Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4590057 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4450 on: August 10, 2007, 10:13:07 am »
Speaking of Turkey: David, I had to think of you when flying back from Turkey.
I think no American would ever again complain about the TSA after travelling from Antalya Airport. We were controlled 6 times!

First securitiy check directly behind the entrance doors: all baggage, all carry-on baggage, jackets, hats, etc. went through a screening machine. And people had to lift their baggage themselves. No officers to help. Everybody had to go through the metal detectors. Only then you were allowed to enter the terminal.

Second check: at the check-in counter, every person had to show up personally, the passports were checked and the photos compared.

Third check: the "ususal" securitiy check, which is your job: screening of the carry-on baggage, all liquids out in a small plastic bag, etc. Going through a metal detector again.

Fourth check: passport control by customs officers/state officials/whatever

Fifth: at the entrance of the gate: the same procedure: screening of carry-on baggage, jackets, etc. and again through the metal detector.

Sixth: boarding: the airline peronal not only checked the boarding passes, no, they also checked the passports again.

My husband wondered whether they have metall detectors and passport controlls in front of the restroom entrance  :laugh:  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4451 on: August 10, 2007, 12:59:36 pm »
it makes me grateful that I went out at the ultra-efficient Heathrow airport.  I wonder how ultra-efficient they are going to be at SFO this afternoon.  +++SHUDDER+++
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4452 on: August 10, 2007, 01:12:07 pm »
Speaking of Turkey, Chrissi....I received a second postcard from you the other day. Both arrived, even though one did not have the proper postage. I guess they had no way of returning it and no way of collecting the missing postage, so it just got sent along.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4453 on: August 10, 2007, 04:22:38 pm »
Speaking of Turkey, Chrissi....I received a second postcard from you the other day. Both arrived, even though one did not have the proper postage. I guess they had no way of returning it and no way of collecting the missing postage, so it just got sent along.

L

Thanks for telling me Leslie. I have feedback from several Brokies that they got two postcards. I believe they all got through.  :laugh:

Maybe the guy who told me about the postage was wrong. Or he wanted to sell some more postcards and stamps  :laugh:. Who knows?
I can't help but find it funny.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4454 on: August 11, 2007, 06:39:37 am »
Morning all,

53 degrees here this morning! There is a definite chill in the air. But blue skies and a beautiful day are promised. We are off to NH for the day to hobnob with the French President.

No, seriously, we are going to visit Hannah for a day off from camp!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4455 on: August 11, 2007, 06:57:29 am »
No, seriously, we are going to visit Hannah for a day off from camp!

L

It confuses me for a second every time I read you talking about Hannah  ;D.

BTW: the bitching about the weather helped. Again  :D! It's a bit warmer today and no rain yet (no sun either). Cross your fingers for our BBQ in the evening.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4456 on: August 11, 2007, 10:10:02 am »
BRRR!      Isn't it weird?     I had the heat on in the car last night !!!  :o
Yeah me too! LOL
Cause as high as I pushed the air up it just blew hot air!!
I guess once it gets over 100 it just can't keep up.
The official temp in Atlanta was 103 yesterday but we were at 105 according to the bank and my truck. :-\
Should be the same or hotter today! :-\
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4457 on: August 11, 2007, 10:36:49 am »
Yeah me too! LOL
Cause as high as I pushed the air up it just blew hot air!!
I guess once it gets over 100 it just can't keep up.
The official temp in Atlanta was 103 yesterday but we were at 105 according to the bank and my truck. :-\
Should be the same or hotter today! :-\

Hello southern friend, Lee!  I think our heat index was 105 yesterday. On Thursday, my central AC stopped completely and I'll tell ya---it was hot as hell in this house Thursday night! Yeah, I opened the windows, but was there a cool breeze---no. Just more hot, still air. Thankfully, the AC man here in town returned my frantic voice mail message first thing Friday morning, came and cleaned the AC unit, and now -- it's cooling much better than anytime all summer!

OK, ok---I'm going. I know I don't have 1,000.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4458 on: August 11, 2007, 01:37:25 pm »
Shasta, you keep posting away.  You're almost to 1000.  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4459 on: August 11, 2007, 02:48:06 pm »
LOL---Thanks, Elle!!! Now if my chatting counted up for posts, I'd already be there!!  ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~