Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4590537 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1950 on: December 29, 2006, 11:59:42 am »
Well, David, I don't think that being a job snob is the exclusive province of gay men...or even men, for that matter. I have seen the same status thing with plenty of women over the years.

This is why I like healthcare, and why I am tempermentally suited to being in a helping profession. I like knowing that what I do makes a difference. And by and large, when I was working in settings with other people, I liked my co-workers. Even physicians. Unfortunately, many suffer from the stereotype that they are out to make plenty of money and drive nice cars. In my experience that not true. The work is too hard and you'd burn out too fast if that is what is was all about.

And because I am a meek, mild, and compiant baby boomer, I would never, ever joke with the TSA people. I smile politely, put my computer in the plastic bin and take my shoes off! LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1951 on: December 29, 2006, 01:30:10 pm »
One guy who wanted to date me was horrified that I bought a PT Cruiser.   When I told him it had the fake wood siding on it he nearly fainted.   

Would've horrified me, too. Not that you bought one, instead of something allegedly more "prestigious," but because I think the PT Cruiser is one ugly bugger of a vehicle.  ;D

Driving back to Philadelphia on Wednesday, my dad and I spotted a classic Mustang rag top, in very good shape, parked behind a gas station along the highway. I'm not enough of a car buff to date the vehicle on site, but, damn, she was n-i-c-e. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1952 on: December 29, 2006, 10:21:35 pm »
Thats ok Jeff.  No offense taken.   :)

Just about every day I could think of a different car I'd like to own.   LOL.

I did consider the new 2006 Mustangs before I bought the PT Cruiser.    But the Mustang is a rear wheel drive car and that would be bad for getting to the Airport at 2:30 AM.   Of course we haven't had a lick of snow yet this year!    Go figure.

If I won the Lottery the one car I would definately buy is a 1959 Cadillac convertible.   Red of course.      I love those huge tail fins!   

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1953 on: December 30, 2006, 12:51:30 am »
I did consider the new 2006 Mustangs before I bought the PT Cruiser.    But the Mustang is a rear wheel drive car and that would be bad for getting to the Airport at 2:30 AM.   Of course we haven't had a lick of snow yet this year!    Go figure.

I don't blame you. Last car I owned was front-wheel drive, and if I ever own a vehicle again, I would never go back to rear-wheel drive.

O' course, what I'd really like to own now is some nice li'l pickup. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1954 on: December 30, 2006, 07:10:12 am »
Saturday Mornings Top Ten list!

injest  7437
Lucise  5738

Garry_LH  3805
Front-Ranger  3778
MaineWriter  3775
louisev  3165

DavidinHartford  2988
Ellemeno  2869
Pipedream  2480
Fran  2355

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1955 on: December 30, 2006, 10:28:50 am »
Saturday morning, 24 degrees and a few flakes are coming down. Like the other day, this does not really look like snow that will accumulate. We'll see, though, and I will keep everyone posted.

I will never, ever own a rear wheel drive car, ever again. I also only drive standards.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1956 on: December 30, 2006, 11:40:00 am »
I will never, ever own a rear wheel drive car, ever again. I also only drive standards.

It's funny, but in Drivers' Ed in high school--and I'm talkin' more than 30 years ago now  ;D --we were taught on automatics, and my dad only ever had automatics, so I've never learned to drive standard.

I remember, however, at times when I was a kid, getting rides with neighbors who had VW Beetles. Even when I wasn't yet old enough to drive, I remember thinking the constant upshift/downshift-upshift/downshift-upshift/downshift of city driving would drive me crazy. How do you stand it? Or are standard transmissions different now from what they were 35 years ago?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1957 on: December 30, 2006, 12:24:27 pm »
please accept my apology, I did not do it deliberately and I can see where that would be upsetting.

I am sorry
No apology needed, Jess. I've found there are worse things than being ignored.

What I really appreciated was the time I popped in to say I was listening to Bob Dylan's "Shelter from the Storm" and it reminded me of you. Your response was gracious and sincere. Now that's what we  midwesterners call manners.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1958 on: December 30, 2006, 12:34:18 pm »
It's funny, but in Drivers' Ed in high school--and I'm talkin' more than 30 years ago now  ;D --we were taught on automatics, and my dad only ever had automatics, so I've never learned to drive standard.

I remember, however, at times when I was a kid, getting rides with neighbors who had VW Beetles. Even when I wasn't yet old enough to drive, I remember thinking the constant upshift/downshift-upshift/downshift-upshift/downshift of city driving would drive me crazy. How do you stand it? Or are standard transmissions different now from what they were 35 years ago?

I learned to drive on an automatic in driver's ed, but the guy I was dating had a car with a standard, and my father did too, so I learned to drive that right off the bat. In fact, I took my driver's test in a car with a standard transmission.

Every car I have ever bought for myself has had a standard transmission. We did have minivans with automatics for a few years, but those weren't "my" cars...ie, the car I use everyday.

I don't think they are particularly different from 35 years ago (and I have been driving for 35 years!). It makes me feel like I am actually "driving" the car, as opposed to putting it in "D" and going forward.

L

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1959 on: December 30, 2006, 01:23:13 pm »
I remember my Mom trying to teach me gear shift.  About the third time I almost stripped the gears, she threw up her hands and said "I give up!"  To save the car, she relegated me to my Dad's automatic.  ;D

Hey all, I just spoke to John Gallagher and he sends his love and wishes for a Happy New Year!  He sounds in good spirits, and we're planning to meet up sometime soon.  8)

David, only a few more posts and you'll be in the purple!  Way to go!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...