Author Topic: Dream Interpretation  (Read 941298 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Dream Interpretation
« Reply #730 on: January 31, 2020, 01:15:17 pm »
What about this, then. By swaddling the heads in cloth, you and your companions are being prepared for a journey or something new, but you are blindfolded as though it were a kidnapping. However, you can see a little and are not as hampered as some of the others. You are looking forward to setting out on this journey and following your beloved. Indecision and ennui are kidnapping your life, and you seek an escape.

But, not so fast! You are bound to this existence by your commitment to your Mom to look after your father. These bounds may feel restrictive, and only allow you a glimpse of what awaits you someday. You may have very mixed feelings, longing for the feeling of freedom to live your life and to travel, etc. You must fortify yourself both mentally and physically. Use your dreams and creative visualization to find uses for your time that are regenerative. Using self-soothing techniques waste your energy and life force. Everything within you, waking and sleeping, is telling you that. Circle back and find a better way; that's what I think your dreams are telling you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #731 on: January 31, 2020, 05:22:49 pm »
Using self-soothing techniques waste your energy and life force.

I don't know what this means.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #732 on: January 31, 2020, 07:43:48 pm »
I just recently learned the difference between self-soothing and self-care myself. This blog post explains it very well: https://stacyrocklein.com/self-care-vs-self-soothing/ . When you practice self-care, you feel better afterwards. When you practice self-soothing, you feel the same or worse afterwards.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #733 on: January 31, 2020, 09:56:54 pm »
I just recently learned the difference between self-soothing and self-care myself. This blog post explains it very well: https://stacyrocklein.com/self-care-vs-self-soothing/ . When you practice self-care, you feel better afterwards. When you practice self-soothing, you feel the same or worse afterwards.

I haven't read it yet but I'm looking forward to it! I've definitely been doing self something-or-other (and no, I'm not referring to *that* self thing) and generally feel only slightly better. It usually involves me whispering to myself would-be conversations that would address the problem. But anyway, I think of self-care as, like, taking a bath or sauna or putting on lotion or getting a massage. None of those particularly interest me. I was even doing yoga once a week for at least a couple of years. But I may be using self-soothing incorrectly because whatever it is I'm doing I need an alternative. I might do the online therapy stuff I get through work -- three sessions for free.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #734 on: January 31, 2020, 10:14:27 pm »
The other thing is, when we discuss "changing your life" as if that would almost definitely mean or at least include travel, we're kind of limiting it. Travel is great -- attitude changing and enriching and enjoyable and all of those things. But most of us can only do it a few weeks a year at most. Plus, Jeff has done a fair amount of it, even if he can't for now. I'm lucky to get a trip or two a year, and in recent years I've been lucky enough to get most of them paid for by professional organizations. Recently, Brokies on either coast have invited me to visit, but I don't think I can anytime soon.

But anyway! I think long-term significant life changing would most often entail getting extremely involved in another time-consuming social or educational thing. Like Lee's permaculture, for example. Obviously that particular thing probably wouldn't work for you, Jeff, but I mean something like that -- where you're really invested, engaged, interested, meeting new people, have a steady schedule of activities, etc. I'm not sure what it would be for you, but I feel like it should be something you're fairly deeply engaged in.

A coworker wanted to learn French because her daughter was living in Paris. So she started taking classes and she organized a French club at work. I was in it, but some of the members had lived in France whereas my French is rusty high-school level. I felt like I needed subtitles. So that probably wouldn't be the best thing for me -- although I will say going to the sessions was like taking my brain to the gym and it was interesting to see my coworker get increasingly fluent as weeks went on). She made friends in the French learning/speaking community. has since retired, but I bet she's still doing French stuff. And last time I saw her, a year or two after she retired, she looked great: happy, healthy, vibrant.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #735 on: February 01, 2020, 05:08:53 pm »
Brilliant, Chuck! It's up to Jeff to see if it feels like a good fit, of course, but this sounds really plausible to me.

Thank you!

Nah, you might be depressing others, but not me.

Chuck's is a very interesting interpretation, but I feel it doesn't fit the reality of my life; therefore, it's not a good fit.

and here comes Jeff, to piss all over my moment of brilliance!   ;)   :laugh:

to be honest, I have no idea where that interpretation came from, it just popped into my head.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #736 on: February 01, 2020, 08:27:54 pm »
We can discuss these ideas more on the "how to beat stress" topic, but, for now, let's circle back to dream interpretation. I think that if you pay close attention to your dreams, they can provide clues to how you can improve your waking life. After all, everyone from Disney to Steven Spielberg talks about "making your dreams come true." Those who are blessed with a rich dream life can mine its treasures for self-knowledge, awareness, and self actualization.

And if you don't have a rich dream life, you can take steps to attain one. Begin by keeping a notepad and pen by your bed, a convenient night light, etc. Also, place something by your bedside to remind yourself to review your dream as soon as you wake up. All but the most vivid dreams fade within a few minutes. You might want to plan to spend five minutes in bed after you wake up just reflecting, so set your sleep app accordingly.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #737 on: February 02, 2020, 12:17:08 pm »
Agreed. Although I don't believe in dreams as premonitions or portent, I do believe they can signal how your subconscious feels about something. And letting those subconscious thoughts at least partially shape your conscious choices and actions could lead to improvements in your life.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #738 on: February 07, 2020, 09:57:48 am »
For more than 30 years, I've kept my credit cards, ATM card, driver's license, and so forth in a separate wallet from my cash. My hope/plan has always been that if I were ever robbed, I could hand over the cash from my other wallet but manage to keep safe all those cards that it's so difficult to replace. Last night I dreamed I lost that wallet. Then I found the wallet, but the cards were all missing from the plastic insert with the sleeves that hold the cards.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #739 on: February 07, 2020, 11:12:54 am »
For more than 30 years, I've kept my credit cards, ATM card, driver's license, and so forth in a separate wallet from my cash. My hope/plan has always been that if I were ever robbed, I could hand over the cash from my other wallet but manage to keep safe all those cards that it's so difficult to replace. Last night I dreamed I lost that wallet. Then I found the wallet, but the cards were all missing from the plastic insert with the sleeves that hold the cards.

This also hints at the possibility of life change, or so it seems to me. What do you think?