pm »
and chapter 35 is up

http://victopet.livejournal.com/22256.html

Ennis finally comes face to face with his brother Kurt

He sure does.   :'(   And that's not the only thing that happens .......

I'm always anxious for updates, but I don't want this story to come to an end either.

Marie

karen1129

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 10:23:49 pm »
I love, love this story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 10:48:24 pm »
I love, love this story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen, thanks for the PM.  I just now asked Victopet to friend me over at LJ.  I can't wait to start reading.  Thanks, again!  By the way, I'm Mariasmommy over at LJ.  :)

karen1129

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2009, 10:54:08 pm »
Karen, thanks for the PM.  I just now asked Victopet to friend me over at LJ.  I can't wait to start reading.  Thanks, again!  By the way, I'm Mariasmommy over at LJ.  :)

You will love In  Plain Sight !!!!

Are all chapter's up to date, posted on here?
I know the last one is.

i hope she updates again soon.

Last I talked to her, when I was in NYC, she had two chapters ready.  she posted one of them...... now I'm dying for the other one !!!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:30 pm »
You will love In  Plain Sight !!!!

Are all chapter's up to date, posted on here?
I know the last one is.

i hope she updates again soon.

Last I talked to her, when I was in NYC, she had two chapters ready.  she posted one of them...... now I'm dying for the other one !!!

I'm sure I'll love it.  I'm heading over there to LJ now to see if she's friended me.  I'll be back soon and let you know what I think.  Thanks for your PMs and your support.  I really appreciate it!  :-*

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2009, 05:09:12 am »
now I'm dying for the other one !!!

that´s how I feel too. Can´t wait!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2009, 02:51:09 pm »
I´ve re-read Victopet´s other story "Brokeback Redemption" today....it´s so good...
An of course I begged her to continue as I do everytime I re-read it ;D I´m sure she´s getting pretty sick of me :laugh:
That´s one story I´d be willing to pay the writer to finish

It´s a story that manages to be epic, angsty, beautiful, dirty and romatic all at once. I´m fascinated with the idea that they both one day will be released, and meet on the outside. I have no idea if they could ever work outside prison (they barely manage inside it) but it would be beautiful to see them try. And I love the storyline with Ennis getting off on pain, I think it´s really an interesting spin on canon.

retropian

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 06:46:04 pm »
All these positive comments and raves about this story recommended it to me. I have said before I'm not into AU!AU for some reason, but I decided to give this story a chance and am really really glad I did. I am enthralled and enchanted. I asked Vic to friend me a while ago and finally got around to printing out the 1st 20 chapters last night. And I am loving it so far.

Jack and Ennis are archetypal figures to me. BBM Jack being the dreamer longing and hoping for the sweet life, more open and self aware than BBM Ennis who is internally homophobic and too afraid and repressed to commit to the sweet life, but who is also down to earth, competent and hard working. I can see some of those characteristics brought over in IPS Jack and Ennis. IPS Jack is definitely more self aware the IPS Ennis. IPS Ennis is repressed because of his upbringing like BBM Ennis, but it was a different sort of upbringing altogether. Vic has done a great job creating a new sort of Yin/Yang between IPS Jack and Ennis. One thing I found off putting for me, was how mean IPS Jack has been so far to IPS Ennis. They're still in the gay bar, and Ennis just took his 1st shot of whiskey.(just so you know where I'm at in the story). I had a bit of a hard time with Jacks cruelty to Ennis. BBM Jack only had a great tenderness for Ennis and I found IPS Jack's seeming contempt for Ennis hard to take. But, I've concluded the reason for this is that IPS Jack is a little afraid of his own attraction to Ennis. Not sexual attraction, but Ennis is the embodiment of the possibility of another kind of life; the Sweet Life. I think what Jack is attracted to and frightened of is that Ennis is a calling to a higher more grounded way of living. IPS Jack is reacting out of cynicism because it's something he may have never acknowledged before that he wants, and he's taking it out on Ennis. This is a great story!

retropian

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2009, 04:17:45 am »
Well, I finished all 35 chapters. I can hardley wait for the next update! I left a nice coment oh vic's livejournal account, I hope she see's it. I am really engaged by this story. I am particularly taken with the characterization of Ennis as Amish. I think that is brilliant. I think a novel focused on an Amish man coming to terms with his sexuality would be a wonderful read. I also hope that unlike BBM and Witness, the two main characters find a way to be together.

Ian

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 01:20:00 am »
Well, I finished all 35 chapters. I can hardley wait for the next update! I left a nice coment oh vic's livejournal account, I hope she see's it. I am really engaged by this story. I am particularly taken with the characterization of Ennis as Amish. I think that is brilliant. I think a novel focused on an Amish man coming to terms with his sexuality would be a wonderful read. I also hope that unlike BBM and Witness, the two main characters find a way to be together.

Ian
Hi there Retropian. I just thought I might point you in the direction of another of Victopet´s stories; Brokeback Redemption.
It´s one of my absolute favorite fan fics. It´s darker than IPS, well-written and features Ennis as a man wrongly convicted for the murder of his wife. He meets Jack, another inmate, in prison. It´s sort of a mix between the TV-series Oz, and the movies The Shawshank Redemption and The Fugitive. I recomend it.

retropian

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2009, 04:16:53 am »
Hi there Retropian. I just thought I might point you in the direction of another of Victopet´s stories; Brokeback Redemption.
It´s one of my absolute favorite fan fics. It´s darker than IPS, well-written and features Ennis as a man wrongly convicted for the murder of his wife. He meets Jack, another inmate, in prison. It´s sort of a mix between the TV-series Oz, and the movies The Shawshank Redemption and The Fugitive. I recomend it.

Yes, I saw that on her lovejournal too. I'll check it out since I'm enjoying IPS so much. An Amish Ennis just slays me! ;D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2009, 08:10:34 pm »
Look where I visited this Sat  8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2009, 01:28:24 pm »
Look where I visited this Sat  8)

:D :D :D
That's great Monika! :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

retropian

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 05:48:52 am »
Recently, I was on her livejournal checking for updates (none unfortunatley), but did see she had commented that she has not abandoned IPS. I commented that I was glad to know she planned on continuing the story and she let me know she's still working on it, but it's slow going. So patience please! ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2009, 03:43:02 pm »
Recently, I was on her livejournal checking for updates (none unfortunatley), but did see she had commented that she has not abandoned IPS. I commented that I was glad to know she planned on continuing the story and she let me know she's still working on it, but it's slow going. So patience please! ;D

Good news!  Thanks, Ian  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2010, 10:47:31 pm »
Some great news from victopet:

http://victopet.livejournal.com/22414.html?view=1313934#t1313934

New Job Alert!
I changed jobs this week and there's much less stress and craziness. It looks like I'm going to finally, finally, finally have more time to write. I'm hoping to get back to IPS shortly -- if anyone is still interested.

Who are Jack and Ennis again?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 02:41:23 am »
Oh, that is great news. Thanks for the heads up Marie.  :)

Who are Jack and Ennis again?

:laugh:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 08:28:11 am »
oh yes!!!! I hope she writes more of IPS...and then more of Brokeback Redemption (I´m greedy, I know)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2010, 04:07:45 pm »
No - not an update yet! Sorry! :)

But Victopet writes that will post a new chapter this week.
I´m extremely excited about this. I must have read IPS at least ten times by now.
I love their first encounter, the way Jack teases Ennis with temptations during their time in the city, and later their growing bond during Jack´s stay at the Amish farm. There is a strong ying/yang theme here, I think. Cop!Jack and Amish!Ennis are totally different from one another, both of them extremes. But together, they both seem more balanced, more themselves.

I´m checking Victopet´s livejournal several times a day :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:47 pm »
No - not an update yet! Sorry! :)

But Victopet writes that will post a new chapter this week.
I´m extremely excited about this. I must have read IPS at least ten times by now.
I love their first encounter, the way Jack teases Ennis with temptations during their time in the city, and later their growing bond during Jack´s stay at the Amish farm. There is a strong ying/yang theme here, I think. Cop!Jack and Amish!Ennis are totally different from one another, both of them extremes. But together, they both seem more balanced, more themselves.

I´m checking Victopet´s livejournal several times a day :)

Great minds, Monika!  I was just about to post what Vic said most recently:

http://victopet.livejournal.com/22572.html 

Thanks!
Thank you so much for all your super-encouraging comments. I haven't been involved with the fandom as much as I would have liked this past year, so I'm psyched that so many people still want to read. I've spent some time this weekend re-immersing myself in Jack and Ennis's Amish world and writing, writing, writing. I'm aiming to post Chapter 36 of IPS this week and I hope to finally finish the story. Stay tuned and thanks for your continued support!

Vic

~~~~~
I'm excited about an update, too - I love what you said:  But together, they both seem more balanced, more themselves.  Yes, I think that's exactly right.  In fact, I think that's a key element for any J&E story.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
In Plain Sight by Victopet: chapter 36
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2010, 01:03:55 am »

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2010, 01:39:03 pm »
and chapter 37 is up!

I´m about to buy myself an Ereader. I find them a tad expensive, but the thought of always having access to fanfics and other stories is very very tempting!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2010, 10:40:18 pm »
and chapter 37 is up!

I´m about to buy myself an Ereader. I find them a tad expensive, but the thought of always having access to fanfics and other stories is very very tempting!

These two most recent chapters have been great, haven't they? And she mentioned in her A/N that she's starting on Chapter 38 this week - looks like she's on a roll into the home stretch.  I'm guessing the next chapter will bring a lot of danger/angst!

I don't have an e-reader, but I can see where they'd be great to have!

Does anyone have this fic in a word doc?  I did at one time but lost it when my old pc died.

Offline Lomoroto

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2010, 08:26:51 pm »
Resurrecting this thread: I wrote to the author to see if she will continue, been a long time now. Hope she will.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2010, 02:31:03 am »
Resurrecting this thread: I wrote to the author to see if she will continue, been a long time now. Hope she will.

she posted a chapter about 6 weeks or so ago but only to her journal.

Heathen

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2010, 03:05:50 am »
she posted a chapter about 6 weeks or so ago but only to her journal.
Thanks, R. Can´t beleive I´ve missed that. And: Yay!

Offline Lomoroto

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2010, 06:58:03 pm »
Wow, thanks, R/B, never would have thought to look there!   ;D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2010, 02:03:17 am »
Due to the recent update,  reread parts of the story again. Still as good as I remembered it would be.
It´s so...angsty. Exactly my cup of tea. I´m keeping my fingers crossed we´ll hear more from Victopet

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2010, 03:40:43 am »
send her an email-she seems to think people are no longer interested in the story. She couldn't be more wrong

Heathen