Author Topic: Ok! Magazine is reporting that Heath is in talks to do BBM 2  (Read 26613 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Ok! Magazine is reporting that Heath is in talks to do BBM 2
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2007, 07:35:10 am »

I got a Email today that states that Michelle Williams is planning on moving to Portland Ore...I wonder
why she is moving here...?  Odd...

This is from World Entertainment News Weekly:

Actress Michelle Williams is keen to make a clean break after splitting up with boyfriend Heath Ledger - she's looking to move to Portland, Oregon.

Friends claim there are too many bad memories for her in New York, where she shared a love-nest with her Brokeback Mountain co-star, and she fell for Oregon during a recent break there.

A source tells In Touch Weekly magazine, "The split with Heath was pretty devastating, and Michelle wants to start over."

Williams and her two-year-old daughter by Ledger, Matilda, recently spent time with friends in Portland, and now she's reportedly looking to create a base there.

The insider adds, "She's able to relax and unwind when she is here."
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
I really think Brokeback Mountain had one of the most beautiful endings I have ever seen in a film, and I for one do not think that any sequel could do justice to the spirit of the original without reproducing the same story... but perhaps I am a little closed-minded?

I'm with you, Daniel.  Maybe I don't have the imagination, but I don't see it working.  To me, it would be like making a Casablana II.  Do Rick and Ilse meet up in New York City after the war?  That's not a perfect example because although they're tragically parted, they are both alive.  Still, Casablanca ended the way it needed to, just as Brokeback Mountain did - it's why they are classics.  I doubt that if Brokeback Mountain had an unambiguous ending, we would be here talking about it.  That's precisely why we can internalize it and make it our own personal story - and why people are compelled to write fan fiction.

For the record, I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies, so maybe I've only seen bad sequels.  LOTR and Star Wars are trilogies, IMO, and HP books are individual also.  But I don't guess I would put anything past Hollywood.

Another thing occurs to me...I've never been a big fan of Gone With the Wind, but some people think it's a classic.  There was a sequel (a novel) that I thought was at least as good as the original.  And now I hear there's another one, Rhett, coming out.  Both of these were done with the approval of Margaret Mitchell's estate.

So, I'm arguing in circles and taking up bits and bytes...sorry. ???
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2007, 01:43:35 pm »

For the record, I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies, so maybe I've only seen bad sequels.

Off topic and tangential, but you really should see GF and GF Part 2 as part of your cinematic education. They are very, very good and I am not usually a big fan of gangster movies with violence. But these are amazingly well done character studies that focus on the people.

Skip the third one (which came out something like 20 years after part 2). It was lousy.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2007, 01:46:34 pm »
They're in the netflix queue, Les - I'll move them up!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2007, 02:43:14 pm »
This is from World Entertainment News Weekly:

Actress Michelle Williams is keen to make a clean break after splitting up with boyfriend Heath Ledger - she's looking to move to Portland, Oregon.

Friends claim there are too many bad memories for her in New York, where she shared a love-nest with her Brokeback Mountain co-star, and she fell for Oregon during a recent break there.

A source tells In Touch Weekly magazine, "The split with Heath was pretty devastating, and Michelle wants to start over."

Williams and her two-year-old daughter by Ledger, Matilda, recently spent time with friends in Portland, and now she's reportedly looking to create a base there.

The insider adds, "She's able to relax and unwind when she is here."

I read this, too.  This doesn't reflect well on their breakup.  Obviously it wasn't amicable or "something we both decided was best".  It sounds messy and painful and unexpected and apparently Michelle got the short-end of the stick.  After all, you don't hear about Heath moving away from New York to get away from the memories.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2007, 08:59:37 pm »
Not always. The Godfather is an example of good sequels. Both are very good films.

Thank you for leaving out the god-awful Godfather III.  The Anna Nicole Smith School of Acting for one character from that movie, who got her role from nepotism, brought us the worst death scene in the history of moviemaking.   ::)

I also love the fact it's called "OK" magazine.  It's not good, it's not bad... it's just OK! 

I personally could imagine Hollywood greenlighting a sequel for this movie because it -was- financially successful.  But artistically (and for Hollywood, what's that?) it would be troublesome to see a sequel.  The way to determine whether this is real of not is to see if Proulx says anything about it.  I can't see Ang Lee directing a sequel either.

And if it were commercial, we'd end up with Ennis Del Mar hopping a flight to West Hollywood in some fish out of water nightmare of a movie.  "Imagine Crocodile Dundee with a gay guy who has to cope with Ras-Cal, an African-American diva drag queen performer who he ends up rooming with.  Can they survive?  Co-starring Pauly Shore as Ennis' new best friend."  I'd start slicing my wrists immediately.  :)

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2007, 08:36:50 pm »
If Heath will do BMII, I applaud him!

It would be about time!

WE, gay men, need it! Others too!!

Hugs!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2007, 01:01:34 am »
This is almost as lively as the "I'm sorry / It's alright" debate.  :D 

No, seriously, I like that everyone is discussing this and everyone has their own opinions and everyone is being respectful of that.  I'm enjoying reading both sides of the story.  Both sides have valid points.

I'm going to copy and paste in what I wrote over on TOB:

I'm all on board for this. It should be just as grueling and full of hardships as the first. Perhaps Ennis gets beaten up, bashed, etc. It wont be easy. Show the struggles, and balance out both the heartbreaking side of life gay men faced and still do face, and also maybe leave a little room for a happy ending too. But there must be both! I like the idea of some flashbacks. Maybe some flashbacks to some scenes of some fishin' trips, or the time on the mountain. Get everyone involved: Proulx, Ossana, McMurtry, Ang Lee, Prieto, Ledger, Gyllenhaal, Harbour, Hathaway, Farris, etc. Do it right.

If done right, with the same qualities as the first, the excellent writing, stunning cinematography, and direction and editing that also makes this even resonate further, this could be big. The first movie did big business at the Box Office, and that's with many folks not going to see it because they had doubts, or fear of seeing it in the theatre. Factor in all the folks this movie has touched who have since seen it on DVD or on HBO, and definitely the market is there. Make it good enough, and perhaps there will even be new folks who never saw the original, who will now because a second movie has been made... Maybe Heath'll finally get that Oscar...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2007, 10:20:05 am »
Yes, for an BMII!

What else can be in the next one?

Hugs!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old