Author Topic: TOTW 10/07: What's so funny, huh?  (Read 12240 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: TOTW 10/07: What's so funny, huh?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 12:33:15 pm »
I always get tickled when after Ennis gets thrown off the horse, and Jack is waitin' for him back at camp, when he hears Ennis comin' he gets a little smirk on his face, 'cause he's gonna razz him about supper not bein' ready.  (Even though he was truly worried about where Ennis was.)

You think?  I mean, he's definitely being melodramatic and making a bigger deal of it than it deserves.  But I didn't notice a smirk or anything . . .

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 12:40:11 pm »
You think?  I mean, he's definitely being melodramatic and making a bigger deal of it than it deserves.  But I didn't notice a smirk or anything . . .

Oh yeah it's real subtle, you got to look to see it.  I missed it the first few times.  He's smiling/smirking as he sets the whiskey bottle down and is about to get up.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 12:47:35 pm »
"The Pentecost.....I don't know what the Pentecost means"

There's something about this line and the way Jack says it that strikes me as funny for some reason.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 01:03:12 pm »
"Water-walking JEE-zuz, take me uh-waaaay!"
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 01:23:25 pm »
This is my favorite line in the movie. I have it on a bumper sticker on my car and I still smile whenever I think about it. (I'm smiling right now   ;D )

That's a great line to put on a bumper sticker. Where can I get one?  :)

(BBM Trivia: Ang Lee's direction to the Basque at the bridge, in regards to the "Too early in the summer..." line, was simply to look him in the eye and say, very quietly, "You know you're funny.")

I didn't know this Lauren, thanks. *sigh* you know it's trivia like these that really give you an insight in the kind of director Ang Lee really is and how he seems to be able to bring out such great performances from the actors. The basque was great and very funny.

I want the director's commentary dvd now!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 01:59:31 pm »
I didn't know this Lauren, thanks. *sigh* you know it's trivia like these that really give you an insight in the kind of director Ang Lee really is and how he seems to be able to bring out such great performances from the actors. The basque was great and very funny.

I want the director's commentary dvd now!

I didn't know that either. I agree with Fabienne.

Two of my fav funny lines:

"Tent don't look right."  :laugh:

"Here I am." spoken by Aguirre. I mentioned this before somewhere, I don't know why exactly this is so funny. There's something about Aguirre's tone. The remarkable thing is, that the people who do the dubbing must have noticed it, too. It's the same in the German version: "Hier bin ich." delivered in the exact same manner as Randy Quaid did it.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 02:05:07 pm »
'You'll run the sheep off again, if you don't quiet down'

:laugh:  :laugh:

Funny!Ennis really cracks me up.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 05:16:51 pm »
Aguirre gets funnier and funnier to me.  My favorite is in his first scene: he stops talking, picks up the phone and looks at J + E like, "WTF are you still doing here?"

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 05:46:11 pm »
That's a great line to put on a bumper sticker. Where can I get one? 

There are many online places to buy them. I happened to use MakeStickers.com because their website was easy to move around on and they had the template that would let me do exactly what I wanted to do. There are many styles to choose from, it was cheap (I think it was $8.00 for both of mine - 2 different ones - "I was just sendin' up a prayer of thanks" is on the other one but I've never put that one on my car.)  It has been through 2 Maine summers and a Maine winter and it still looks as good as it did when I first got it. I recommend them highly.

I've been thinking about doing another one that just has the one line on it, and then putting Ennis Del Mar under it, as the author, because people comment on it a lot but I don't think they have a clue what it means. At least not what it means to me! The one I have now has Brokeaholic on the top line, really big, and then the line from the movie under it in smaller letters, with a thin black line in between them. I think it was called a "newspaper headline" style, or something like that. Anyway, it was exactly what I wanted so I was happy to find it.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 06:47:26 pm »
Ennis looks at Jack and says, "Whut?"
Jack says "That's more words than you've spoke in the past two weeks."
Ennis says, "Hell, that's the most I've spoke in a year."

I think this is a lighthearted part of the movie and to me it marked a turning point in the relationship between Ennis and Jack.