Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1144872 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #710 on: February 25, 2008, 02:27:53 am »
I wonder, though, if they changed the dates of deaths -- from calendar year 2007 to Jan 31, 2007 to Feb. 1, 2008, or whatever it was -- so they could include Heath while he was still fresh in everyone's minds.

I think they did, totally.  The moment they showed those dates up on screen, you knew you were going to see Heath.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #711 on: February 25, 2008, 02:34:09 am »
Laura, Katherine, can you describe what they showed about Heath? For us Europeans, living under a rock still?  ;)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #712 on: February 25, 2008, 02:43:30 am »
Laura, Katherine, can you describe what they showed about Heath? For us Europeans, living under a rock still?  ;)

You beat me too it Chrissi.  ;)

The Oscars was an 30 seconds item on the radio news this morning. Hollywood is a looooong way away.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #713 on: February 25, 2008, 03:38:26 am »
You beat me too it Chrissi.  ;)

The Oscars was an 30 seconds item on the radio news this morning. Hollywood is a looooong way away.

Fabienne, our BM buds talked at length and live about the Oscars in this thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,17660.0.html

Interesting in regard to Heath are mostly pages 4 and 5. Here's what they showed of Heath:

it was two shots of him up against Aguirre's trailer from the beginning of the movie, one with head down, other head up, but looking sideways (avoiding getting caught looking at jack)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #714 on: February 25, 2008, 04:42:55 am »
I can't believe that was all! WTF.

The Academy strikes again.  >:(

I'm glad I wasn't watching.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 25, 2008, 08:24:32 am »
I can't believe that was all! WTF.

The Academy strikes again.  >:(

I'm glad I wasn't watching.

I've refused to watch the Oscars ever since THAT ceremony two years ago. I'll NEVER forgive them for what they did.  >:(   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #716 on: February 25, 2008, 09:13:07 am »
I've refused to watch the Oscars ever since THAT ceremony two years ago. I'll NEVER forgive them for what they did.  >:(   :'(

Me too, Kerry, I have lost complete and utter interest in the whole thing. I used to actually be up all night listening to the radio, now I couldn't care less. The Academy made a complete fool of itself two years ago and they will never be able to make up for it now.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #717 on: February 25, 2008, 11:34:57 am »
I never was able to boycott the Oscars, even after the debacle two years ago. I just enjoy watching them way too much. The thing is, you just can't take them seriously or invest any importance in who wins or loses the awards -- or even who does or doesn't get nominated.

I watch them for the fashions and hairstyles and for Jon Stewart's jokes and for the celebrity spotting. I could do without the boring overproduced musical numbers and the stilted presenters' jokes and the way the unfamous people tend to get cut off and rushed through their acceptance speeches.

At the end, it's always a letdown because inevitably some movies and people you believe deserved awards don't get them. But by next year at this time, it will be almost impossible to remember who won what, anyway.

The Heath tribute's brevity was disappointing, but I can sympathize with the dilemma the producers faced. Much of the tragedy of Heath's death -- to non Brokies, anyway -- lay in his youth and potential and the avoidability of his fate. Outside of his masterpiece, BBM, most of Heath's movies are either sort of lightweight or fairly obscure. It's hard to know how to play that against those who have had longer careers, full of accomplishments, like Ingmar Bergman, or even who had notable positions in the Academy, like Jack Valenti. They did the best they could, considering they only had $24 in a coffee can.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #718 on: February 25, 2008, 03:50:03 pm »
The Heath tribute's brevity was disappointing, but I can sympathize with the dilemma the producers faced. Much of the tragedy of Heath's death -- to non Brokies, anyway -- lay in his youth and potential and the avoidability of his fate. Outside of his masterpiece, BBM, most of Heath's movies are either sort of lightweight or fairly obscure. It's hard to know how to play that against those who have had longer careers, full of accomplishments, like Ingmar Bergman, or even who had notable positions in the Academy, like Jack Valenti. They did the best they could, considering they only had $24 in a coffee can.

I did my own nice long Oscar Night tribute last night. I watched Brokeback.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #719 on: February 25, 2008, 04:03:41 pm »
any videos so we can see?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/