Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4590314 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1960 on: December 30, 2006, 01:29:26 pm »
I have far more respect for a guy who says he manages a coffee shop than a guy who brags that he is a Commercial Real estate executive and want to see my new Porsche?

My dad told me long ago that there is no shame in doing an honest days work for an honest days pay.    Be it Doctor or Garbage man, they'd love me the same.

and that dear David... is why I love you!

Re: geared cars - I have never driven an automatic - and I fear that if I did my driving skills would all but dissapear - I'm not the best driver at the best of times but driving an automatic I thinkwould render me incapable of paying attention and I'd have some type of silly accident as I would lose concentration cos I would think I was in the dodgems or something!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1961 on: December 30, 2006, 02:14:11 pm »
and that dear David... is why I love you!

Re: geared cars - I have never driven an automatic - and I fear that if I did my driving skills would all but dissapear - I'm not the best driver at the best of times but driving an automatic I thinkwould render me incapable of paying attention and I'd have some type of silly accident as I would lose concentration cos I would think I was in the dodgems or something!!!

Ha ha and Kelda, don't you have that little problem of driving on the wrong side of the road?

A few years ago, my mother and I went to Ireland. I hadn't planned on renting a car, but at the airport, we decided to. Being the frugal folks we are, of course a standard is cheaper to rent than an automatic and I didn't even think twice. "Sure," I said, "I can drive a standard." Then when I got out to the car, I realized I would be shifting with my left hand, not my right.

It actually ended up working out just fine, but I will admit that I had about 60 seconds of a panic attack.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1962 on: December 30, 2006, 02:15:08 pm »
I remember my Mom trying to teach me gear shift.  About the third time I almost stripped the gears, she threw up her hands and said "I give up!"  To save the car, she relegated me to my Dad's automatic.  ;D

Hey all, I just spoke to John Gallagher and he sends his love and wishes for a Happy New Year!  He sounds in good spirits, and we're planning to meet up sometime soon.  8)

David, only a few more posts and you'll be in the purple!  Way to go!  8)

Thanks for the update on John, Meryl. I miss him so much..."Cowboy Etiquette: sauteed elk should be served well salted!"

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #1963 on: December 30, 2006, 02:18:47 pm »
Ha ha and Kelda, don't you have that little problem of driving on the wrong side of the road?

A few years ago, my mother and I went to Ireland. I hadn't planned on renting a car, but at the airport, we decided to. Being the frugal folks we are, of course a standard is cheaper to rent than an automatic and I didn't even think twice. "Sure," I said, "I can drive a standard." Then when I got out to the car, I realized I would be shifting with my left hand, not my right.

It actually ended up working out just fine, but I will admit that I had about 60 seconds of a panic attack.

L

:laugh:

I don't think I would have the nerve to drive in anywhere other than the UK - or where they drive on the PROPER side of the road!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1964 on: December 30, 2006, 03:05:42 pm »
:laugh:

I don't think I would have the nerve to drive in anywhere other than the UK - or where they drive on the PROPER side of the road!

Well, Kelda, add Jamaica to your list....LOL

L

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1965 on: December 30, 2006, 03:27:29 pm »
I don't think they are particularly different from 35 years ago (and I have been driving for 35 years!). It makes me feel like I am actually "driving" the car, as opposed to putting it in "D" and going forward.

I guess it depends on your "approach" to driving. In the city, for me, it is all about "putting it in 'D' and going forward"--in other words, getting somewhere.

Get me out on an Interstate, however, and hold on to your Resistols!  ;D

Quote from Kelda

I suppose much also depends on just to what you are accustomed.  I'd be afraid the need to concentrate on clutching and shifting would distract me from what was going on around me and lead to an accident.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:11:39 pm by Kelda »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1966 on: December 30, 2006, 08:45:05 pm »
I love to drive.    I learned to drive in my Dads 1977 Ford Maverick with an Automatic.   I hated that car.  LOL.      I made sure my first car was huge!   A 1974 Chrysler Newport!   

My older brother did teach me to drive a standard shift in his 1974 Ford Mustang II.   He taught me a few other things too.  Oops!  wrong forum.

The only stick shift car I have ever owned was a 1982 Cadillac Cimarron.   It was fun for about 6 months.   Then I decided it was a pain in the ass in city driving.    The little Cimarron was replaced by a huge 1989 Ford Crown Victoria.   No more standard shifts for me.     And pretty much every car since has been a huge Detroit made behemoth.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1967 on: December 30, 2006, 10:10:50 pm »
I love to drive. And I have always loved driving.

Like I said, I learned to drive on a standard in my boyfriend's pinto and dad's Ford Pinto.

In college, I had my grandmother's old car.. a 1966 Ford Fairlane (yes, automatic) nicknamed the White Bulllet.

Tony had a car named Big Boy when I first met him (what a boat that was).

The first car we bought together was a Datsun B210, in a really ugly brown. We drove that thing into the ground.

Since then, we have gone through Subarus, minivans, and lately, Saabs.

Like I said, I only drive standards. That's my line in the transmission. LOL

L

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1968 on: December 30, 2006, 11:18:51 pm »
Jesus H.! My first car was a Ford Pinto, bought by my dad before my senior year in high school. Chicken-livered as I am, I didn't want a car as soon as I got my license (toward the end of my sophomore year--despite the distinction  ;D). I didn't think I was ready for it. By senior year though, my mother deviled my father until he made up his mind and bought the Pinto, so I wouldn't have to ride the very smoke-filled city buses to and from school (smoked-filled buses: we're talking 1975 here).

Next up was an automatic Mustang II, again bought by my dad when I was in college. Had so damn much trouble with the ignition--doing 60 on an Interstate, the engine would just stop--stop!--I would never have a Ford again if they gave me one on a silver platter.

Then came a Chevrolet Chevette. Remember the Chevette?  ;D Only brand-new vehicle I've ever had. Damn fine little car. Broke a fan belt once at high speed on an Interstate in Richmond, Virginia, but otherwise never gave us a bit of trouble. I would buy a Chevrolet again.

Hey, David, did you get yourself a police uniform to go with that Crown Vic?  ;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1969 on: December 31, 2006, 03:27:44 am »
Kelda, you think an automatic transmission would make you focus less on driving - try cruise control.  You practically get the urge to crawl in the back seat and take a nap while the car drives itself.