Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8741075 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17590 on: August 20, 2022, 12:29:22 pm »

Some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on
Some feel the heat and decide that they can't go on
Some like it hot, but you can't tell how hot 'til you try
Some like it hot, so let's turn up the heat 'til we fry

There was a cute story on NPR this morning about how bees and butterflies need sodium and they can't get it from nectar so they get it from sweat.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17591 on: August 20, 2022, 08:15:48 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

I hope everyone is having a relaxing weekend, or a productive one.

I'm opting for the productive.   My friends are having a yard sale in October, so I asked if they would have room for me to put out a table at their sale, where I can get rid of some stuff.   She said "sure", so I spent today going around the apartment, looking for things I no longer want or need, and putting it in one location, so I can contemplate how to price it and get rid of it.

I plan on selling some of the comic books I have that I no longer want, as well as other things that are just collecting dust.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17592 on: August 20, 2022, 08:16:47 pm »
Very interesting that Madonna collection is being issued on vinyl.  :D

Same, but I think a lot of younger people like vinyl, either for its vintage charm or perceived better sound quality.

Personally, I haven't bought music in any physical form in years. I listen to almost everything on YouTube because I like the visuals. Otherwise I'd probably go with Spotify.

Come to think of it, the Brokeback soundtrack was one of my most recent CD purchases. :)

Vinyl is making a comeback, and a number of new releases have been issued in vinyl format.

I haven't purchased a lot of physical forms of music lately, but if I hear something I really like, I get it.   As for Madonna, I collect her stuff, so I ALWAYS buy the physical copies of her albums.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17593 on: August 20, 2022, 09:23:00 pm »
I'm opting for the productive.   My friends are having a yard sale in October, so I asked if they would have room for me to put out a table at their sale, where I can get rid of some stuff.   She said "sure", so I spent today going around the apartment, looking for things I no longer want or need, and putting it in one location, so I can contemplate how to price it and get rid of it.

I plan on selling some of the comic books I have that I no longer want, as well as other things that are just collecting dust.

If it no longer sparks joy, get rid of it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17594 on: August 20, 2022, 09:35:24 pm »
Same, but I think a lot of younger people like vinyl, either for its vintage charm or perceived better sound quality.

I guess it's just my bad ears, but I've never understood that about the sound quality. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of your turntable, speakers, etc., but as soon as I first heard some classical music on CD, I was hooked.

Personally, I haven't bought music in any physical form in years. I listen to almost everything on YouTube because I like the visuals. Otherwise I'd probably go with Spotify.

I wouldn't even know where to go to buy music in physical form anymore. Oh, sure, the last time I was in the electronics department at a Walmart, and that was now some time ago, you could still buy music CDs and video DVDs, and you can buy online, and I know you can find music CDs (vinyl, too) in used book etc. stores, and in thrift shops, but I'm thinking of places like Tower Records--anybody else remember Tower Records?

In my first years in Philadelphia, Tower Records was such a big deal that it had an entirely separate building just to house the Classical department.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 07:48:31 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17595 on: August 20, 2022, 09:42:05 pm »
If it no longer sparks joy, get rid of it.

I agree.  It feels good to purge.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17596 on: August 20, 2022, 09:44:45 pm »
I wouldn't even know where to go to buy music in physical form anymore. Oh, sure, the last time I was the electronics department at a Walmart, and that was now some time ago, you could still by music CDs and video DVDs, and you can buy online, and I know you can find music CDs (vinyl, too) in used book etc. stores, and in thrift shops, but I'm thinking of places like Tower Records--anybody else remember Tower Records?

In my first years in Philadelphia, Tower Records was such a big deal that it had an entirely separate building just to house the Classical department.

I would go to Tower Records in NYC on occasion.  I got a 3 CD set from 5 Star.  They were a British sibling group I liked back in the 80s, they were more popular in Europe, but had a few R&B / Dance hits here in the US.

I also managed to get of few of Nena's German CDs there.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17597 on: August 21, 2022, 10:50:23 am »
I guess it's just my bad ears, but I've never understood that about the sound quality. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of your turntable, speakers, etc., but as soon as I first heard some classical music on CD, I was hooked.

I don't have a good sense of subtle distinctions in music quality, which probably explains why I listen to music on YouTube on my phone. But years ago read a piece by Neil Young lambasting digital music and arguing that vinyl had much better sound quality. I figured he would know, so I've just always gone along with that.

Personally, when it comes to physical music media I much prefer CDs to vinyl because they don't scratch as easily and you can skip around between songs without having to lift a needle. And although I always enjoyed album-cover art and liner notes, CDs are much more portable. My former car had a 6-CD player and back in those days I used it quite a bit, especially in the years I lived in Chicago and drove back and forth to Minneapolis a lot. Now I rarely listen to music in the car, not for quick errands or even when driving half an hour or more. if I were driving to Chicago I'd probably go with a podcast or audiobook.

All the vinyl albums I'd accumulated in my youth were officially destroyed in 1997, when the basement of a house we had just moved into flooded and destroyed some of the things we hadn't unpacked. It was no great loss, because I wasn't good about carefully using dust sleeves and my records were pretty beat up. My ex-husband's, luckily, were saved because he kept his in pristine condition and has hundreds of them. I don't know how often he listens to them (he also has lots of CDs and even cassette tapes), but when my son Jack was about 17 he borrowed a bunch of the vinyl albums, bought a turntable and got into artists like the Velvet Underground and David Bowie.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17598 on: August 21, 2022, 08:00:21 pm »
I don't have a good sense of subtle distinctions in music quality, which probably explains why I listen to music on YouTube on my phone. But years ago read a piece by Neil Young lambasting digital music and arguing that vinyl had much better sound quality. I figured he would know, so I've just always gone along with that.

You would think so, but I still have to think that the quality of the equipment you use to play vinyl must have some effect on how the music sounds. I'm sure Neil Young had access to better systems than your typical home stereo system. I know some folks had some pretty sophisticated home stereo equipment, but I'm talking run-of-mill home stereos here.

All the vinyl albums I'd accumulated in my youth were officially destroyed in 1997, when the basement of a house we had just moved into flooded and destroyed some of the things we hadn't unpacked. It was no great loss, because I wasn't good about carefully using dust sleeves and my records were pretty beat up. My ex-husband's, luckily, were saved because he kept his in pristine condition and has hundreds of them. I don't know how often he listens to them (he also has lots of CDs and even cassette tapes), but when my son Jack was about 17 he borrowed a bunch of the vinyl albums, bought a turntable and got into artists like the Velvet Underground and David Bowie.

I still have a lot of cassette tapes, many I made myself. My stereo has two tape decks, so in addition to recording from records, it was possible to play two tapes successively, or copy a tape. Unfortunately, the last time I tried to play a tape, the player no longer functioned.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17599 on: August 22, 2022, 09:10:09 am »
You would think so, but I still have to think that the quality of the equipment you use to play vinyl must have some effect on how the music sounds. I'm sure Neil Young had access to better systems than your typical home stereo system. I know some folks had some pretty sophisticated home stereo equipment, but I'm talking run-of-mill home stereos here.

True.

I still have a lot of cassette tapes, many I made myself. My stereo has two tape decks, so in addition to recording from records, it was possible to play two tapes successively, or copy a tape. Unfortunately, the last time I tried to play a tape, the player no longer functioned.

All I have at this point are a handful of CDs, and even some of those are empty cases. I wish I still had the CD my son made me about 10 years ago that helped me learn to like (some) rap.  :-\  Luckily I listened to it often enough that I remember most of the songs and can find them online.