Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2568578 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"B" is Blade Runner (1982)
« Reply #1970 on: December 05, 2007, 04:11:50 pm »
Young Harrison Ford.  Love the soundtrack.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"C" is Coma (1978)
« Reply #1971 on: December 05, 2007, 04:12:48 pm »
I still LOVE this movie which like Alien has a strong feminist protagonist, played beautifully by Genevieve Bujold who is a favourite of mine.  Watch for a good cameo by a young Ed Harris and a not so good one by Tom Selleck. Elizabeth Ashley is a hoot as the nurse at the sinister Jefferson Institute.

Excerpt from a review at From http://www.toptenreviews.com/scripts/eframe/url.htm?u=http%3A%2F%2Freviews.imdb.com%2FReviews%2F207%2F20760

The movie protagonist is Doctor Susan Wheeler (played by Genevieve Bujold), young doctor in big Boston hospital. During her practice, she begins noticing a strange pattern of young and healthy patients falling into unexplained coma during the routine surgeries. She begins to investigate, although everyone, including her boyfriend and colleague Doctor Marc Bellows (played by Michael Douglas), doesn't believe her claims about all those cases being connected. Actually, the cause of that phenomenon becomes even more sinister after Doctor Wheeler survives an attempt on her life. Finally motivated to push through the bitter end, she begins to reveal the shocking truth.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:06:45 am by oilgun »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"D" is Drumline (2002)
« Reply #1972 on: December 05, 2007, 04:22:43 pm »
==comment==

Nick Cannon was hot--and I never heard of Nick Cannon before this movie! It makes me want to go to a football game at a historically Black university just for the halftime show.

&feature=related

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:29:15 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"E" is Enchanted April (1992)
« Reply #1973 on: December 06, 2007, 02:11:41 am »

Four women in post-World War I England leave damp and rainy London to go on a holiday to a secluded coastal villa in Italy (Portofino). Two lonely housewives, who belong to the same church but have never spoken, become acquainted.  After seeing a newspaper ad for a villa for rent on the Italian Riviera, the women set about finding two other ladies to share expenses. Joined by a beautiful young socialite and an elderly dowager, the four find rejuvenation in the tranquil beauty of their surroundings.

This is such a feel-good movie, and it's right up my alley.  I love anything British, and this is like a good Masterpiece Theater feature, with lovely locations and pretty costumes and a smart script and a marvelously sappy, happy ending for all.  It's like a mini-vacation, and I feel renewed at the end, just like the characters do.  Wonderful performances from everyone, particularly Josie Lawrence, Miranda Richardson, Jim Broadbent and Alfred Molina.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
« Reply #1974 on: December 06, 2007, 03:20:10 am »

Hugh Grant at his self-deprecating best.

Offline oilgun

"G" is Gattaca (1997)
« Reply #1975 on: December 06, 2007, 04:41:07 am »
There is no gene for the human spirit - This dystopian film has been accused of being more style than substance but I disagree.  It certainly is beautifully stylish and gorgeously shot but it's a character driven film that is surprisingly affecting.   Ethan Hawke, as Vincent the 'in-valid', is at his most tortured and handsome and has great chemistry with both Jude Law, as the damaged Jerome whose identity he assumes, and Uma Thurman as his love interest Irene.  Plus it has Gore Vidal   and he's always a treat.  I watch this on a regular basis and my heart aches every time...

Offline opinionista

"H" is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
« Reply #1976 on: December 06, 2007, 07:33:18 am »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"I" is Imitation of Life (1959)
« Reply #1977 on: December 06, 2007, 08:00:13 am »
==comment==

A Douglas Sirk film, with Lana Turner, Sandra Dee and Troy Donahue. This movie is so jaw-droppingly over the top, especially the funeral at the end, that you can't help but love it. Lana Turner's costumes are great, too.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"J" is Joy Ride (2001)
« Reply #1978 on: December 06, 2007, 09:22:28 am »
OK, I admit it, I have a thing for Paul Walker but this definitely is a high tension, joy ride of a movie!

An Excerpt from a decent review at http://www.solomonrothman.com/blog/2007/11/16/roadkill-joy-ride-2001-dvd-review-steve-zahn-paul-walker-leelee-sobieski/

This isn’t a scare a minute horror movie, or one that is filled with violence, blood and guts, it plays on tension, a good plot and doesn’t make that fatal mistake of taking itself too seriously. Everyone in the film understands the kind of movie they are making; it’s a teen horror that doesn’t rely on the usual cheap scares and over the top acting and instead pulls something out of the bag that is altogether very different. In my opinion it is better than Jeepers Creepers, which although everyone raves about was only actually any good for the first half of the movie until ‘The Creeper’ gets revealed wouldn’t you agree? Unlike that, Roadkill (or Joy Ride depending on how you want to refer to it) is consistently tense and fun throughout the films entirety. It never loses pace, and it never once becomes boring or tedious leaving the audience on the edge of their seats and desperate to catch a glimpse of the brilliantly unstable Rusty Nail.

With the obligatory Paul Walker skin shot, God bless him!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
'K' is Kate and Leopold (2001)
« Reply #1979 on: December 06, 2007, 11:41:40 am »
I saw this movie for the first time on tv a couple of weeks ago. Good fun. Hugh was great!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'