Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8736144 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16130 on: June 01, 2019, 04:17:02 pm »
My father would not have let me out on the road if I couldn't change a tire myself. I even used to put on my own snow tires. He made sure I knew how to check and add oil and wiper fluid and water and/or antifreeze to the radiator.

One thing he did not teach me, or think to teach me, was to check and add water to the battery--you had to do that back in them days. At least when the battery went dead once because it had gone dry, he couldn't blame me for it because he never told me I had to do that!  :laugh:

It was the same for me.  My dad taught me how to do all that, and I remember adding water to the battery of my first car too.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16131 on: June 01, 2019, 05:45:25 pm »
I had forgotten about checking water in battery. I am afraid I never check anything these days. I might check the oil before going on a long drive but it is over 15 months since I drove more than 100 km away from home. I had to fill the windscreen washers recently. There is a cat that sleeps on my car and its paw marks are all over the windscreen each morning. Luckily guns are restricted here or it would be dead.
My car needs a WOF (Warrant of Fitness) in November and I get a full service in February. Apparently it was first registered in Nov 2009 and I bought it from the dealer in Feb 2010. Except for a new battery last year, I have not had any major repairs but expect that will not last much longer. Cars need so little servicing now compared to when I first owned a car (was a 21st birthday present) in 1965 (a 1958 Holden all cars since I have bought brand new).
In those days the road side service would not change a tyre for a male but thankfully that has changed. I have had one flat tyre on my present car, I was in the North Island, dressed to go out for dinner and it was raining so called AA. Like most new cars, the spare is not supposed to be used for any great distance and not above 80kph so I had to waste holiday time the next day having the tyre repaired. I have bought 2 complete new sets of tyres in the 9 years.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16132 on: June 01, 2019, 08:44:17 pm »
One thing that irks me is that when you have a problem with a tyre, they want you to buy 4 new tyres. What a waste!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

« Reply #16133 on: June 02, 2019, 12:12:33 am »
One thing that irks me is that when you have a problem with a tyre, they want you to buy 4 new tyres. What a waste!
Not sure who ' they' are. Generally I find that there are deals to buy 3 and get the fourth free. On previous cars I would have the tyres rotated when I had a service but that seems not to be done now that the spare cannot be used in the rotation. I never have a 'problem' just that they show me that usually 2 (front?) are getting down towards the legal limit. When I replaced those 2, it was only a year before the other 2 needed replacing and I did not get the 4th tyre free so next time I bought 4 at once.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16134 on: June 06, 2019, 09:03:34 am »
I know how, but I've never done it and have never had to.

The closest I came to having to was when I got a flat at night (maybe around 8 or so? it was dark, anyway) on a freeway in an area not near commercial development but near some houses. I jumped a fence, knocked on the door of a house and asked the guy inside for help. He changed it! There are some advantages to being a woman -- I think a man would have a harder time doing this. (On the other hand, a woman is in somewhat more danger knocking on a stranger's door.)

Now, in the era of mobile phones and roadside assistance, I wouldn't even need to do that unless I was in the middle of nowhere with no service.

Nice to know there are still a few Good Samaritans out there. But I guess maybe you did take a chance. If I had a daughter, I wouldn't recommend it.

Do you belong to AAA? They've provided roadside assistance to members for, like, forever. It's probably even easier to connect with help now in the age of smart phones (or even flip phones  ;D ). I once had a situation where my car battery went dead because I didn't notice that when a passenger got out, somehow he bumped the switch on the dome light, so the light stayed on after the door was closed. AAA came out and gave me a jump, even though the car was in a parking garage.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:46:55 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16135 on: June 06, 2019, 09:47:51 am »
Do you belong to AAA? They've provided roadside assistance to members for, like, forever. It's probably even easier to connect with help now in the age of smart phones (or even flip phones  ;D ) I once had a situation where my car battery went dead because I didn't notice that when a passenger got out, somehow he bumped the switch on the dome light, so the light stayed on after the door was closed. AAA came out and gave me a jump, even though the car was in a parking garage.

I've been a member of AAA for years and used it countless times. These days, to save money I don't renew my membership when it expires -- I just call when I have car trouble, renew it on the spot and get service right away.

But also, my car insurance comes with roadside assistance. AAA has a limit on how many calls you can make during a given year and I've come close to or past that limit. I don't know if my insurance program has a limit or not, but I use them over AAA and have let my son, whose car is in bad shape, use the AAA because his insurance policy doesn't have it.

I also have gotten amazing hotel deals with my AAA discount. When Priceline and Hotwire came along, though, I switched to those services because their hotel deals were even more amazing. For a while there I was getting really nice rooms for $50-$75/night. I don't think the deals nowadays are as good as they used to be. My latest travel trick is to book a flight and hotel package. I haven't done this for a while (my last five trips were all free for work reasons -- best discount of all!), but I got a great deal on a French Quarter hotel room in NOLA with a flight/hotel package. And when I took my sons to Paris about six years ago, we got a three-day side trip to Barcelona with two nice hotel rooms and flight to Paris for free -- well, for the same price it would have cost us just to fly to Paris and back. A travel agent I know taught me that trick.

Offline brianr

« Reply #16136 on: June 06, 2019, 03:11:00 pm »
I belong to NZAA. It is only $39.50 per year as they carried over the membership from Australia so I have been a member for over 50 years. I get 6 cents per litre off petrol at BP and they send me emails and give me 10c on set days (usually about once per week but I rarely fill up more than once per month). I have had discounts when renting cars from Thrifty. They have insurance schemes as well but I have found them not as good as others. I have used the card for a discount when buying tyres. Their accommodation discounts tend to be with hotels above my usual level.
I have only used them 3 times in the 9 years I have lived in NZ. A few months after arriving with my new car I parked with the front wheels on too hard a lock and they would not budge. He came and wrenched the steering wheel round which I was not game to do. I have done that occasionally since. I had a flat tyre when travelling  on the North Island which I have described before (raining, in my good clothes, headed for dinner). And they came when my battery finally went flat after 8 years, gave me a discount on the new battery. My father (who spent all his spare hours working on cars, I was a big disappointment to him) insisted I join when I got my first car in 1965. In those days they were more necessary as cars were less reliable and I am complete lost mechanically. but I still would not be without my membership. It is one reason I carry my cellphone, I rarely actually use it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16137 on: June 08, 2019, 03:02:11 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I thought that I was going to have a few chores to get done today, but I managed to get them done during the week after work, so today is not as busy.  I do need to get laundry done today, as I won't be able to do it tomorrow.

On Sunday, the bowling league that I'm a member of is having their season end banquet.  One of the things they do to raise money for the league is they take all the teams, and put them into pairs.

Once they're all paired up, each pair comes up with a theme for a basket.  This season, there will be nine baskets in total.  They'll all be lined up on a table, and will be raffled off.  My team and the other team opted to go with a theme of Classic Candy.

I just finished putting the basket together.

We have Whirly Pops, Astro Pops, Swirl Pops, Pixy Stix, Haribo Berries, Zero Bar, Cups of Gold, candy Cigarettes, Sugar Daddies, Fun Dip, original Red Vines, grape Red Vines, Sno-Caps, Bottle Caps, Dubble Bubble, Charms Sours, Nik L Nips, and assorted Pop Rocks.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16138 on: June 11, 2019, 11:07:59 am »
Wow, so many different ways to spin the sugar!!

Re: your winged man, it reminds me of a scene in Rocketman where Elton leaves the concert at Madison Square Gardens and goes to the rehab facility, still dressed in his performance costume!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16139 on: June 11, 2019, 05:38:25 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I have the day off work today, as I needed to get my teeth cleaned.  Also, by chance, I had some plumbing issues in the bathroom (minor stuff) and when I called the super, he said the plumber will be in this location tomorrow, so he'll send  him up to have a look at the problems.  I used the afternoon to clean the bathroom, so it's presentable for the plumber.

;D

Other than that, not much going on here.  It's Father's Day weekend this weekend, so I'm meeting the family for a late lunch, early supper on Saturday, so I need to go out and get cards for my dad, my brother and Trent's dad.

Since my brother, s-i-l, niece, Derek and Trent haven't seen the new car yet, I'll  drive the family up, and let them see Sabrina.  I'll still do my laundry on Sunday, so that way I can see dad on Father's Day.