Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8741747 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16270 on: November 10, 2019, 12:09:34 am »
I do not know what you would call my last 3 nights (4 days). I do not work but took a driving and hiking trip across to the other side of the South Island. I booked 2 weeks ago and then was worried as the forecast was not good but too late to cancel my motel bookings. In total I drove just over 1000km. Thursday was fine, almost hot, and I drove 346 km to a little village called Makarora at the beginning of the Haast Pass which is the lowest pass across the Southern Alps. Nice views from the motel of the snow capped mountains. I have vague memories of camping there in January 1967, just one year after the road was built over the pass. It poured rain during the night but thankfully Friday was fine and I was able to slowly cross the pass. While it was my 4th crossing, on previous times I only stopped for the shortest viewpoints. This time I stopped at 9 places and hiked about 9 km in total. The longest was at the top of the pass (562 metres) where I hiked up another 120 metres to a viewpoint.  At least this one only had 2 couples on the track unlike some of the other short ones to falls where the parking areas were full of campervans.  And it is only the beginning of the tourist season. I reached the west coast after driving 86 km that day and, as it was only just after 2pm, I drove another 50kms south as far as the road goes on the west coast to Jacksons Bay. I had never been there. I had coffee in a converted railway carriage and took another 2.5 km walk to a wild coastal bay just a bit further south. There are many other walks but some are multi day tramps, beyond me now.
I returned 35km to another motel which was very nice but 15km from nearest town (if you can call it a town, population 250).
Again it poured all night but the west coast is known for some of the highest rainfall figures in the world. Just as well I did all the walks on the way over as it rained all the way back across the Pass, so I drove 190km with just one stop for coffee at the little place I had stayed Thursday night. Back on the other side of the alps it was at first sunny then showers in the late afternoon. I could have driven further but had booked my final motel so checked in at 2.30pm.
When I went out for dinner (I cooked all my other meals on the trip), I was dismayed to see the showers had left reddish brown spots all over the car. It is dust from Australia 2000km away where they are having very bad fires. I saw the street where I lived for 28 years was in the news and emailed my neighbours of that time. They replied that the fire had been brought under control at 3am that morning in what was my back yard. Over the day and night there have been over 150 houses lost and at least 3 people have died. I am so glad I left, even if we do sometimes get sick of the rain here in NZ.
Again it rained all night (the dust has gone) and all the way on my 314km drive today so again I only stopped once for coffee and was home just after 1.30pm. Altogether I drove just over 1000 km and glad I got to do all the walks I planned even if on just the one day rather than spread over 2.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16271 on: November 11, 2019, 11:52:13 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

How is everyone doing??

Today is Veteran's Day in the US, a bank holiday, so I am off work today, an extra day on my 'stay-cation'.

I used the time off to get some online shopping done for the holidays.  I have presents for my brother, sister-in-law, niece, and great-nephew in the apartment already.  Gifts for my other brother and father are ordered and on the way.   I've also ordered my holiday stamps so I'll have then ready when it's time to mail out the cards.

I've also logged on to my work computer a few times.  I didn't do any work, but I HATE getting back to work the first day after vacation,  and having 200 or so emails to shift through.   I logged on, and cleared out the emails that were unnecessary or didn't require a reply, so when I get back, I can jump right on the emails that need a reply.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16272 on: November 11, 2019, 11:55:53 am »
Stay-cationing sounds nice. Maybe I should try it sometime. I guess, since I work at home, I would have to go elsewhere and staycate there.

But then it's not a staycation, is it?  :laugh:

Mod Podge is an item that is used in crafting.  First, it acts as an adhesive.  You take a picture/image, and you put a layer of Mod Podge on the back of it, as well as on the item you're gluing it to, and you place it where you want it to be.

However, Mod Podge dries clearly, and is also a sealant, so after what you've glued dries, you put another layer of Mod Podge over it, and it will be sealed to the project after it dries.

So you could use it to put pictures of naked men on the walls of your shower.  ;D

If you wanted to, yes, but I'm not sure how long  it would stay attached to the wall.   There are a few different types of Mod Podge, and there is a "water-resistant" one, but it's not "water-proof",  so I would assume that means the sealant would wash away after some time.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16273 on: November 11, 2019, 12:07:41 pm »
I do not know what you would call my last 3 nights (4 days). I do not work but took a driving and hiking trip across to the other side of the South Island. I booked 2 weeks ago and then was worried as the forecast was not good but too late to cancel my motel bookings.

In total I drove just over 1000km.  Thursday was fine, almost hot, and I drove 346 km to a little village called Makarora at the beginning of the Haast Pass which is the lowest pass across the Southern Alps. Nice views from the motel of the snow capped mountains. I have vague memories of camping there in January 1967, just one year after the road was built over the pass. It poured rain during the night but thankfully Friday was fine and I was able to slowly cross the pass.  While it was my 4th crossing, on previous times I only stopped for the shortest viewpoints. This time I stopped at 9 places and hiked about 9 km in total. The longest was at the top of the pass (562 metres) where I hiked up another 120 metres to a viewpoint.  At least this one only had 2 couples on the track unlike some of the other short ones to falls where the parking areas were full of campervans.  And it is only the beginning of the tourist season.

I reached the west coast after driving 86 km that day and, as it was only just after 2pm, I drove another 50kms south as far as the road goes on the west coast to Jacksons Bay. I had never been there. I had coffee in a converted railway carriage and took another 2.5 km walk to a wild coastal bay just a bit further south. There are many other walks but some are multi day tramps, beyond me now.
I returned 35km to another motel which was very nice but 15km from nearest town (if you can call it a town, population 250).

Again it poured all night but the west coast is known for some of the highest rainfall figures in the world. Just as well I did all the walks on the way over as it rained all the way back across the Pass, so I drove 190km with just one stop for coffee at the little place I had stayed Thursday night. Back on the other side of the alps it was at first sunny then showers in the late afternoon. I could have driven further but had booked my final motel so checked in at 2.30pm.

When I went out for dinner (I cooked all my other meals on the trip), I was dismayed to see the showers had left reddish brown spots all over the car.  It is dust from Australia 2000km away where they are having very bad fires. I saw the street where I lived for 28 years was in the news and emailed my neighbours of that time. They replied that the fire had been brought under control at 3am that morning in what was my back yard. Over the day and night there have been over 150 houses lost and at least 3 people have died. I am so glad I left, even if we do sometimes get sick of the rain here in NZ.

Again it rained all night (the dust has gone) and all the way on my 314km drive today so again I only stopped once for coffee and was home just after 1.30pm. Altogether I drove just over 1000 km and glad I got to do all the walks I planned even if on just the one day rather than spread over 2.

Hello Brian!

Sounds like quite the trip!  I'm glad you were able to get all the hikes in,  in spite of the bad weather. 

Awful news about the fires, that's a lot of houses to be lost, and any life lost is too much.  Sending peace and good vibes to the family and friends to those who lost their lives.  It's disconcerting that the fire reached up to what was once your back yard.

As for what you would call your trip, here in the US it could be called a "road trip".

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16274 on: November 11, 2019, 01:13:05 pm »
So you could use it to put pictures of naked men on the walls of your shower.  ;D

If you wanted to, yes, but I'm not sure how long  it would stay attached to the wall.   There are a few different types of Mod Podge, and there is a "water-resistant" one, but it's not "water-proof",  so I would assume that means the sealant would wash away after some time.

Then you could put up new pictures of different naked men, just for a change.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16275 on: November 11, 2019, 02:16:05 pm »
Then you could put up new pictures of different naked men, just for a change.  ;D

Variety is the spice of life.  ;D

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16276 on: November 19, 2019, 10:17:27 am »
Are you decorated for Thanksgiving? At home I set out a little set of candles of a Pilgrim boy and girl and a turkey. I also have a little set of salt and pepper shakers where the salt is a turkey and the pepper is a pumpkin. Here at work I have one of those old-fashioned crepe-paper turkeys set up--the head of the turkey is cardboard, and the body and tail are crepe-paper, and the tail fans out.

Here at work, the Christmas tree is already set up in the lobby.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16277 on: November 20, 2019, 12:19:10 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Work has been going well, and the United Way reached out to us about the annual Christmas drive to give gifts to kids in need.

The name I picked was a 4 year-old boy named Klay.  He asked for a "superman toy",  so I got  him this.

It has Superman, Batman, Flash and Aquaman, and then one 'bad guy'  for each of them,  Lex Luthor (green and purple), Firefly (grey wings), Reverse Flash (yellow outfit with red accents), and Black Manta (black suit with red eyes).

Then, because I'm me, I had to go a little extra and order these for the kid.

:laugh:

He'll probably have no idea who these are, but damn it,  he's getting the Wonder Twins in his Christmas gift!   :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16278 on: November 20, 2019, 12:23:26 am »
Are you decorated for Thanksgiving? At home I set out a little set of candles of a Pilgrim boy and girl and a turkey. I also have a little set of salt and pepper shakers where the salt is a turkey and the pepper is a pumpkin. Here at work I have one of those old-fashioned crepe-paper turkeys set up--the head of the turkey is cardboard, and the body and tail are crepe-paper, and the tail fans out.

Here at work, the Christmas tree is already set up in the lobby.  :(

Yes,  my apartment is decorated.  I have a flag with a turkey on it hanging in my main window.  Then the smaller windows have light-up turkeys in them.

Christmas decorating will start the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16279 on: November 20, 2019, 10:53:33 am »
Cool toys! The kid will be so thrilled.

What's that vaguely phallic object Superman is wielding?