Author Topic: TOTW 17/07: Why didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride when they got down the mountain?  (Read 24702 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
What I really loved about Dubois is how friendly everyone was. It not your typical tourist oriented town with the, "lets take their money and run", attitude towards visitors. People I spoke with seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me.

Not to besmirch the good people of Dubois, but since I am of Hispanic descent, let's just say that I was glad to be with a large group of not-Hispanic friends while I was there.  Like I said, maybe things have changed...

injest

Not to besmirch the good people of Dubois, but since I am of Hispanic descent, let's just say that I was glad to be with a large group of not-Hispanic friends while I was there.  Like I said, maybe things have changed...

but they haven't changed all that much??

I keep trying to get that across to people. Things in the middle of the country change a LOT slower than on the coasts.

Offline delalluvia

but they haven't changed all that much??

I keep trying to get that across to people. Things in the middle of the country change a LOT slower than on the coasts.

Excellent point.  I don't know.  I haven't been back to that neck of the woods in sometime.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
With all the debate over where Signal actually is, has anyone thought about an adventure trip to WY that could be called "Searching for Brokeback"?

I tend to lean toward the logic of this hallowed place being near Dubois based on the analysis of brokeplex. In spite of my lack of much interest in the short story vs the film, the geographical logic makes sense. Could it possilby be that the American pronunciation of Dubois being Du boys, or two boys if you take some language liberties, was on purpose?

Seems to me a search for the right place would be a fun scavenger hunt...with ennis as the prize. In fact, I may just head to Dubois myself.

This is already in the works. In fact, 40 people are already signed up for the upcoming Brokeback Roundup June 1-8 in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming, with side trips to the Tetons, Yellowstone, Lightning Flat, and possibly Riverton and Sheridan. We've booked a lodge at the very foot of Brokenback Mountain.

Get all the details here as well as a link to the registration form:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

Great that you have that link Front-Ranger! I envy all of you!!

Regarding Dubois, it is a French word: du meaning of; bois is wood!! Guess then that is was an wooded area? The French-Canadiens there to start it up, as many were lumberjacks like one of my grand-papa?

And that reminds me, that if Aguiire was a French name, then maybe he would have been French-Canadien descent? And, therefore, Aguirre would be more acceptable, as much lenient to gay, bi or other men (straights like lumberjacks stuck in the woods) who played together as Jack and Ennis did up their during their work time on Brokeback Mountain!! ??

Considering that openness of Aguirre, he  would therefore be out of the way if Jack would offer a ride to Ennis after when they got down the mountain!! ?? It seems to me.

Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!!

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I believe Aguirre is a Spanish or Basque name and Aguirre was at least partially Basque, Artiste. I am going to write more about Aguirre in this topic which is devoted to that subject:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,15379.0/all.html

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS

what happened while you were there?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
This is already in the works. In fact, 40 people are already signed up for the upcoming Brokeback Roundup June 1-8 in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming, with side trips to the Tetons, Yellowstone, Lightning Flat, and possibly Riverton and Sheridan. We've booked a lodge at the very foot of Brokenback Mountain.

Get all the details here as well as a link to the registration form:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html

That is wonderful and I hope for a very high turnout in June for the Ten Sleep event!

Many of us prefer to vacation in late July or early Aug, so we are organizing a complimentary, not competing, roundup in the Dubois area at that time. Dubois is near the Tetons and Jackson, so that works out for us as well. Many of us plan to then go up to Calgary for a pilgrimage afterwards. Best of luck in Ten Sleep! 

Offline delalluvia

what happened while you were there?

Let's just say they weren't very friendly, very welcoming nor interested in talking to me.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Let's just say they weren't very friendly, very welcoming nor interested in talking to me.

That truly is unfortunate. I really hate it when people are inhospitable to strangers.

The folks in Dubois sure have no problems being friendly to gay men. I am about as gay as a box of birds, and if they couldn't tell I was gay the minute I stepped out of my truck, they damned sure knew it when I explained to the folks I talked with that my purpose in Dubois was to scout for locations for a round up for a group of gays from Texas. They practically fell over themselves showing me to cabins and guest ranches in the area. One fellow who took me scouting for locations in his Land Rover looked just like Randy Quaid as Joe Aguirre! I would have lost it and laughed if he had an accent like Joe's, but he sounded like a Canadian so I held back my laughter.