Author Topic: Dream Interpretation  (Read 942182 times)

injest

Re: Dream Interpretation
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2007, 10:06:26 pm »
Not to get all Scully Skeptical on your old friend Shirley, but if she knew particulars, what did she do to try to stop them?  After all they're airplanes.  They're on a schedule.  If she knows which one is going to crash and when, she could easily stop the flight. 

sure! she could call the plane company

*ring ring*

"Hi thanks for calling SuperCheap Air, how may I help you?"

"I dreamed one of your planes crashed. The 3:10 to Tuskeedoo!"

"YOU DID!!? We will cancel it right away! THANK YOU so much for caring enough to call"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(just kidding!!)

I don't think they would cancel the flight...

(Hi Del!! Haven't seen you in a while...we must be missing each other)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 12:07:18 am »
sure! she could call the plane company

*ring ring*

"I dreamed one of your planes crashed. The 3:10 to Tuskeedoo!"

"YOU DID!!? We will cancel it right away! THANK YOU so much for caring enough to call"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(just kidding!!)

I don't think they would cancel the flight...

;D

Nope, seriously the phone call would go more like:

*Ring ring*

"I've planted a bomb on Flight EZ3..."

Or she could literally drive onto the airfield at the proper time, shutting down the airport.

If you've ever read Stephen King's book The Dead Zone

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main character can see the future.  His talent has been proven beyond all doubt.  He ponders why he doesn't stop things from happening.  In one situation, he knows a teenage hangout is a fire trap.  Everyone is going there after the prom and he sees that a fire is going to break out and kill a bunch of celebrating teenagers.  What does he do?  He and other characters call the club to try to get them to shut down for the night.  ::)  Of course the owners refuse - it's a big money night!  Instead, the main character's friends plan their own party and invite as many people as possible to keep them from going to the club.

Inevitably, the night goes on, the club opens its doors...and a fire breaks out and the tragedy costs a lot of teenagers their lives.

The character realizes he could have done more than phone.  He could have gone there the night before the prom - when everyone is asleep - and burn the place down himself.  Or he could have driven his car into the club, destroying the doorway and foyer and the club would have to close down for repairs.  He realizes he could have done a lot of mundane things to stop things from happening that had nothing to do with dramatically announcing that he could see the future.

Same with Kerry's friend.  There are quite a few things Shirley could have done to stop or delay the flights.

I was just wondering - like the Stephen King character and like Penn and Teller - why she did not.

(Hi Del!! Haven't seen you in a while...we must be missing each other)

I've been here.  Miss you, too.  Have a Happy Turkey Day!

injest

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 12:17:32 am »
I always wonder how come phsyics don't just go and buy lotto tickets and retire?

and I am not dismissing dreams of the future...or of events. I remember being about nine? I think, and I woke up to find my father pacing thru the house saying "Uncle John is dead...laying out there in his front yard" over and over...we didn't have a phone and my mother persuaded him to go back to bed.

and it was true 

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 12:53:55 am »
I always wonder how come phsyics don't just go and buy lotto tickets and retire?

and I am not dismissing dreams of the future...or of events. I remember being about nine? I think, and I woke up to find my father pacing thru the house saying "Uncle John is dead...laying out there in his front yard" over and over...we didn't have a phone and my mother persuaded him to go back to bed.

and it was true 

I'm not denigrating people who have oracular dreams or visions.  In your father's case, he saw/felt Uncle John's death after the fact.  I just have my doubts about people who claim they see things ahead of the event and have specific information on a regular basis.

Like you said, if that's the case then they should buy a lotto ticket.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2007, 08:05:21 am »
Not to get all Scully Skeptical on your old friend Shirley, but if she knew particulars, what did she do to try to stop them?  After all they're airplanes.  They're on a schedule.  If she knows which one is going to crash and when, she could easily stop the flight. 

Haha!  :laugh: Shirley was good, but she wasn't that good lol!!!  ::)

When I say she knew particulars, I mean she would be able to say such things as (describing her dream), "it was a little plane" or "it was a big plane," and "it was somewhere in Asia" or "it was somewhere in Africa" and other such chilling particulars like "I heard many people screaming." Given the gazillions of flights every day, the sketchy particulars she came up with were invariable close to the mark. Alas, she could never provide the name of the airline or the flight number.  :-\

What I remember most about this was the look on Shirley's face. For her, it was a very real and horrifying experience.  :o

Shirley was one of those people who did not want to have this capacity. She would have gladly given it away to someone else if she could. She no longer works with me and we've lost touch, but I dare say she is still having her air crash dreams. I don't envy her.  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2007, 12:43:30 pm »
Haha!  :laugh: Shirley was good, but she wasn't that good lol!!!  ::)

When I say she knew particulars, I mean she would be able to say such things as (describing her dream), "it was a little plane" or "it was a big plane," and "it was somewhere in Asia" or "it was somewhere in Africa" and other such chilling particulars like "I heard many people screaming." Given the gazillions of flights every day, the sketchy particulars she came up with were invariable close to the mark. Alas, she could never provide the name of the airline or the flight number.  :-\

What I remember most about this was the look on Shirley's face. For her, it was a very real and horrifying experience.  :o

Shirley was one of those people who did not want to have this capacity. She would have gladly given it away to someone else if she could. She no longer works with me and we've lost touch, but I dare say she is still having her air crash dreams. I don't envy her.  :'(

OK, that clears that up.   ;D  I was just wondering.  One guy has been on several documentaries.  I'm not sure if he's legit or not, but he lived near the Chicago area and said he foresaw the crash of Flight 191 back in '79.  I believe I recall him saying he was actually in touch with the airline, since he recognized the markings on the plane and was trying to narrow down the flight with his vision - he had the dream every single night leading up to the crash - but failed to find the exact flight.

After the plane crashed, his dreams about it stopped.

injest

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2007, 12:46:41 pm »
I dreamed I was looking at buying a new house....someone told me about this house for sale...I went to look at it. It was GORGEOUS!! brand new...two story, decks, the whole nine yards.

and it was right in the middle of a trailer park. A bad seedy looking trailer park.

hmmm wonder what in the world that means...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2007, 01:08:15 pm »
I dreamed I was looking at buying a new house....someone told me about this house for sale...I went to look at it. It was GORGEOUS!! brand new...two story, decks, the whole nine yards.

and it was right in the middle of a trailer park. A bad seedy looking trailer park.

hmmm wonder what in the world that means...

Heh, I'll take a swipe -

You have Champagne dreams on a Beer budget?
There's a reason the house is for sale?   :laugh: :laugh:

I had another soap-opera dream - where I dream some big English "Dynasty" soap opera, full of beautiful rich people with problems plot, fully hashed out and literally as the plot is climaxing and one character charges back into the family gathering to kill another - a shot rings out, a window breaks, people scream, everyone looks to see who was shot -

My phone rings and wakes me up.  A friend is calling to wish me a happy Thanksgiving.   >:(

Tried to go back to the dream, but it was too late.

The timing of the call was uncanny.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2007, 01:10:15 pm »
I dream frequently and I usually get very vivid, intricate dreams with lots of twists and turns and complications.  If I could harness that part of my sub-conscious in the physical world, I could use it to write amazing novels and make a ton of money (or not..) but I am amazed (and sometimes frightened) when I wake up after such dreams.

One of my recent dreams -
I dreamt that I got into a fist fight with a bus driver and actually killed him and made off with his bus!  :o
When I woke up and told my girlfriend about it, she kinda freaked out and said, "You mean, you actually killed him?!" lol.. Scary, funny...

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2007, 05:09:03 pm »
I dream frequently and I usually get very vivid, intricate dreams with lots of twists and turns and complications.  If I could harness that part of my sub-conscious in the physical world, I could use it to write amazing novels and make a ton of money (or not..) but I am amazed (and sometimes frightened) when I wake up after such dreams.

One of my recent dreams -
I dreamt that I got into a fist fight with a bus driver and actually killed him and made off with his bus!  :o
When I woke up and told my girlfriend about it, she kinda freaked out and said, "You mean, you actually killed him?!" lol.. Scary, funny...

Hmmnn...  do you remember why you got in a fight with the bus driver?

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."