Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8735089 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16180 on: August 03, 2019, 06:04:43 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

;D

Next week  I'm on "stay-cation", and I'm looking forward to it!  :)  I just plan to relax and get some cleaning done around the apartment.

Luckily, things were slow at work this week, and I was able to get caught up on everything that needed to be done, leaving nothing for my coworkers to have to finish.  I was even able to leave work on time on Friday.  Usually the day before I leave, I have to stay later to make  sure everything is done.  Not this time.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16181 on: August 04, 2019, 08:03:03 pm »
Enjoy your week away from your job.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16182 on: August 05, 2019, 10:45:27 am »
Keep us posted on your cleaning accomplishments. They're very inspirational.

My house is on the market right now so I have to keep it pretty meticulously clean at all times. I kind of like it!

I did hire a maid to do the initial deep cleaning, but I can probably handle it from here. It would actually be really easy if I lived alone rather than with a sloppy son. (I wasn't really a neatnik either at his age.) Who knew tidiness can be relatively easy? (She says, knowing she has a big basket tucked away full of New Yorkers, some dating back into early 2018.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16183 on: August 05, 2019, 12:19:26 pm »
I don't worry about sodium, and I'm a saltaholic and a soysauceaholic. My blood pressure has stayed good so far ...

With the strong history of hypertension in my family, I need to.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16184 on: August 05, 2019, 01:43:26 pm »
Probably for the best in any case, or at least can't hurt. But if you're used to salt food tastes bland without it. I'm sure after a while you'd get used to it, though.

I once stayed with some friends where the husband was a truly great cook. Only problem: he either didn't salt the food at all or just lightly. They didn't keep S&P shakers on the table, and it seemed rude to ask back then (nowadays when that happens, I just go ahead and ask).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16185 on: August 05, 2019, 02:08:44 pm »
Probably for the best in any case, or at least can't hurt. But if you're used to salt food tastes bland without it. I'm sure after a while you'd get used to it, though.

Actually, I've surprised myself at how quickly I've adapted. Take pretzels, for example. As counterintuitive as it may seem, pretzels without salt on top aren't that bad. The variety my dad is able to buy is really quite good. The variety I can get in my supermarket isn't that great, not as good as the pretzel's Dad gets, but not that bad, either.

Morton's Salt Substitute isn't that bad, either. As good as actual salt? No, but I'm not feeling in any way deprived, nor am I even missing the real thing.

And low-sodium ketchup on scrambled eggs is just as good as salt and pepper.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16186 on: August 06, 2019, 02:59:25 am »
I haven't cooked with salt ( I do put in a small pinch when boiling pasta) nor have a salt shaker on the table for probably over 20 years, when I was first diagnosed with hypertension. I must admit I do prefer it when (like just now - about every 2nd week) I buy fish 'n chips at our local shop rather than when I cook it at home myself. I use pepper a lot more now. I am now suppose to give up sugar (I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic) as well and that was hard but no longer put it in my coffee (3- 4 cups per day) nor on my breakfast cereal and I buy a no added sugar cereal. I do however eat a lot of cakes and pastries and a crepe with lemon and (brown) sugar is my big treat at the Farmers market on Saturday morning.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16187 on: August 06, 2019, 08:44:00 am »
I am now suppose to give up sugar (I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic) as well and that was hard but no longer put it in my coffee (3- 4 cups per day) nor on my breakfast cereal and I buy a no added sugar cereal. I do however eat a lot of cakes and pastries and a crepe with lemon and (brown) sugar is my big treat at the Farmers market on Saturday morning.

I have given up sugar in the past and found it pretty easy after the first week or two -- I just lost my taste for it. Once I start eating it again, the sweet tooth comes back, but weaker than it used to be.

I've never used it in coffee, I've long preferred sugar-free breakfast cereals. I like cakes and pastries, but even those aren't the temptation they used to be. When I eat in a restaurant, I never even look at the dessert menu -- not out of restraint or self-discipline, but because I'm just not that interested.

However, when people bring cookies and donuts, etc., into work I have trouble passing by them all day without trying some. Lucky I don't work in Chuck's office!  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16188 on: August 06, 2019, 04:25:08 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Tuesday everyone!!!

;D

Second day of "stay-cation" and I'm being productive.  I've cleaned all the surfaces in the kitchen, and dusted the CD racks and the dressers and picture frames in my bedroom.  I've also pulled the windows down and cleaned  the windows in my bedroom.  CDs that were not in place  (ex. just laying on the shelves, not in alphabetical order) are now in order.

Next project is to get everything off the shelves in the living room, dust the items and the shelves, and put everything back.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16189 on: August 06, 2019, 04:37:43 pm »
Keep us posted on your cleaning accomplishments. They're very inspirational.

My house is on the market right now so I have to keep it pretty meticulously clean at all times. I kind of like it!

I always seem to be cleaning this place lightly.  It started this summer when I was having issues with my toilet and the yellow-jackets getting in.  I wasn't sure when the plumber and the exterminator were coming, so I had to keep everything tidy.

On top of that, I've often said that I didn't want to be the person who moved into the building, got sloppy, and caused pests to come in.

Lastly, while my apartment is not cluttered, I do have a lot of knick-knacks around, and the more frequently I do light cleaning, it minimizes the dust that can collect in the place.

They are really, really good. They probably also have about a week's worth of sodium in one sandwich.  :-\

I don't worry about sodium, and I'm a saltaholic and a soysauceaholic. My blood pressure has stayed good so far ...

With the strong history of hypertension in my family, I need to.

Actually, I've surprised myself at how quickly I've adapted. Take pretzels, for example. As counterintuitive as it may seem, pretzels without salt on top aren't that bad. The variety my dad is able to buy is really quite good. The variety I can get in my supermarket isn't that great, not as good as the pretzel's Dad gets, but not that bad, either.

Morton's Salt Substitute isn't that bad, either. As good as actual salt? No, but I'm not feeling in any way deprived, nor am I even missing the real thing.

And low-sodium ketchup on scrambled eggs is just as good as salt and pepper.

I have to say, I don't use salt very often.  I do enjoy salty pretzels, so that is the one time I have it.   Even for snacks, I enjoy dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts and sunflower seeds, and my popcorn is lightly salted.

I haven't cooked with salt ( I do put in a small pinch when boiling pasta) nor have a salt shaker on the table for probably over 20 years, when I was first diagnosed with hypertension. I must admit I do prefer it when (like just now - about every 2nd week) I buy fish 'n chips at our local shop rather than when I cook it at home myself. I use pepper a lot more now. I am now suppose to give up sugar (I have been diagnosed pre-diabetic) as well and that was hard but no longer put it in my coffee (3- 4 cups per day) nor on my breakfast cereal and I buy a no added sugar cereal. I do however eat a lot of cakes and pastries and a crepe with lemon and (brown) sugar is my big treat at the Farmers market on Saturday morning.

I have given up sugar in the past and found it pretty easy after the first week or two -- I just lost my taste for it. Once I start eating it again, the sweet tooth comes back, but weaker than it used to be.

I've never used it in coffee, I've long preferred sugar-free breakfast cereals. I like cakes and pastries, but even those aren't the temptation they used to be. When I eat in a restaurant, I never even look at the dessert menu -- not out of restraint or self-discipline, but because I'm just not that interested.

However, when people bring cookies and donuts, etc., into work I have trouble passing by them all day without trying some. Lucky I don't work in Chuck's office!  :laugh:

I don't have sugar too often either.  Diabetes runs in my family, so I'm always watching that.  I don't drink coffee, and in the mornings I drink a bottle of unsweetened, steeped tea.  I've also cut out all soda and diet soda, I now drink unsweetened, lightly flavored seltzer.

The last time I had a "wellness check" with the doctor, my blood pressure was down, and my sugar levels were fine.   I'll be making another appointment in December, and since I've lost weight since then, I'd like to see the numbers even smaller.