Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4589099 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1790 on: December 12, 2006, 11:13:42 am »
No cute guys that I could see, David.

If I had a complaint about the TSA folks, it would be that they are uneven in their approach to travelers. Some of the workers are nice, polite, and respectful and others are just plain surly and rude. For example, yesterday at Dulles, I got to the first checkpoint where you show your id and boarding pass. One man took it, grunted, and made a mark on my pass. I put my id away. I walk ten feet and there is a woman who snaps, "Why don't you have    your id out of your wallet?" and I explained that the other guy just looked at it. Well, apparently his looking wasn't good enough and I had to dig my id out (again) so she could look at it and make another scribble on my boarding pass.

Then I get to the screening area and that was where the woman was thanking me for being so well prepared.

David, I have no doubt at all that you fall into the nice, polite, and respectful category!

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1791 on: December 12, 2006, 01:31:48 pm »
Hi Leslie.

Yes, inconsistancy is a good word for it.      In my short time at the TSA so far, I would have fired at least 12 coworkers for being rude to passengers or just not paying attention to their jobs.     At first I thought this was my previous experience as being a Manager coming out, but then my young coworker Nick (sigh) said the same thing to me.    The lad is smart too!   

At my Airport, the ticket checkers are not TSA employees.   Thus no uniforms, just a suit.    We don't ask to see anyones ID and boarding pass again during the process as it is redundant and slows down the lines.   We must be the only Airport not to ask again, as many people still walk thru holding their boarding passes up in front of them thru the checkpoint.

The Airlines personell also check the ID at the ticket counter before you enter the security checkpoint, plus the Airlines people check it again as you board the plane. So there are plenty of times it gets checked already.

The TSA people have enough to say to you when you walk up:

Hopefully they start with a "Hello, how are you?"

Do you have a laptop computer with you today?

If so, please take it out of its case.

How about a Video Camera? 

If so please take it out of its case.

did you bring any toiletries or liquids you need to declare?

If so please place them in the divesting bin.

I'll need your shoes and coats off

Yes, all footwear including flipflops must come off now.

Plus remove any metal from your pockets.

Yes, that key in your wallet is metal.

Sir / madam that belt buckle is large and metal.

Have a nice day.

That is what they should say.   No, we don't have a script or anything.

I usually say:

"Good afternoon folks"

"I'll be needing your Foot-ware, Outer-ware, Hardware, sportsware and tupperware"

(at this point most people gasp and ask if they can keep their underware! LOL)

"Are we travelling with a laptop or video camera today?"

"Did you pack up your toiletries in a baggy for us?

"Anything else in your pockets?  Car keys, Mobile phone, coins, foil wrapped items, can openers, microwaves or toaster ovens?"

"No?  Then y'all have a great day".

And sometimes if I'm really fealing perky and the line seems kinda tense,  i'll adlib even more.

"Folks if you have a cell phone in your pocket be sure to remove it.  If you have the keys to a large red Cadillac just pass them this way and tell me where you parked."

or "Folks just a reminder that you can't bring bottled water thru the checkpoint.   If you have any drink up or toss it out.    If you have bottled wine, take a sip and pass the bottle back to the person behind you".

And if the line comes to an stop for any length of time  I'll announce "Sorry for the delay folks, there is probably just a small child stuck in the x-ray machine.   We'll get a plunger and have him out in no time".

Yes, I have said all those things at my job.   It breaks the tension in the line and I get lots of compliments from the passengers and my supervisors.

Yeah, I like my job.    ;)

PS:   I can't explain why some people are rude at any job.   Perhaps at some point it just becomes a job.   That is too bad.   Because all of us are in the customer service industry, some more, some less.    To those who are rude like this, I want to say: "Get another job. You clearly don't want to be here anymore".

Granted there are days where I have alot on my mind too.   Sometimes we can't shake the personal issues out of our minds when we get too work.    Trust me,  I have had my share of days too!    But on these days I am just quieter and don't joke around.  I know I still have a job to do and try to be as focussed as possible.

And there have been a few customers who have really been nasty and rude to me.  But I bite my tongue and just smother them with niceness back.   Which I think pisses them off even more.   
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:47:29 pm by DavidinHartford »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1792 on: December 12, 2006, 02:06:14 pm »
David, not that I'm planning to fly anytime soon, but sometimes I find it difficult to get answers to specific questions from official web sites, so I'll ask you, please, if you don't mind:

Are electric shavers permitted in carry-on luggage?

I would expect razor blades are verboten, but what about electric shavers?

Thanks, pardner!  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1793 on: December 12, 2006, 02:07:22 pm »
Well, David, I sure would love to have you as my screening guy!

To be honest, the screeners very rarely say anything to me, which is why the fact that the women who thanked me stuck in my mind. I suppose I have traveled enough and know the drill (i immediately take my laptop out, take off my shoes and coat, etc) that they don't need to give me any instructions.

It is little things like this that piss me off, though. My purse has a little outside pocket that I keep my sunglasses in, a pen, and usually I have a few business cards stuck in there, maybe a dollar or two. I usually put my purse in the bin with my shoes. One time, the screener says, "No, you don't need to put the purse in the bin, just put it on the belt." Now, my shoes are in the bin and since it is half empty, why can't the purse go in there? You tell me. The screener puts my purse on the belt, upside down, and all the things in the little pocket fall out. At the other end, I get admonished, "You know, having your pen fall out like that, it can jam up the conveyor belt. You should put it in a bin." I just looked at the guy.

Fortunately my respect (fear?) of authority is so well ingrained that I never, ever say what I am thinking, unless I am pushed right to the edge.

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1794 on: December 12, 2006, 02:38:03 pm »
Thanks David!  I'm flying soon.  The thing I figured out for myself is to wear shoes that are really easy to slip on and off and don't require me to use my hands, just wiggle my feet in and out of.  That has made the process a lot easier for me. 

About the 3-1-1 rule - is that quart ziploc bag supposed to have just one container of 3 ozs. or less, or as many bottles of 3 ozs. or less that I can stuff in there?  If I'm feeling the need, could they be tiny bottles of drinking water?

I love that you use humor.  As the mother of a small child (whom I'll be travelling with), the joke about the stuck child sends terror down my spine, but the rest would feel very nice to hear while in line.  I bet it helps everyone lighten up with each other.   I especially like the patter about footwear, hardware, etc.  They are lucky to have you!

:)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1795 on: December 12, 2006, 02:41:39 pm »
I encountered something new last night. The security guard at the courthouse where I stopped made me raise my skirt and show my legs. Did he wonder whether I had a dagger concealed in my boots? Or did he just want to see my legs?? I was happy to oblige!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David

« Reply #1796 on: December 12, 2006, 03:51:27 pm »
David, not that I'm planning to fly anytime soon, but sometimes I find it difficult to get answers to specific questions from official web sites, so I'll ask you, please, if you don't mind:

Are electric shavers permitted in carry-on luggage?

I would expect razor blades are verboten, but what about electric shavers?

Thanks, pardner!  ;)

Hi Jeff!   

Electric razors are no problem.   I see them on the X-ray all the time.   

Non electric blade types are ok too.    Now a long straight razor like an old fashion Barber would use, that is different.   

Small sizzors are also OK as long as the blades are not longer than 4 inches when measured from the fulcrum (pivot).

The TSA has allowed these things to be carried on because now you can't use such items to gain access to the cockpit.     The cockpit doors are locked and Steel reinforced like a fire door.  Your not going to be able to hack your way thru using a small pair of sizzors or a Gillette disposable razor.

Yes, you could inflict harm to a fellow passenger, but not more than one.    Today the public has an awareness of danger now.    If a single person were to start a fight on a plane,  10-20 men will jump out of their seats and beat the guy into submission.    This has been proven already. 

Richard Reid (the infamous shoe bomber) was caught by a fellow passenger who thought he was trying to light a cigarrette.   She was angry because she figured if she can't smoke, why should he?   so she alerted the flight attendant.   This lady came over and told him not to light matches and try to sneek a smoke.   He in turn bit her on the arm!     She screamed and several male passengers nearby tackled the guy.   A doctor on the plane opened his medical bag and pulled out every needle sedative he had and drugged the guy.   He was out like a light until the plane landed.

So today you are not only safer than ever on a plane, but your fellow passengers are part of the defence!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1797 on: December 12, 2006, 04:04:53 pm »
Thank you, David!

You're a jewel. Our own personal packing consultant!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

« Reply #1798 on: December 12, 2006, 04:05:51 pm »
Thanks David!  I'm flying soon.  The thing I figured out for myself is to wear shoes that are really easy to slip on and off and don't require me to use my hands, just wiggle my feet in and out of.  That has made the process a lot easier for me. 

Wants my best tip?    WEAR SOCKS!      So many people come thru barefoot and if you are too, then you are walking in their dirty tracks!    EWWW!    That plus many Airports have cold tile floors.  BRRR!    is the complaint I get most!

About the 3-1-1 rule - is that quart ziploc bag supposed to have just one container of 3 ozs. or less, or as many bottles of 3 ozs. or less that I can stuff in there?  If I'm feeling the need, could they be tiny bottles of drinking water?

You can put in as many 3.4 oz items as you can fit in the quart sized baggy as long as it still can be sealed.   (3.4 oz is the same as 100 ml.)    As for the water?   Why do that?   There is plenty of water on the inside of the checkpoint, plus they'll bring you water on the plane.     

Another Tip!  Bring an empty water bottle.   Then you can refill it at a drinking fountain beyond the checkpoint.

I love that you use humor.  As the mother of a small child (whom I'll be travelling with), the joke about the stuck child sends terror down my spine, but the rest would feel very nice to hear while in line.  I bet it helps everyone lighten up with each other.   I especially like the patter about footwear, hardware, etc.  They are lucky to have you!
:)

Yes, a mother did give me a look of horror when I joked about the child stuck in the Xray machine.    But I quickly reminded her that we are NOT allowed to X-ray any humans regardless of size.   Same goes for pets.   Although one woman did place her cat carrier on the belt without anyone noticing and her kitty did get X-rayed.   The guy working the Xray got quite a surprize when he saw a skeleton go by!     The Kitty was unharmed.    The radiation is no worse than what we all get at the Dentist office.

Offline David

« Reply #1799 on: December 12, 2006, 04:07:31 pm »
Thank you, David!

You're a jewel. Our own personal packing consultant!  ;D

Your welcome Jeff!     Nobody knows more about getting packed than me!   

um,  wait a minute.... that didn't sound right!!    ::)