Author Topic: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?  (Read 47166 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2008, 06:00:41 pm »
Thanks all of you!!

May I say:
Why wally in the valley of despair? - like Dr. King said!! Annie's story to me brings hope... determination for us all to go on top of that mountain like Jack and Ennis for happiness by love for us all, I say! And come back into the valley to make there better and better too, by changing that also... for continued love shared!!

WE can think that
the... character Lureen was not meant to be portrayed as a Lesbian.
THat is because Jack and Ennis are the main ones. Lureen is not just secondary, upon re-thought. She is lesbian, she knows that or not, when she is pregnant - may I question ?? !!

I feel strongly that she is lesbian and am happy with her actions, throughout.

Must rush... see your thoughts later all of you!!

HUgs!!  May all Lureens realize their dreams, and Jacks too, as well as Ennis'... and others !!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2008, 06:14:26 pm »
I feel strongly that she is lesbian and am happy with her actions, throughout.

Artiste, you have addressed this issue on a number of threads lately. You've also started a thread devoted to discussing this topic.

From now on, I would ask that you and others discuss Lureen's possible pregnancy on this thread, and discuss Lureen's possible lesbianism on the thread that you have started for that purpose.

Thanks!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2008, 07:05:12 pm »
Well, this is a debate we've had before and it looks like we're still on opposite sides of it.  ;)

I'm sure other gay men have done that. Ennis, for example. But to me, Jack looks pretty lonely on the dance floor. And in the backseat he looks like someone who suddenly realizes he has bitten off more than he can chew.

I guess we have discussed this, haven't we?

He briefly looks a little surprised ("You are in a hurry!"), but that's not a boy who's bitten off more than he can chew. That's a boy who's surprised he's apparently going to get more than he expected. (It's 1966 and "nice girls don't," after all.) But when he tells Lureen that, fast or slow, he just likes the direction she's goin', that's a young man who's very happy that his gun's goin' a go off. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2008, 08:37:35 pm »
He briefly looks a little surprised ("You are in a hurry!"), but that's not a boy who's bitten off more than he can chew. That's a boy who's surprised he's apparently going to get more than he expected. (It's 1966 and "nice girls don't," after all.) But when he tells Lureen that, fast or slow, he just likes the direction she's goin', that's a young man who's very happy that his gun's goin' a go off. ...

You know what some say. . . it don't matter what they look like, cause when the lights go out, it's either feast or famine, honey. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2008, 09:09:56 pm »
If she WAS already pregnant, it wouldn't have much consequence for the rest of the movie. It would explain their hasty marriage, but that can be attributed to more obvious factors. She was attracted to Jack, she was bold and assertive and went for what she wanted. He was broke and tired of striking out with men, found her appealing in a Platonic way, and was resigned to conforming to cultural expectations of what men were supposed to do.

The only repercussions a possible existing pregnancy creates are: It helps explain why Jack was so amenable to ditching his family of the sweet life. And it explains why L.D. Newsome backed down so quickly over Thanksgiving dinner.

I think that actually proves the contrary. If Jack wasn't the father and supposing LD Newsome actually knew it (which I doubt), he would feel more powerful to tell Jack to shut up in that scene. He would have plenty of reason to remind Jack he is a nobody in the family, not even Bobby's actual dad.

Also there was no need for Jack not to be Bobby's biological dad in order to be amenable to ditching his family. Many people abandon their kids for a lot of reasons, both women and men. One thing has nothing to do with the other. 

For the record, I don't think Lureen was pregnant before meeting Jack. To me that theory makes no sense within the plot.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2008, 10:00:19 pm »

To me, he looks like he's going along to get along. When the action takes a more drastic turn than he expected, not only does he look surprised, but his smile, to me, looks very fake. I guess this is just one a them debates that's in the eye of the beholder.

For example, if I were desperate for sex, and someone of the, well, "wrong" gender offered it ... well, no offense to anyone but, to put it delicately, I think I'd wind up still desperate for sex. I mean, if all you want is to get your gun off, do you even really need another person at all? (Sorry, I guess that's not all that delicate.) On the other hand, it's possible that, as a typical woman, I'm less desperate for sex in general than the early-20s man. Either that, or more self-sufficient!  :laugh:

You and I have discussed this before, Jeff, but I'd be curious what other gay men have to say. Do y'all think the typical early-20-something gay guy would be happy, in a pinch, to get it wherever he can?

I think that actually proves the contrary. If Jack wasn't the father and supposing LD Newsome actually knew it (which I doubt), he would feel more powerful to tell Jack to shut up in that scene. He would have plenty of reason to remind Jack he is a nobody in the family, not even Bobby's actual dad.

True, that could be, too. My thinking was that, if Lureen was already pregnant, and the family knows it, then for years they've depended on Jack to uphold his end of a lie. He hasn't held it over them, until now. He's allowed L.D. to be the stud duck. But when push comes to shove, he reminds them -- "this is MY child" -- that he has the power to destroy Lureen's (and the Newsomes') reputation.

Also there was no need for Jack not to be Bobby's biological dad in order to be amenable to ditching his family. Many people abandon their kids for a lot of reasons, both women and men. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Oh, I know many people abandon their kids, but I don't agree that one has nothing to do with the other. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It's perfectly plausible that Jack would be willing to abandon his biological child. But if Bobby were NOT his biological child, he'd have a tiny bit less motivation to stick around.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2008, 11:44:42 pm »
To me, he looks like he's going along to get along. When the action takes a more drastic turn than he expected, not only does he look surprised, but his smile, to me, looks very fake. I guess this is just one a them debates that's in the eye of the beholder.

It must be, because all the times I've seen this film, I see nothing fake or forced in Jack's smile. Besides, it just doesn't seem logical to me. If Jack wasn't interested in being, er, intimate with Lureen, he wouldn't have gone parking with her in the first place. Surely he wasn't so naive as not to see what direction she was heading, with her aggressive pursuit of him at the bar, even if he wasn't expecting to go all the way.

For example, if I were desperate for sex, and someone of the, well, "wrong" gender offered it ... well, no offense to anyone but, to put it delicately, I think I'd wind up still desperate for sex. I mean, if all you want is to get your gun off, do you even really need another person at all? (Sorry, I guess that's not all that delicate.)

I'd probably end up "still desperate" myself, too, and of course you don't need someone else just to make your gun go off, but I also know guys--guys much older than age 20--who constantly whine about "not getting any" and not being content with taking matters into their own hands. I don't know what to say to them. Usually I just want to slap them and tell them to go jerk off and get over it.  :laugh:

On the other hand, it's possible that, as a typical woman, I'm less desperate for sex in general than the early-20s man. Either that, or more self-sufficient!  :laugh:

Wait till your boys are Jack's age. ...  8)

You and I have discussed this before, Jeff, but I'd be curious what other gay men have to say. Do y'all think the typical early-20-something gay guy would be happy, in a pinch, to get it wherever he can?

Maybe that's the key. I'm not sure Jack in that scene should be judged on the basis of "the typical early-20-something gay guy." A 20-year-old who came out early and was adjusted and content in his sexual orientation would probably not have gotten into that car with Lureen in the first place. A 20-year-old who was trying to repress his sexual orientation to fit in to society, or who was still a little confused and grappling with his sexual orientation, or who simply was in denial--none of which may apply to Jack Twist in 1966--might, caught up in the heat of the moment, be perfectly happy to be getting it on--or off--with Lureen.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2008, 11:58:25 pm »
I think how one perceives Jack's reactions in the back of the car, just goes right back into the never-ending debate about whether Jack is bisexual or really entirely gay.  If a viewer thinks he's bisexual they'll see it one way... and if they thinks he's gay they'll see it another way.

It all boils down to nuanced personal interpretations of things like facial expression.  Really, the debate could truly be endless...

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2008, 12:09:58 am »
Thanks to all of you!!

To me, in this stage of the game, indeed Lureen is pregnant when she meets Jack; that is evident!!

I can NOT refrain from saying that Lureen is lesbian, since that colours her life, and others!!

Her being lesbian is intertwine in many ways, with Jack and with others, I say; that I can not help but continue to awaken hopefully some of you on that!!

Since I must rush, more later. I do need help to think and maybe proof with your thoughts about Lureen being lesbian on my aformentioned thread as such.

Hugs!!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2008, 02:37:10 am »

I can NOT refrain from saying that Lureen is lesbian, since that colours her life, and others!!

You do not need to refrain from saying so, you can discuss this topic as long as you want - at the appropriate thread, which is here:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16321.0.html

But please stop to repeat the same thing again and again all over the forum.
Please see also my explaining PM to you.

Thanks!