Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2558546 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"F" is Fitzcarraldo (1982)
« Reply #1860 on: November 29, 2007, 10:50:09 am »

Plot Outline (from IMDb):  The story of Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald, an extremely determined man who intends to build an opera house in the middle of the Peruvian jungle.

=comment=
Fitzcarraldo  is rated 8.0/10 over at IMDb, so I'm obviously a minority opinion.  I hated it.  I saw it in a theater after a late dinner while on a double date, and all I could think of while watching it was how I'd rather be home sleeping.  I forced myself to stay awake during it, but I can remember nodding off and waking up with a jerk -- a couple of times.  Watching it was probably the longest 158 minutes of my life.  (I could have sworn it was a three-hour movie....) 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"G" is Gigli (2003)
« Reply #1861 on: November 29, 2007, 10:52:28 am »
==comment==

I will admit, I didn't see it...just relied on the reviews that said it was bad, bad, bad. Trivia from IMDb: Became the first film in the history of the Razzie Awards to "sweep" all the top categories. Including, Worst Picture, Worst Director - Martin Brest, Worst Actor - Ben Affleck, Worst Actress
Jennifer Lopez and Worst Screenplay - Written by Martin Brest. The film ("Gigli") also claimed a sixth Razzie Award for Worst Screen Couple - Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"H" is House of Wax (2005)
« Reply #1862 on: November 29, 2007, 11:04:14 am »
=Comment=

Paris Hilton is in it. Enough said! (No, I haven't seen it and don't plan on seeing it either!)

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline oilgun

"I" is Into the Blue (2005)
« Reply #1863 on: November 29, 2007, 12:29:50 pm »
One of my favourite Guilty Pleasures!

This film is really only about eye candy, with both Jessica Alba and that gorgeous Paul Walker in bathing suits most of the time!  The story is silly in its implausibility but who cares when Paul Walker has no clothes on?  There's a scene that makes me laugh everytime I see it (i've watched this film numerous times!). A speedboat of bad guys is chasing a swimming (without fins!) Paul Walker who decides to hide at the bottom of the ocean.  You see him crouching on the ocean floor, without even a mask, looking up as the boat circles above, looking for him.  I don't know about you, but I've  been in the ocean and it's damn near impossible to swim to the bottom without fins, much less stand there immobile.  But hey, did I mention that Paul Walker spends the movie half naked?! 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 02:54:16 pm by oilgun »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"J" is Just Married (2003)
« Reply #1864 on: November 29, 2007, 12:41:40 pm »
==comment==

I saw this rather awful movie on HBO, in which I had the pleasure of meeting Demi Moore's future husband. I wish we'd never been introduced!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:05:43 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"K" is The Karate Kid, Part III (1989)
« Reply #1865 on: November 29, 2007, 01:13:56 pm »
==comment==
This movie is so awful that it's hilarious. I thought that the 1st was good, the 2nd one okay and the 3rd one a complete joke.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline oilgun

"L" is Last House on the Left (1972)
« Reply #1866 on: November 29, 2007, 01:38:36 pm »
Probably the most unpleasant and disturbing film I've ever seen.  I saw it on the big screen the year it came out and it upset me to the point of feeling sick to my stomach (and I was 16!).  And not so much by the gore, although there is some, but by the realistic degradation, torture and violence.   I'm actually starting to feel sick just thinking about it now.  Not sure if that makes it a bad or a good film, but there you go. Ugh!

from dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5349

A loose retelling of Bergman’s ‘The Virgin Spring', ‘Last House on the Left’ tells the sorry tale of two teenage girls who, on a night out in the big, scary city, are kidnapped by a gang of four people, two of which are escaped convicts. It’s extremely low budget film making, its director Wes Craven has gone on to far bigger things since, but there is a certain effectiveness and creative energy at work here.[...] This is a film that tries to have some depth, and at times succeeds. It does raise questions about the way society sees violence as entertainment. The violent acts are presented, for the most part, in a realistic way and we, the audience, are shown that this is not entertaining at all; it is ugly and degrading.

Offline opinionista

"M" is Maid in Manhattan (2002)
« Reply #1867 on: November 29, 2007, 01:40:30 pm »
==comment==
I still can't believe Ralph Fiennes actually signed up to do this movie.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"N" is National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation (1997)
« Reply #1868 on: November 29, 2007, 02:19:45 pm »
==comment==

The first one was really funny, the second one was funny, the third one was mediocre by the time they came to number four (this one), it was just really really bad...I actually watched this...on HBO, I think...and I just said, "Why?"

Offline oilgun

"O" is One Hour Photo (2002)
« Reply #1869 on: November 29, 2007, 02:28:44 pm »
This movie features one of the worst performances by a sentient being that I've had the misfortune of seeing.  I remember when I used to really like Robin Williams.  But then Mork & Mindy got cancelled  :laugh:

I had to change my selection because The Order had already been played in the 2003 Round although I'm leaving the info because I love the poster:

Sorry Heath, but even seeing your sexiness in priestly attire couldn't save this endlessly booooooooring movie.  It was so bad that I had to watch it in shifts.

A great line from a disgruntled viewer on IMDb:

Badly written, badly edited, and (if I may be so bold) badly acted, "The Order" is the black hole of film - a movie so dense not even the slightest bit of entertainment could escape from its event horizon of suck.

==ASIDE==

I changed my "E" selection to something more well-known.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 04:53:12 pm by oilgun »