Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8846161 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16120 on: May 27, 2019, 03:47:15 pm »
In 2017 I rented a car in Alaska and fortunately was warned that it sensed the opener in my pocket. It is always my habit to test the door is locked before I leave and, of course, that just opened the door again, very frustrating. You just pressed a button to start the engine.  In the old days, I kept a spare key in my wallet. Not so necessary now as it is almost impossible to lock the key inside the car but the key door opener is so thick, even the spare, so cannot be kept in my wallet.  I had a lucky escape last Friday.  I went by myself to plan a walk for next week in a bird sanctuary. There is a donation box at the entry. When I returned I was surprised to see a lady standing right at my car (I had spoken to her during the walk, she was photographing birds) She was writing a note as she had found my key lying beside the donation box. I was 50 km from home, very few people around. If I had checked my pocket and realised the key was missing, I would have gone into a panic, so thankful she saw it.
I have a manual. My sister tried to talk me out of it when I bought the car in 2010 and was not happy early this year when she came over to stay for my hernia operation. I could not drive for a week and she had not driven a manual for over 20 years. However she had more trouble with the windscreen wipers/blinkers being on the opposite side.
When I moved to NZ I was not pleased that people could use cell phones in cars, however they banned them (as in Australia for many many years) not long after I moved here.  No problem for me, I rarely even turn my phone on, it is only for emergencies.
I have only had one flat tyre in the last 10 years. I was in the North Island and dressed for dinner and it was raining so I called the AA. The only other time I have called the AA was for a flat battery (surprised it lasted 8 years)and I was at home, fortunately only going shopping so not in a hurry. I guess I would have had to call them last Friday if I had not found my key. I do not need insurance with my AA membership.
I would like my next car to be electric but they are so expensive to buy. My car is almost 10 years old so will probably start to need money for repairs.
Petrol here is about NZ$2.35 per litre which is NZ$8.90 per gallon or US$5.85 per gallon. However I only fill up my car about once per month (about 35 litres) and get discounts for AA membership (10 cents), my monthly ISP payment (10 cents) and even my hairdresser (3 cents).  My Ford Fiesta is very economical and I rarely drive more than 20 km from home and use the bus where possible. I usually take 3 passengers when we go hiking on Tuesdays.  It has seat belts for another person in the back but that is very squashed so avoided. People seem to rush to get in my car, not sure if because it is comfortable, my driving is safe or my personality  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #16121 on: May 27, 2019, 04:01:37 pm »
No, I don't have a manual transmission, she is automatic.   I do know how to drive a stick, however.  Two of the trucks I've owned in the past were stick-shift.

Oh! I thought when you mentioned pressing the clutch ...  ???

The donuts look delish!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16122 on: May 27, 2019, 04:22:12 pm »
I do not feel in control when driving an automatic. The car (Honda Accord) I drove in Alaska in 2017 (just 3 days and only to the Denali park entry where you board buses) was automatic as was the car (small Nissan) I had for one day in Jasper, Canada and i drove an automatic in Australia (Hyundai Accent) last year for 10 days. The car I had in the Cotswolds UK for 3 days last August (BMW) was a manual.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16123 on: May 27, 2019, 04:34:34 pm »
Congratulations on the new wheels, Chuck! Is there a road trip in your near future?

I'm taking my Crimson Chariot on a road trip at the end of June. First west into the mountains, then up Utah, swinging by Moab way, then a swing through the Tetons and Yellowstone, and across to Ten Sleep, the rodeo on the Fourth of July and the ceremony for John Trudell on the next day. Then, east to Buffalo and the Occidental Hotel and back to Denver. I'm sure my trusty car will be up for it!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16124 on: May 28, 2019, 09:52:11 am »
Wow, Chuck!  Sabrina is a real beauty.  Safe and happy driving!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16125 on: May 28, 2019, 09:29:38 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Oh, we have thunder and lightning here tonight in NJ!!!  Just what I like.  I have the window open by the computer table, and I can hear the rain pounding down, and watch the flashing lightning.

Back to work today, and I'm already ready for another day off.  :laugh:  I have June 11th off, for a dentist appointment.  Then we have July 4th off.  That day is a Thursday, and I think a lot of our clients will close on Friday as well, so it will be a SLOW day in the office.

I do not feel in control when driving an automatic. The car (Honda Accord) I drove in Alaska in 2017 (just 3 days and only to the Denali park entry where you board buses) was automatic as was the car (small Nissan) I had for one day in Jasper, Canada and i drove an automatic in Australia (Hyundai Accent) last year for 10 days. The car I had in the Cotswolds UK for 3 days last August (BMW) was a manual.

It's interesting that you would feel that way, Brian.  Most people here in the US would prefer automatic instead of manual.  I am grateful that I know how to drive both.  It's been many years since I've had to use a manual, but I do know how.

Congratulations on the new wheels, Chuck! Is there a road trip in your near future?

I'm taking my Crimson Chariot on a road trip at the end of June. First west into the mountains, then up Utah, swinging by Moab way, then a swing through the Tetons and Yellowstone, and across to Ten Sleep, the rodeo on the Fourth of July and the ceremony for John Trudell on the next day. Then, east to Buffalo and the Occidental Hotel and back to Denver. I'm sure my trusty car will be up for it!!

No, no road trips in the near future.   However, who knows what the next few years may bring?

Wow, Chuck!  Sabrina is a real beauty.  Safe and happy driving!

Thanks so much, BBP!!!  :-*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16126 on: May 31, 2019, 10:47:47 pm »
Then, east to Buffalo and the Occidental Hotel and back to Denver. I'm sure my trusty car will be up for it!!

I want to go back to Buffalo. I want to stay at the Occidental Cafe and have a meal at the Busy Bee Cafe, if it's still there.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16127 on: May 31, 2019, 10:54:33 pm »
I never change my own tires.

You just don't, or you don't know how?

My father would not have let me out on the road if I couldn't change a tire myself. I even used to put on my own snow tires. He made sure I knew how to check and add oil and wiper fluid and water and/or antifreeze to the radiator.

One thing he did not teach me, or think to teach me, was to check and add water to the battery--you had to do that back in them days. At least when the battery went dead once because it had gone dry, he couldn't blame me for it because he never told me I had to do that!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16128 on: June 01, 2019, 09:16:40 am »
You just don't, or you don't know how?

I know how, but I've never done it and have never had to.

The closest I came to having to was when I got a flat at night (maybe around 8 or so? it was dark, anyway) on a freeway in an area not near commercial development but near some houses. I jumped a fence, knocked on the door of a house and asked the guy inside for help. He changed it! There are some advantages to being a woman -- I think a man would have a harder time doing this. (On the other hand, a woman is in somewhat more danger knocking on a stranger's door.)

Now, in the era of mobile phones and roadside assistance, I wouldn't even need to do that unless I was in the middle of nowhere with no service.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16129 on: June 01, 2019, 04:15:24 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Oh, the it feels good to be in the weekend!

Work this coming week will be a little crazy.  It's "Santander Week", and upper management is doing things for the employees to show their appreciation. 

One day next week is a donut delivery for breakfast.  Some locations will have a Spa Day where masseuses will come in.  On Monday, our department is having a pizza luncheon.  On Friday I had to call a local place and order 14 pizzas (7 kinds, two of each) and a large salad, enough to serve 49 people.  I didn't order any soda, because these places usually send  2 liter bottles, which are never finished, and then they go flat and have to be thrown away.  So today I went and got 4 cases of varieties of Coke, and two cases of water.  I can expense this through the bank and get my money back.

Of course, this also means that I must get to work early on Monday, and make sure the conference room is set up for the pizza delivery and lunch.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!