Author Topic: Major Developments Update: Last updated 2/8/08  (Read 33058 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Major Developments Update: Last updated 2/8/08
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:44:29 pm »
Check this message for the latest developments you can find on the story in this forum.  News accounts can be read in their entirety in the News Accounts thread, excepting TMZ stories which have their own thread.

• Late afternoon Friday, Jan. 25:  Heath's body removed from Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home and taken to an undisclosed location,
    probably an airport.  No sign of family members at the funeral home.  Publicity agent Mara Buxbaum tells the NY Times that there are no plans for a    public memorial service in Los Angeles
  • Saturday morning, Jan. 26:  Michelle Wiliams and Matilda leave Brooklyn for a flight to Los Angeles
  • Saturday night, Jan. 26:  A private memorial for Heath is held in LA, according to various sources.  It consists of a dinner at the Beverly Hills Hotel with family and friends, including Naomi Watts, and a visit to the Westwood Village Memorial Park and Mortuary.
  • Saturday night, Jan. 26:  A memorial to Heath is part of the G'Day USA gala at NY's Waldorf Astoria Hotel
  • Sunday night, Jan. 27:  A memorial to Heath is part of the Annual SAG Awards telecast.  Best Actor winner Daniel Day-Lewis pays tribute to Heath and dedicates his award to him.
  • Monday night, Jan. 28:  Heath's father, Kim Ledger, arrives in New York
  • Tuesday, Jan. 29:  Kim Ledger visits Heath's 421 Broome Street apartment
  • Friday, Feb. 1: Michelle Williams issues her statement to the press
  • Saturday afternoon, Feb. 2:  A private memorial service is held on the Sony Pictures lot, attended by friends and colleagues, among them Todd Haynes, Sienna Miller, Shannyn Sossamon, Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes and Ellen Degeneres
  • Sunday, Feb. 3:  The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the Ledger family will have a private funeral in Perth and that Heath will be buried in Karrakatta Cemetery.  The Guildford Grammar School may be the site of a later public memorial service.
  • Tuesday, Feb. 5:  Ledger family arrives in Perth.  Private funeral services scheduled for Saturday at Karrakatta.
  • Wednesday, Feb. 6:  Toxicology results released by NYC Medical Examiner.  Cause of death ruled "accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."  Michelle Williams and Matilda arrive in Perth.
  • Thursday, Feb. 7: Jake Gyllenhaal, among other friends, arrives in Perth.
  • Friday evening, February 8 (Saturday morning in Perth):  Kim Ledger speaks to the press, offering them a position to photograph mourners arriving and leaving a memorial service held at Penhros College in Como, south of Perth.  A private funeral for 10 family members follows at Karrakatta Cemetery.  A dinner is held later at Indiana Tea House on Cottesloe Beach, a favorite place of Heath's.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 01:09:42 am by Meryl »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Major Developments Update! - Thu 9:38am ET/1438 UTC
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:20:29 am »
  • 9:38am No illegal drugs were found in the apartment.

Whew.

• 9:38am Testing on a rolled-up $20 bill revealed no presence of drugs.

Whew.

• 9:38am Jack Nicholson clarified his remarks - saying he warned Ledger about Ambien, -not- illegal drugs.

Whew.

• 9:38am Heath's revised time of death is 1:30pm EST.  He would have been deceased before the arrival of the masseuse, making her actions inconsequential.

Whew.

• 9:38am All prescription medication was found in their respective bottles, not tossed about the room.

Whew.

• 9:38am The masseuse's hesitation and calls to Ledger friend Mary Kate Olsen were "out of concern for a media frenzy."

Whew.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:49:59 am »

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:37:31 pm »
Whew.

It must be human nature or maybe it sells more tabloids to assume the worse.  So far so qood.  I don't want him to join the ranks of a River Phoenix type.  Though of course, Heath was a much more talented actor in my opinion and was heading for a much higher trajectory in his career.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:41:46 pm »
As I just wrote on a different thread, personally I don't care if he did take drugs. But I don't want to see his memory besmirched by those who would make an issue of it.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
Re: Major Developments Update! - Thu 11:43am ET/1643 UTC
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:25:08 pm »
Thank you for this Philip...and yes...WHEW is the word. 
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Major Developments Update! - Thu 11:43am ET/1643 UTC
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=294482&GT1=7701

Funeral Arrangements for Ledger Complete
Jan. 24, 2008, 4:42 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- Funeral arrangements for Heath Ledger have been completed and his relatives were expected to arrive in New York on Friday, a funeral home spokesman said.

George Amado, the general manager of the Frank E. Campbell funeral home, refused to disclose further details, saying any additional information would have to come from Ledger's manager.

"The family doesn't want us to give out any information," he said Thursday.

The 28-year-old actor's body was taken to the funeral home on Manhattan's Upper East Side on Wednesday, a day after he was found dead in his SoHo loft with bottles of prescription drugs nearby.

An autopsy Wednesday was inconclusive and further test results weren't expected for several days, medical examiner's office spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said. Police have said the Australian-born actor's death may have been caused by a drug overdose and appeared to be accidental.

News: Investigation continues in determining how actor died

Ledger's housekeeper and a massage therapist found the "Brokeback Mountain" star dead Tuesday, lying naked and face-down on his bed. Police said no illegal drugs were found in the apartment.

There were six different types of prescription drugs in the apartment, including pills to treat insomnia and anxiety, and an antihistamine, according to two law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. The officials said three of the drugs were prescribed in Europe. Ledger had recently been filming in London.

On Thursday, the makeshift memorial outside Ledger's apartment building had grown to more than 100 bouquets including tulips, daisies, carnations and tropical flowers, along with candles, signs, notes and other memorials. A computer printout of an Australian flag bore the message: "We will always be proud of you, Heath. Rest in peace, mate. You will be missed."

Some of Ledger's friends and relatives said they were baffled by the actor's death because he had appeared to be happy and healthy in the last months of his life.

Haydn Ledger, one of his uncles, said his nephew wouldn't have done anything rash. "It just wouldn't come into the equation at all," he said Thursday in an interview on CBS' "The Early Show."

He and Mike Ledger, another of the actor's uncles, deflected a question about whether their nephew had been depressed, saying that should be left to his parents to address.

Ledger told The New York Times in November that working on the films "The Dark Knight" — his last finished performance — and "I'm Not There" had been stressful, and that he had taken the insomnia medication Ambien to help with sleeplessness.

Police said a housekeeper went into his bedroom to change a light bulb Tuesday and saw him sleeping and heard him snoring around 1 p.m.

"I didn't think anything was wrong," the housekeeper, Teresa Solomon, told the New York Post. She said she was "still shaking" and unable to sleep a day after the actor's death.

At 2:45 p.m., the massage therapist showed up for Ledger's appointment, knocked on his door and got no answer. She later noticed Ledger was unconscious and called actress Mary-Kate Olsen, whose number was programmed into Ledger's cell phone, to seek advice, police said.

Olsen said she would send over her private security. In the ensuing moments, the massage therapist realized that Ledger might be dead, called Olsen again, and then called 911. Paramedics — and Olsen's security people — arrived minutes later.

Before moving to Manhattan, Ledger lived with then-girlfriend Michelle Williams — who played his wife in "Brokeback" — in Brooklyn, and the couple had a daughter, the now 2-year-old Matilda. The couple split last year.

Williams and Matilda returned to their Brooklyn home Wednesday evening from Trollhattan, Sweden. The 27-year-old actress had been there shooting scenes for the upcoming film "Mammoth," said Martin Stromberg, a spokesman for film production company Memfis Film.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Re: Major Developments Update! - Thu 4:42pm ET/2142 UTC
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:52:11 pm »
I dont know if this has been mentioned on the american media machine but it has been reported here in Australia, that his funeral may take place in the chapel of his old school in Perth.......Guildford Grammar school, an excusive private school where Heath spent all his schooling years.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 06:55:39 pm »
We did get the news that his family had arrived to finalize the arrangements for bringing him back to Perth.

I am very relieved that they are doing this - it is not only fitting, but will deny those protestors a chance to make a travesty of his funeral.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:25:14 pm »
I'm very glad to read Nicholson clarified his remark about drugs - nka Ambien.

The media is always quick to make someone another victim of the fast living movie industry, living hard, partying hard and dying young.  Gah, Heath would have hated all this.  I hope he will be put to rest peacefully in Perth.