Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2533048 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"R" is The Red Shoes
« Reply #1810 on: November 27, 2007, 05:59:03 am »
==comment==

I remember the first time I "stumbled" upon this movie on television. I knew nothing about the story and I was transfixed. It is available on a Criterion DVD. Here is their description:

A glorious Technicolor epic that influenced generations of filmmakers, artists, and aspiring ballerinas, The Red Shoes intricately weaves backstage life with the thrill of performance. A young ballerina (Moira Shearer) is torn between two forces: the composer who loves her (Marius Goring), and the impresario determined to fashion her into a great dancer (Anton Walbrook).

One of the special features on the DVD is a look at Martin Scorsese's collection of Red Shoes memorabilia. Who knew?

For anyone playing this game who hasn't seen this movie...add it to your "must see" list.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"S" is The Snake Pit
« Reply #1811 on: November 27, 2007, 09:52:22 am »
I was never a fan
of Olivia deHavilland
She was always the victim,
blindly trusting and painfully bland

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:27:01 pm by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"T" is Test Tube Babies
« Reply #1812 on: November 27, 2007, 12:45:02 pm »

Bizarre poster, apparently a film about artificial insemination.

IMDb user comment:  "Proof that PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE is far from the worst film ever made!!"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"U is Unfaithfully Yours
« Reply #1813 on: November 27, 2007, 12:55:27 pm »
==comment==

Another movie available from the Criterion Collection. Here is their description:

In this pitch-black comedy from legendary writer-director Preston Sturges, Rex Harrison stars as Sir Alfred De Carter, a world-famous symphony conductor consumed with the suspicion that his wife is having an affair. During a concert, the jealous De Carter entertains elaborate visions of vengeance, set to three separate orchestral works. But when he attempts to put his murderous fantasies into action, nothing works out quite as planned. A brilliantly performed mixture of razor-sharp dialogue and uproarious slapstick, Unfaithfully Yours is a true classic from a grand master of screen comedy.

Remade in the 80s with Dudley Moore and not nearly as funny.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"V" is The Velvet Touch.
« Reply #1814 on: November 27, 2007, 02:08:06 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"W" is Words and Music
« Reply #1815 on: November 27, 2007, 02:21:54 pm »

Fictionalized story of the songwriting partnership of Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Wildcard "X": The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
« Reply #1816 on: November 27, 2007, 02:45:50 pm »
==comment==

I have never seen this, although it is scheduled to be on TCM on December 8 at 4:15 pm, so I may have a chance to fill this void in my viewing history. I had a hard time deciding between this and "Germania Anno Zero" for this wildcard but went with TSM because it was mentioned so many times in reviews and comments on Wages of Fear (my obsession of the week).

Directed by John Huston; starring Humphrey Bogart and Walter Huston (John Huston's father). Won Oscars for Best Director, Best Writing, and Best Supporting Actor. Nominated for Best Picture but didn't win.

Offline opinionista

"Y" is Yellow Sky
« Reply #1817 on: November 27, 2007, 03:17:27 pm »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline oilgun

"Z" is Ziddi
« Reply #1818 on: November 27, 2007, 03:41:16 pm »
From IMDb: Ashok Kumar introduced Dev as a leading man opposite Kamini Kaushal in 'Ziddi'. Thereafter there has been no looking back for the 'evegreen' Dev Anand, who went on to star in over 110 movies, spanning from 1946 through to 2005.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Round 1947
« Reply #1819 on: November 27, 2007, 03:56:56 pm »
Sixty years ago it was....Round 1947!