Author Topic: How often do you think about Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 21097 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
How often do you think about Brokeback Mountain?
« on: May 14, 2006, 03:31:14 am »
For me, the answer is "almost constantly." I'm trying to downgrade to a simple "off and on throughout the day." But it's hard, even after four f*ckin months.

TJ

Re: How often do you think about Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:01:37 pm »
Well, I have had Brokeback Mountain - the movie and the original short story on my mind first of all off and on since I first heard about the movie in September 2005 when I saw some information about it on a gay online news service.

In November, I joined a Yahoo Group run by a know-it-all heterosexual-and-proud-of-it somewhat homophobic woman who lived in Australia. It was not listed as an Australian Yahoo Group; it was listed as a regular AMERICAN Yahoo Group. She did not like it when openly gay men wanted to discuss their own sexual orientation and how the story related to their own lives. She tried to claim that one's sexual orientation was not that important.

Well, as soon as a friend sent me a text copy of Annie Proulx's Dead Line, Ltd. 1997 copyrighted edition of Brokeback Mountain as published in the "Close Range" short stories book, I decided to start my own Yahoo Group with primary emphasis on the short story and that was in December 2005. I am closing that group this month because most of what is in the book and the movie as far as the issues brought up in Annie Proulx's story are concerned, my other Yahoo Groups have been covering them for several years now.

I do take time to read what is here in the BetterMost board several times a day. I have it set up that I never sign out of the board; but, the time listed only shows when I have the window open to read or post.

As a person who has lived and still lives in the Historical American West, I feel that I have a right to give my POV in regard to how the story and movie content relates to my own life and those whom I know and have known.

Some people have mistaken the states WEST of the Missisippi River to be a part of the American Mid-West. But, historically speaking, the Mid-West is EAST of the Mississippi and NORTH of the Mason-Dixon Line. I don't call Arkansas nor Louisiana Western states (both of them are actually Southern States); but, part of Missouri is in the Central Plains of the USA.

I did create a poll to find out who actually live in or have lived in the historical OLD West between the Rocky Mountains and the Mississippi River.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 08:24:37 am »
Like most voters here "on and off throughout the day".. The strangest things, events, sightings, noises trigger BBM thoughts..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »
Everyday for me.   Of course being on BetterMost causes that!     

I can remember shovelling snow a few months ago, and I'd be thinking "Damn, it snows alot in Wyoming during the winter, I wonder how Ennis coped with it up in Riverton?"    How is that for pathetic?

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 04:52:19 pm »
For me, now, it's off and on throughout the day. It used to be constantly for every waking hour, and even in my dreams. It saddens me that the movie's hold on me has apparently lessened somewhat  :'(, as it feels like I've betrayed Ennis and Jack thereby. But my love for those boys has not abated, and I think this is a lifelong thing I'm looking at here. God, two fictional characters as the love of your life...is that crazy or what?

Smiling while the tears well up,
 :'( :) :'(
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:51:25 pm by moremojo »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 08:02:20 pm »
The story is always "gentle on my mind" and surfaces periodically through out the day. One thing I have noticed is that it is always the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing before I go to sleep. I have to consiously "change channels" in my head so I don't start or end the day with their broken hearts.

O0

Heathen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 02:37:24 am »
A more approprisate question wouold be: how often do I srop?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 05:13:41 am »
One thing I have noticed is that it is always the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing before I go to sleep.
Same here too - still. 

The strangest things, events, sightings, noises trigger BBM thoughts..
~ j U d E
I had a "condiments aisle" moment at the weekend in the supermarket - spotted the sign & away I went  :D

Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:16:04 am »
One thing I have noticed is that it is always the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing before I go to sleep.
Same here too - still. 

Me too!

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:34:51 am »
Everyday for me.   Of course being on BetterMost causes that!     

I can remember shovelling snow a few months ago, and I'd be thinking "Damn, it snows alot in Wyoming during the winter, I wonder how Ennis coped with it up in Riverton?"    How is that for pathetic?

Noooooooooo David it,s not pathetic atall lol.  The strangest things make me think of that film.  Cooking(open the cupboard and see a can of beans) ffs I cant look at a can of damn beans without smiling now!! Thats pathetic.  I was painting today, and I suddenly had visions of Jack and Ennis in their own place doing the same sort of thing together, larking about and getting covered in paint.  Thats pathetic.  I often think of different scenarios too, like changing a scene so it gets a happy ending. Makes me feel better.  Thats pathetic.  FGS this bloody  film lol.  I dont know about you lot, but I cant remember a film that has affected so many people so much.  They deffinatly make the cutest sexiest couple on screen. sigh. :) :)
Oh one last thing, nothing to do with the thread btw. Own up now. How many of you have your picture files nearly FULL of pics from brokeback or of Jake or Heath??  Come on admit it, it,s pretty full of them isnt it? Mine is.  THAT is pathetic, but nice too.  :P :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:38:52 am by Jane »
Always and forever. J&E.xx