Author Topic: Dream Interpretation  (Read 941656 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Dream Interpretation
« Reply #710 on: January 26, 2020, 09:17:25 pm »
Oh, same. Totally. And agreed about buddy pictures.

The only sad thing about BCatSK is that Paul Newman was relatively unsexy in that role -- good as he was! In all of his other movies, he was the hottest cast member. But in BCatSK, that was played down. He did not get a fake-rape scene with Katharine Ross (hard to know how to feel about that scene, BTW, in the #metoo era, but at least it was fake). (FYI, in real life, as you probably know, Katharine Ross is married to Sam Elliott.)

Sorry, just a bit confused here. When you mention that Newman did not get a fake-rape scene with Katharine Ross, are you using that to describe the scene between Redford and Ross where he gestures with his gun to get her to undress, and ultimately she snaps at him for being late? (Not to argue the "fake-rape" point; I just want to be clear on what you're saying. It certainly sets up to look like he's going to rape her.)

Incidentally, I fell in love with Katharine Ross, too. I've always felt she was just about the prettiest woman I've ever seen in a movie. And I do mean pretty. I would never have called her glamorous or gorgeous, just pretty, and I mean that in the best possible girl-next-door kind of way (sorry for the cliche).

I don't know who got luckier, Sam Elliott, or Katharine Ross.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #711 on: January 26, 2020, 09:21:24 pm »
I also loved Alias Smith & Jones, the TV show inspired by that movie.

I remember that but only ever saw a few episodes, to the best of my recollection. It was probably on against something else that we watched in my family. Of course that was way before anybody even dreamed of any kind of home recording of TV shows or movies.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #712 on: January 27, 2020, 12:04:47 pm »

I don't know who got luckier, Sam Elliott, or Katharine Ross.

I never really liked her for some reason. Not in Butch Cassidy, not in The Graduate. I can't justify it, just one of those things. So her marriage to Sam Elliott increases her credibility with me.

Yes, that's the scene I meant. And good point, it's not quite a fake rape. Fake anticipation of an imminent rape.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #713 on: January 28, 2020, 12:41:37 pm »
I had a doozy last night, but I can remember only a small part of it. I was getting married! To a woman! My attendants were to be my best friend from high school, and another friend from high school whom I have not seen since probably within a year or two of our graduation; in the dream they both looked just as they did when we were in high school. Wedding guests were coming to the house I grew up in. I remember I was wearing a bathrobe and needed to get dressed for the ceremony, but that's about all I can remember.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #714 on: January 29, 2020, 09:14:59 am »
I was getting married! To a woman!

:o   :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #715 on: January 29, 2020, 10:28:10 am »
Last night I dreamed of death--at least, I'm pretty sure that's what it was about--and I'm rattled that it might be a portent of my own death, and I had this dream because it might be coming soon.

I was with a group of people--I don't know how many--and we were all being blindfolded in a way that you might call mummy-fashion, with strips of cloth being wound around our heads (I don't know who was doing the winding). Mine was loose enough that I could peek between the strips of cloth. I could see someone who had his back toward me, but even though I couldn't see his face, I knew it was my boyfriend, who died 20 years ago this last September.

Mummies certainly have to do with death.

I ain't jokin'.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:19:19 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #716 on: January 29, 2020, 11:13:23 am »
I'd like to discuss your marriage dream first. The way I interpret it is that you feel ready to take on something new in the New Year. Your "bride" may be a new calling or project. You can prepare for it by performing a ritual. Do you have a place in your home where you can sit and think for a while? Everyone should have a place like that, a personal home altar. Take some time to prepare yourself by having a nice bath or shower, putting on some comfortable clothing and maybe something special like a prayer shawl or scarf. Maybe something that belonged to an ancestor. Spend some unstructured time with your thoughts and visualize yourself from outside yourself, if you can. Try to go deeper into your dream. Look around and note the things and people around you. Try to uncover hints about the nature of the "bride" and go in the direction that your dream is taking you. Use your imagination and open your mind to new ideas and ways of looking at things. Take some small risks . . . it won't hurt anything because you are at home and safe. See if you have any super powers that will help you.

Be patient. Practice this on a weekly basis and you will be amazed at the progress you can make. (I'm actually speaking to everyone who reads this, not just Jeff.)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #717 on: January 29, 2020, 12:35:53 pm »
A few notes about your most recent dream, if you don't mind. Thinking about and writing about death is a time-honored tradition that extends from Woody Allen all the way back to the ancient Celts and Tibetans. It is an important milestone in one's life and there is nothing wrong with thinking or dreaming about it.

Balance is also important. If you find that you are thinking about death more often than you would like, perhaps so much that you are not enjoying other aspects of your life, it may be time to apply some intentionality. Think about whether there is something unresolved about your repeated returns to the topic, or whether you feel unprepared. Try to go deeper into the dreams and thoughts, rather than trying to escape from them or cover them over.

Many people, myself included, cling to previous stages of their lives too long and resist embracing new chapters. I get around this by thinking of myself as being in the teenaged years of the last third of my life. I get to be a mature woman, with all the advantages that come with it, and have another go at doing things for the first time. In thinking about my eventual death, I like to go out and turn my compost pile, where all the fruits and vegetables I have enjoyed are decaying and readying themselves to be fertilizer for the plants that are to grow in the future. I'll write more about this on my own blog, and turn back to reading about how you are looking at the stages of your life in your dreams and "woke" as they like to say.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #718 on: January 30, 2020, 12:29:27 am »
My own bias upfront: I don't believe in dreams as portent. I know there are lots of anecdotes and if it ever happens to me I might change my mind, but for now I'm a bit too empirical to embrace that possibility.

Otherwise, I'm totally with Lee. Her ideas were kind of like what I was saying in your blog. It seriously is never too late to change your attitude or your life.

I recently heard a song with lyrics about how fragile we are that "we live our lives with death over our shoulders." We do! But that doesn't mean we have to plan our activities as if death is going to come down at any moment.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #719 on: January 30, 2020, 10:32:00 am »
A few notes about your most recent dream, if you don't mind.

FRiend, I never mind reading your thoughts. I might disagree with them generally or particularly, but I never mind reading them.