Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8744716 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17740 on: December 29, 2022, 01:41:17 am »
My problem is that you need a million things around the house that don't "spark joy." My paintings, my tchotchkes, my books, some clothes and a few other things here and there spark joy. But the vast majority of my household possessions are fairly joyless yet perform necessary functions.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17741 on: December 29, 2022, 11:35:32 am »
My problem is that you need a million things around the house that don't "spark joy." My paintings, my tchotchkes, my books, some clothes and a few other things here and there spark joy. But the vast majority of my household possessions are fairly joyless yet perform necessary functions.

I have an impression--and I admit it's one that may not speak very well of me (stereotyping)--that the Japanese don't accumulate as much stuff as Westerners do, so maybe "tidying up" isn't as large a project for Japanese people as it might be for us here in the U.S. (Cultural thing? Smaller homes? Combination of the two?)

Maybe there are different levels of sparking joy? I'm not ecstatic over my coffee maker, but it makes me happy.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17742 on: December 29, 2022, 02:53:34 pm »
I have an impression--and I admit it's one that may not speak very well of me (stereotyping)--that the Japanese don't accumulate as much stuff as Westerners do, so maybe "tidying up" isn't as large a project for Japanese people as it might be for us here in the U.S. (Cultural thing? Smaller homes? Combination of the two?)

Maybe there are different levels of sparking joy? I'm not ecstatic over my coffee maker, but it makes me happy.  :)

Possibly! Maybe this is stereotyping, too, but Japanese style seems more careful and deliberate -- neatly arranged bento boxes, for example, instead of food just slopped onto a plate.

As for joy, although my can opener does not spark any discernable joy, I definitely felt the opposite of joy when, missing mine, I had to try to stab a can of tomato sauce open with a meat thermometer.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17743 on: December 29, 2022, 05:58:39 pm »
Possibly! Maybe this is stereotyping, too, but Japanese style seems more careful and deliberate -- neatly arranged bento boxes, for example, instead of food just slopped onto a plate.

It definitely seems a different aesthetic than in the West.

As for joy, although my can opener does not spark any discernable joy, I definitely felt the opposite of joy when, missing mine, I had to try to stab a can of tomato sauce open with a meat thermometer.

:o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17744 on: December 31, 2022, 03:09:51 pm »
It worked, but it was not ideal for the tomato sauce or the meat thermometer.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17745 on: December 31, 2022, 06:13:54 pm »
It worked, but it was not ideal for the tomato sauce or the meat thermometer.

:laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17746 on: January 04, 2023, 05:32:44 pm »
Thank you so much for the Xmas card, Chuck  :-*
It arrived today.

The postman probably swam it across the ocean himself  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17747 on: January 08, 2023, 12:13:19 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

I hope that 2023 is going well for you all so far!!

Weekend started out busy for me!   Friday night, Trenton was in a basketball game, and I drove myself, mom and dad up so we could see him.   Trent scored his first basket!  He was pretty psyched about that, and he was so happy we were there to see it.

Saturday I spent the day doing the 'un-decorating' the apartment.  It would've gone quicker if I didn't keep stopping to do different things (LOL) but everything Christmas related was packed away as of 7:00 yesterday evening.  I also took the time to dust and vacuum before I moved the furniture back to its usual places.

Today I'll be seeing mom and dad for lunch, but nothing else planned after that.

Full week of work ahead, but next Monday is a national holiday, so another three day-weekend is on the horizon.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17748 on: January 09, 2023, 01:49:10 pm »
We finally get an MLK holiday this year!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17749 on: January 14, 2023, 07:30:06 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Today is my dad's birthday, and tomorrow is mine.   I was supposed to go out for lunch with friends today, and then tomorrow see the family for lunch, however, I got an unwanted birthday gift, a positive Covid test.

>:(

I'm doing fine.  I went to bed last night with a mild sore throat, and a stuffy nose.  This is not unusual, as I have allergies and post-nasal drip, which can cause my throat to hurt.

I woke this morning, and the sore throat was gone, just had a stuffy nose.  Still have my sense of taste and smell, no aches, no pains, not problems breathing, and no fever.  However, I wanted to be careful since I was seeing friends, so I did an at-home test, and it came up positive.

So I immediately made phone calls to everyone to cancel plans.

Goes to show that no matter how careful you are, you can still get it.  I've still been masking up, and I had my Omicron booster in October or November, I can't recall which.

I'm monitoring my symptoms and oxygen levels, everything is fine.

I'm going to isolate until next Saturday, and work from the apartment all week.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!